Main Menu

Need a good gasket for a 489 chunk

Started by scf100, February 14, 2019, 08:23:54 AM

Previous topic Next topic

scf100

Having a buddy swap the rear chunk and the housing paper gasket I got him is leaking...

what and where do you guys recommend to buy a gasket that will seal better then the standard paper ones?

Thanks,
1970 Challenger R/T convertible Triple Black

GoodysGotaCuda

Hands down a "Lube Locker" seal is -the best-

It's $25 (ouch) , requires no rtv (nice!) and is reusable (even better!). Not many Mopar folks seem to use them, but they are the "cats me-ow" of diff gaskets.

I have one on my 489 case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Rich G.

Permatex anerobic gasket maker and any gasket should do the trick.

PLUM72

The best gasket is no gasket!  Use Permatex "The Right Stuff".  Many of the OEM's are using this stuff in place of diff gaskets, trans pan gaskets, etc.  Its different than silicone.  Read up a bit on it...
https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/the-right-stuff-gasket-makers/permatex-the-right-stuff-gasket-maker/
-Dave
'72 Challenger
'13 Challenger

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: PLUM72 on February 14, 2019, 11:02:40 AM
The best gasket is no gasket!  Use Permatex "The Right Stuff".  Many of the OEM's are using this stuff in place of diff gaskets, trans pan gaskets, etc.  Its different than silicone.  Read up a bit on it...
https://www.permatex.com/products/gasketing/the-right-stuff-gasket-makers/permatex-the-right-stuff-gasket-maker/

While I swear by The Right Stuff, using rtv on an 8-3/4" is a real pain to clean both sides around all of those studs and holes.

I did that initially but would not do it again. Lube locker gasket, done deal.

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

scf100

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on February 14, 2019, 09:52:59 AM
Hands down a "Lube Locker" seal is -the best-

It's $25 (ouch) , requires no rtv (nice!) and is reusable (even better!). Not many Mopar folks seem to use them, but they are the "cats me-ow" of diff gaskets.

I have one on my 489 case

saw that one...like it just ordered........your right no one carries it.....not even on their own website!.....saw on ebay but got one from these guys.....Quick Performance

https://www.quickperformance.com/Chrysler-8-34-LubeLocker-Premium-Gasket_p_21554.html

just put a similar gasket on my 727 trans cover........great design

anlauto

I would guess your paper one leaked because the surfaces were not cleaned properly enough  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

scf100

Quote from: anlauto on February 14, 2019, 12:05:59 PM
I would guess your paper one leaked because the surfaces were not cleaned properly enough  :alan2cents:

maybe so...but surface areas not really smooth either

Rich G.

Never heard of lube locker but that looks like a great gasket.

HP_Cuda

I used the paper gasket and have absolutely no leaks but did spend considerable time cleaning the surface prior to chunk reinstall.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

scf100

Quote from: anlauto on February 14, 2019, 12:05:59 PM

What do you guys recommend to clean the surface? @anlauto

anlauto

I use those Scotch-Brite discs on a die grinder in MY shop. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration