Main Menu

Plate between the engine and gearbox

Started by BAM, December 01, 2021, 05:43:17 AM

Previous topic Next topic

BAM

Hey guys,

Quick question... What's the metal plate between the engine and the gearbox called or where can I find one to order? I'm not sure exactly what I'm looking for as this is a requirement from the mechanic (and all that explanation was in Greek - I don't really speak greek :) )

I hope my request makes sense  :fingerscrossed:

anlauto

Automatic = FLEX PLATE - bolts to the crank shaft and to the torque convertor
Manual = FLY WHEEL  - bolts to the crank shaft a clutch assembly
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

HP2

Could also be thinking of the lower dust shield that isolates both the flexplate in automatics and the flywheel in manuals, from road debris.

Example of a GM version:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/oer-3843943?seid=srese1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp_OInofD9AIV1RZ9Ch0nHAPNEAQYASABEgKASfD_BwE

Really need very concise instructions from your mechanic about what exactly he needs.

BAM

Well, got this as an example. I guess is some sort of adaptor between the 2? Is a 328 and A904 combo. Don't know if this is actually needed or not

anlauto

If you got the correct A904 transmission, it should bolt right up to the back of your 318 no problem WITHOUT any adaptor.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

BAM

Thanks @anlauto   this means there are several types of a904? I'll try getting some photos tomorrow and show you guys

73_Cuda_4_Me

73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

HP2

Yes, there is only one type of 904 transmission...and it bolts directly to the back of the engine with no plates.

Definitely will need pictures from your mechanic.

anlauto

Quote from: HP2 on December 03, 2021, 06:54:01 AM
Yes, there is only one type of 904 transmission...and it bolts directly to the back of the engine with no plates.

Is there a 904 that ever went behind a big block or slant 6 ? Wouldn't they have different bolt patterns then a small block 318/904 ? This could be where the confusion is coming from ?

Filthy Filbert

Quote from: anlauto on December 03, 2021, 07:13:45 AM
Quote from: HP2 on December 03, 2021, 06:54:01 AM

Is there a 904 that ever went behind a big block or slant 6 ? Wouldn't they have different bolt patterns then a small block 318/904 ? This could be where the confusion is coming from ?

no big block 904s unless it's a one off thing that some race team developed or something crazy like that.   

Could be a slant 6 904 though

Brads70

Hopefully it is a Mopar 904 . AMC used 904's and they had a block saver plate