Main Menu

Motor Mount Information

Started by Gary AAR, January 13, 2021, 07:48:48 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Gary AAR

I had been struggling to find a good quality reproduction motor mount for my 70 AAR Cuda with original 340 motor and K-member.  Finally found what in my opinion is a quality part from Oreilly's Auto Parts.  I wanted a motor mount that had the appearance of an original motor mount, and not a solid or poly mount.  My search had gone as follows:
* Searched this forum for motor mount info, and found some good, but mostly bad comments about what is currently available in terms of an original appearing motor.
* Contacted Roseville, but they sell Anchor brand mounts that appear to have both quality and fit-up issues.
* Tried to source Mity Mounts through YearOne, but they were on a long back order list.  Mity Mounts have also had fit-up issues as reported by other members on this site.
* Ordered Mag Mounts from Mancini, but returned them after inspection identified fit-up issues.
* Looked at mounts from Pioneer, but they appear to have quality issues similar to Anchor parts.
* Went to Oreilly's, and found a motor mount that in my opinion appears to be a quality part.

Oreilly's had parts from two suppliers under the same Oreilly part number B2250.  One supplier was Anchor, and the other supplier was a company called Perfection.  A tech support person from Perfection told me Oreilly's is transitioning away from Anchor and to Perfection.  Comparing the Perfection part to my original motor mount, it matched very well.  The steel was the same thickness, the weld nut was the same size, and the rubber-to-steel bonding appeared to be done well.  I purchased the Perfection parts, and have installed them on my K-member.  Bolt holes lined up well, and the mount sat flat on the K-member.  I have not yet installed the engine onto the mounts, but the initial fit-up looks good.

The mount from Perfection is made in India, which made me skeptical at first.  The are made by a company called Anand Motor Products (AMP).  An internet search of the company AMP found they produce a lot of vibration mounting parts for many name brand auto and industrial companies.  If you look for these parts at Oreilly's, be aware they still have old inventory of Anchor parts.  You will need to have them look for new inventory from Perfection with the supplier part number 1739PA2250 as shown in the attached photo.  The "1739" portion of the part number is a date code, so that portion will be different from part to part.

Long story I know, but thought this would help other members looking for a stock appearing motor mount for their 340 powered car.

RUNCHARGER

Let us know if the bond lasts.  I have been installing allen head through bolts on them all for a decade now. It would be nice to find a decent choice.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

I still install a 1" wide 1/8" thick strap from the engine ear to the crossbolt through the mount so it will save your rad / shroud / hose when the mount fails . :alan2cents:
It is barely visable .

GrandpaKevin

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on January 14, 2021, 06:01:28 PM
I still install a 1" strap from the engine ear to the crossbolt through the mount so it will save you rad / shroud / hose when the mount fails . :alan2cents:

I use a good old turnbuckle for peace of mind.

Fish Tale

I still install a 1" wide 1/8" thick strap from the engine ear to the crossbolt through the mount so it will save your rad / shroud / hose when the mount fails . :alan2cents:
It is barely visable .

Chryco Psycho - do you have a picture of that setup?  And do you do it with any engine, being it a 340, 383, 440, etc?

Fish Tale

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on January 13, 2021, 08:20:39 AM
Let us know if the bond lasts.  I have been installing allen head through bolts on them all for a decade now. It would be nice to find a decent choice.

RUNCHARGER - So you drill a hole through the entire mount and install an allen bolt to secure it?

Mrbill426

@Gary AAR how are those mounts working out???

Quote from: Gary AAR on January 13, 2021, 07:48:48 AM
I had been struggling to find a good quality reproduction motor mount for my 70 AAR Cuda with original 340 motor and K-member.  Finally found what in my opinion is a quality part from Oreilly's Auto Parts.  I wanted a motor mount that had the appearance of an original motor mount, and not a solid or poly mount.  My search had gone as follows:
* Searched this forum for motor mount info, and found some good, but mostly bad comments about what is currently available in terms of an original appearing motor.
* Contacted Roseville, but they sell Anchor brand mounts that appear to have both quality and fit-up issues.
* Tried to source Mity Mounts through YearOne, but they were on a long back order list.  Mity Mounts have also had fit-up issues as reported by other members on this site.
* Ordered Mag Mounts from Mancini, but returned them after inspection identified fit-up issues.
* Looked at mounts from Pioneer, but they appear to have quality issues similar to Anchor parts.
* Went to Oreilly's, and found a motor mount that in my opinion appears to be a quality part.

Oreilly's had parts from two suppliers under the same Oreilly part number B2250.  One supplier was Anchor, and the other supplier was a company called Perfection.  A tech support person from Perfection told me Oreilly's is transitioning away from Anchor and to Perfection.  Comparing the Perfection part to my original motor mount, it matched very well.  The steel was the same thickness, the weld nut was the same size, and the rubber-to-steel bonding appeared to be done well.  I purchased the Perfection parts, and have installed them on my K-member.  Bolt holes lined up well, and the mount sat flat on the K-member.  I have not yet installed the engine onto the mounts, but the initial fit-up looks good.

The mount from Perfection is made in India, which made me skeptical at first.  The are made by a company called Anand Motor Products (AMP).  An internet search of the company AMP found they produce a lot of vibration mounting parts for many name brand auto and industrial companies.  If you look for these parts at Oreilly's, be aware they still have old inventory of Anchor parts.  You will need to have them look for new inventory from Perfection with the supplier part number 1739PA2250 as shown in the attached photo.  The "1739" portion of the part number is a date code, so that portion will be different from part to part.

Long story I know, but thought this would help other members looking for a stock appearing motor mount for their 340 powered car.

FSHTAIL

Do you have a picture of your setup?

I've never thought about that before..    :unbelievable:

It is barely visable .
1973 BS23H Cuda' 340/TKX 5 speed (70 AAR clone-ish)

Gary AAR

@Mrbill426 Since my original post I have installed the engine/transmission on the k-member, but do not have the assembly underneath the car.  So nothing new to report about the quality/durability of the motor mounts.   

Mrbill426

@Gary AAR got it... thanks. 

Quote from: Gary AAR on May 25, 2021, 07:14:36 AM
@Mrbill426 Since my original post I have installed the engine/transmission on the k-member, but do not have the assembly underneath the car.  So nothing new to report about the quality/durability of the motor mounts.

chargerdon

on my 360 i put in a new motor mount from Oreillys about 4 years ago...  It lasted about 6 months before the rubber broke on it and it had to be replaced.   Luckily nothing really got damaged.   

Instead of replacing it with another "stock" mount from one of the local parts stores, i bought a set from Mancini Racing that in addition to the rubber mount also has a bolt thru is so that if the rubber or glue fails the bolt will still protect your engine.   They came as a pair and i think cost around $50.   

Only bothered to put in on passenger side and it has been in for 4 years no without an issue.   

Mrbill426

I saw those and think I am going to try them.  Sad to think you have to worry about stock designed mounts these days  ::)

Quote from: chargerdon on May 25, 2021, 01:03:45 PM
on my 360 i put in a new motor mount from Oreillys about 4 years ago...  It lasted about 6 months before the rubber broke on it and it had to be replaced.   Luckily nothing really got damaged.   

Instead of replacing it with another "stock" mount from one of the local parts stores, i bought a set from Mancini Racing that in addition to the rubber mount also has a bolt thru is so that if the rubber or glue fails the bolt will still protect your engine.   They came as a pair and i think cost around $50.   

Only bothered to put in on passenger side and it has been in for 4 years no without an issue.   

JS29

I believe it's the left (drivers side) mount that is the one that takes all the punishment.   :alan2cents:

Mrbill426

Yep the left mount is the one the engine tries to pull off the frame.  Same side to place a torque strap.

Quote from: JS29 on May 25, 2021, 02:50:52 PM
I believe it's the left (drivers side) mount that is the one that takes all the punishment.   :alan2cents:

70vert

I've always used a torque strap with my 440's, B & E bodies. But when I rebuilt the motor in my current Challenger I got some poly-locs from Schumacher (along with headers) and they are excellent going on ~6 years. Sadly I understand they are no longer in business.