Main Menu

Hopefully this time it will continue...... engine rebuild

Started by mopar thunder, January 18, 2018, 04:38:56 AM

Previous topic Next topic

mopar thunder

For anyone still following.... the headers pipes were "adjusted" and are fine now. I will, once I get it broken in, have to go for a new set but I 'm waiting on that for now. The Electric water pump spacer was milled to fit so now the hose can go on. I believe it is all just bolt on stuff now.....  :fingerscrossed:  So once that is completed the engine can be primed and checked, once that is completed on to installation and the Dyno. IF....... something else comes up I have to just go pick it up and bring it down here and finish it. I can't risk winter coming in and the weather stalling things again.

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

Brads70

mopar thunder

Unfortunately ....... no..... :tired: I have been asking for the progress to get to a certain point but it just hasn't happened. And now there is a BIG cruise in Ocean City Maryland happening so all work probably for the last 2 weeks went towards cars going there.  So I am guessing it might pick up sometime next week. I asked for it to be completed by the end of the month since I have to travel but was told it probably wouldn't happen.

Brads70

Quote from: mopar thunder on October 05, 2018, 04:50:24 AM
Unfortunately ....... no..... :tired: I have been asking for the progress to get to a certain point but it just hasn't happened. And now there is a BIG cruise in Ocean City Maryland happening so all work probably for the last 2 weeks went towards cars going there.  So I am guessing it might pick up sometime next week. I asked for it to be completed by the end of the month since I have to travel but was told it probably wouldn't happen.

Bummer it would be nice to get it running before the car season ends... ( winter)
Just realized your one of the lucky ones that winter has little effect on ( Florida)  :bravo:

Chryco Psycho

Still folowing , very interested in the results of this build  :twothumbsup:

mopar thunder

I am hoping to get it by Christmas. I don't want to go back and drive the truck and trailer down in winter weather.

Chryco Psycho

good thing is is not in Alberta , you would be driving in winter weather last week  :bricks:

mopar thunder

My dreams of getting my car back by the end of the year are drawing thinner.   :tired: I thought we had a chance but during final clean up of stuff they came across the rocker arm shaft issue. it appears the first builder might have had to much spring seat pressure. Not sure what else it could be but the bearings certainly didn't do that just from driving only couple hundred miles and a few times down the track.  We were getting all set to just turn it over to check for leaks then install it. Just another set back that can be fixed. New shafts ordered, set up for turn over being assembled....   :wrenching: with any luck (not that I have had much with this build) we will install and possibly dyno before the end of the year. More than likely I won't be able to pick it up until January..... I know there will be a storm when I plan to get it.

1 Wild R/T

I've never liked bearings in rocker fulcrums.... The location is better suited to bushings.... I know of a couple guys running spring pressure in the 800# over the nose range & they say the bushings take it better than bearings.... 

Brads70

Well that just sucks. Are the bearings getting oil other than splash?

Chryco Psycho

gzig5

Everyone always assumes that roller/ball bearings are superior in every application but the reality is that plain bearings/bushings typically have a greater load bearing capability.  Maybe if the needle roller extended all the way through the body rather than two little short ones, but I've never seen it that way on a rocker.

mopar thunder

Quote from: Brads70 on November 27, 2018, 11:41:03 AM
Well that just sucks. Are the bearings getting oil other than splash?
I thought it did in the old block but not sure. Prior to the first rebuild I didn't have an issue.  After the first rebuild it wasn't running very long so really didn't have a chance to see just knew the mains went. The new block will have a front and rear return.  We will be priming the system soon to see (make sure) there is enough before we put it on the dyno. This is an easy enough fix.

mopar thunder

Next update..... the shafts got replaced and we got the setup to spin it to make sure the oil and water are moving properly. Well not the best news, oil wasn't moving correctly, in fact just spitting out of the line. And there seemed to be an air sound coming from the lifters. We found out they are not the right lifters, as told by Mr. Ritter,  for the block. Now we have to figure out the correct ones. Checking the oil pump next. It is the standard high volume oil pump. Good news is there weren't any leaks however it wasn't under full oil pressure. I was so hoping to have it buttoned up by Christmas...  :tired:  I just don't know when it will happen.  :clueless: