Main Menu

Nylon wiring harness clamps

Started by Burdar, August 12, 2020, 10:15:57 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Burdar

I've been racking my brain trying to come up with a simple, clean looking way to route the wiring harness over the intake and over to the alternator. I dont have any of the factory tabs on the valve covers. I bought some nylon clamps/clips that should work over the intake. I need to secure the harness around the alternator as well. The nylon clamps I bought will fit in a couple existing cylinder head holes. One by the dipstick handle and one down by the fuel pump. I'm worried about how much heat they can withstand. Would I be ok with installing them directly into the head or should I fab up some small brackets and install the nylon in those?

Sent from my SM-S327VL using Tapatalk

YellowThumper

Quote from: Burdar on August 12, 2020, 10:15:57 AM
I've been racking my brain trying to come up with a simple, clean looking way to route the wiring harness over the intake and over to the alternator. I dont have any of the factory tabs on the valve covers. I bought some nylon clamps/clips that should work over the intake. I need to secure the harness around the alternator as well. The nylon clamps I bought will fit in a couple existing cylinder head holes. One by the dipstick handle and one down by the fuel pump. I'm worried about how much heat they can withstand. Would I be ok with installing them directly into the head or should I fab up some small brackets and install the nylon in those?

Brackets would help for sure.
When purchasing the nylon holders, pay attention to what the material actually is. If it is stated as Nylon or Nylon 6 then I suggest to utilize brackets.
Your best bet is to find the holders stated as being at minimum Nylon 6/6. Best would be actual Zytel Nylon 6/6.
Night and day over the generic resin.
Melting point is over 500 deg. But generic will fatigue well below the prime resin.

Plastic injection moldmaking is my career...
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Burdar

I ordered a couple different styles of clip. One did say nylon 6.6 but they were too small. The ones that will fit don't go into detail on what they are. It just says nylon. I ended up making a couple brackets. I feel better about these.

YellowThumper

Quote from: Burdar on August 12, 2020, 01:29:23 PM
I ordered a couple different styles of clip. One did say nylon 6.6 but they were too small. The ones that will fit don't go into detail on what they are. It just says nylon. I ended up making a couple brackets. I feel better about these.

That looks clean and effective.
When 99.9% of the people don't know or don't care. Suppliers dont either due to costs.
I purchased zip ties a couple years ago from Harbor Freight specifically because they had the good ones that specified the Zytel. Just picked up another package stupidly assuming the same. Nope... generic Nylon 6. These things are like rubberbands in comparison.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Chryco Psycho

I agree with using a bracket , I am not sue how well they would hold up with the heat of the cylinder head