Main Menu

T/A Steering Gearbox

Started by Gary AAR, January 18, 2020, 07:56:23 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Gary AAR

I know this is a long shot, but would anyone have the following parts for sale for a 1970 AAR Cuda with 340?
1.  Power steering T/A gearbox.
2.  Power steering pump (Federal) with mounting brackets.
3.  T/A Power steering pump cooler.

Thanks.

Blake@diyhemi.com

Quote from: Gary AAR on January 18, 2020, 07:56:23 AM
I know this is a long shot, but would anyone have the following parts for sale for a 1970 AAR Cuda with 340?
1.  Power steering T/A gearbox.
2.  Power steering pump (Federal) with mounting brackets.
3.  T/A Power steering pump cooler.

Thanks.

Following

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

MOPAR MITCH

The T/A gearbox is unique... with the castings,, along with the longer "Fast-Ratio" pitman arm.   You may also want to change the idler arm to become the correct longer idler arm... simply a ~1970 C-Body idler arm (aka... "fast-ratio" idler arm... as the aftermarket band-wagon calls it).   The factory was supposed to have installed it but never did with the T/A Fast Ratio gear boxes (some T/A boxes went into early 71-340 E-bodies as an option, but still missing the longer idler arm). 

The Federal pump/brackets and cooler are standard items from a small block vehicle (with performance axle of 3.55 or 3.91).

The Federal pump, although original for the application, is not worthy to keep as it is limited in performance applications... poor power assist under hi-rpms and rapid L-R-L-R movements... becomes worse than manual steering.   Better to install a Saginaw PS pump... unless you want to replicate the original factory setup by using the Federal pump.

I may have a brand new Federal pump sitting aside, along with the brackets and cooler... will let you know.

(I'm keeping my T/A gearbox... just had it rebuilt by Firm Feel ... stage-3.)

Bossgold

So is Stage 3 the optimal. Matt at Firm feel made a comment that stage 2 is more close to the original AAR T/A cars. It was mentioned that the idler arm was not correct as well as the option to use a fast ratio arm.

One other comment cause I see this a lot...The federal pumps, Pulley, brackets, cooler and High Pressure Hose have common parts and very unique parts (Date codes). If you have an AAR or T/A then the pump and brackets are pretty common. They sell repop brackets. What's unique are the expensive parts like the Pulley, Cooler and Hose.....all of which are date coded. I see a lot of units that came off regular 340's being sold with AAR/T/A prices. For the Bracket on the cooler it should have a 0 21 0 date code, the high pressure hose should be stamped as a 2891214 and the other end with a date code around a SPD like 0 15 0. The federal pump HP hose is also unique due to its fittings on each end for that Federal pump with the 'screw on pulley'. Finally, the 3 spoke pulley is approx 6 13/16 Dia outside and also has markings 82668 and a date code that face outward on the nut. My original pulley is dated 3519. My point ....if your dates don't line up to the SPD Jan70 thru April 70, then you'll pay a lot of money for AAR/T/A labeled parts that are not that unique.

Floyd

Someone just listed one for sale on moparts (e-body parts for sale)

1970 TA steering box with pitman arm $1,000.
Hemial@hotmail.com

MOPAR MITCH

As everyone should be aware, the "fast ratio IDLER ARM" is simply a ~'70 C-body idler arm... always has been, always will be.  No one -- Firm Feel, Hothckis, PST, etc -- ever "created" or developed such an arm for the T/A steering's matching longer Pitman arm .. it was a factory oversight until they realized too late, then stopped production of the T/A box.    So, if you want equalized steering left-right ... the use the longer idler arm with the longer "fast ratio" pitman arm.... and yes, then it won't be 100% original, but at least the steering problem will be corrected on any car that uses the longer "fast ratio" pitman arm.

Furthermore, this information was first published in the old "All American Racer" SIAC (T/A & AAR club) newsletter ... back in the mid-'70s... by AAR 'Cuda owner John Sandberg.

erik70rt

Quote from: Floyd on September 24, 2020, 05:36:21 PM

Hemial@hotmail.com

I would like to get a T/A steering setup, too.  But a used box for $1000 that most likely needs to be rebuilt anyway seems a bit steep. 
Contrary to the opinions of some, I am not dumber than I look.

Blake@diyhemi.com

Quote from: erik70rt on September 25, 2020, 12:09:44 PM

Hemial@hotmail.com

I would like to get a T/A steering setup, too.  But a used box for $1000 that most likely needs to be rebuilt anyway seems a bit steep.
Yeah it's steep. I wound up paying $1,200 for a pump, pulley, cooler and TA steering box with fast ratio arm. Essentially a complete AAR steering setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1970 AAR Cuda 
5.7 Hemi /A833 ~ DIYHEMI-Cuda
Looking for my numbers matching 340 TA block!
0B289380

www.diyhemi.com

Your late model Hemi swap resource!

Bossgold

The one listed on Moparts was list and sold within 24 hrs...$ 1000

Fastmark

I paid $400 for a sure nuff, TA pump,bracket, dated pulley and dated cooler. I've never seen one for sale in the years I've been looking. That was the last thing I need to complete my green AAR.

anlauto

Quote from: erik70rt on September 25, 2020, 12:09:44 PM

Hemial@hotmail.com

That's about the going rate....

I've come across a couple TA boxes in 1971 340 Challengers as well.

In fact the purple 71 Challenger 440+6 clone I just finished has it's original TA steering box in it.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MOPAR MITCH

As for having the gear box rebuilt, I had Firm Feel rebuild my T/a box... to their Stage III level... glad I did... after recently finally driving it, the Stage III level is not harsh or extra firm as some people may think it would be.. it's just right!   Any sifter (perhaps Stage II or standard Stage I)... and I would've been disappointed.  I know a couple people who had their gear box rebuilt to Stage II and they later wished they had it rebuilt to the Stage III.

Also depending where you live, with concern for shipping costs, don't out-rule Steer & Gear company... they can do the same thing that FF does.

anlauto

Quote from: MOPAR MITCH on September 28, 2020, 11:37:14 AM
As for having the gear box rebuilt, I had Firm Feel rebuild my T/a box... to their Stage III level... glad I did... after recently finally driving it, the Stage III level is not harsh or extra firm as some people may think it would be.. it's just right!   Any sifter (perhaps Stage II or standard Stage I)... and I would've been disappointed.  I know a couple people who had their gear box rebuilt to Stage II and they later wished they had it rebuilt to the Stage III.

Also depending where you live, with concern for shipping costs, don't out-rule Steer & Gear company... they can do the same thing that FF does.

:iagree:

You almost wish there was a Stage IV or stage V
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

MOPAR MITCH

Stage IV or V... not a bad idea!   Regardless, the Saginaw ps pump is mandatory to keep up with quick action steering.. the Federal ps pumps are not "performance" pumps.. as they can never keep up with fast action steering.. too bad MaMopar put them into performance cars.. a big mistake.