Main Menu

Progress! - New Cam

Started by Cudajason, August 31, 2018, 10:14:05 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

Quote from: blown motor on March 08, 2019, 08:10:54 PM
But the spare one's not purple @Cudajason  !  :unbelievable:

Yeah @blown motor , i have been on the hunt for a purple NOS one for some time, they are pretty rare though!!! :takemymoney: :wave:

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

jimynick

What's with the galling where the cam runs Jason? It's expensive, but Permatex's The Right Stuff is what I'd be using on it to seal it up. That stuff's really got a seal going for it.  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Cudajason

Well I made a bit of progress last night.

Got the valve springs on the drivers side switched out. Left out the inner spring as per instructions.

Tonight i hope to tackle the passanger side.

Still lots to do but with the weather warming up its easier to get work done!!!

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

RUNCHARGER

Nice. Changing springs in the car takes a bit of time.
Sheldon

jimynick

Jason, I don't know if it's just my elderly eyeballs, but that pic of the valve spring taken from right above doesn't look right to me. The keepers should be pretty well tight together and the top of the valve looks worn and uneven. Then there's the look of the retainer itself with that hollowed edge around it's circumference. Have you checked and compared the installed heights of them to see if they're the same? Not trying to rain on your parade here buddy, but I don't want there to be any misery either.  :cheers:

blown motor

Quote from: jimynick on March 19, 2019, 06:21:44 PM
Jason, I don't know if it's just my elderly eyeballs, but that pic of the valve spring taken from right above doesn't look right to me. The keepers should be pretty well tight together and the top of the valve looks worn and uneven. Then there's the look of the retainer itself with that hollowed edge around it's circumference. Have you checked and compared the installed heights of them to see if they're the same? Not trying to rain on your parade here buddy, but I don't want there to be any misery either.  :cheers:

@jimynick Ian, just grab a couple pints, drive the six blocks over to his place and deal with this man to man. No hiding behind a keyboard.  :haha:
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

jimynick

Quote from: blown motor on March 19, 2019, 06:49:28 PM

@jimynick Ian, just grab a couple pints, drive the six blocks over to his place and deal with this man to man. No hiding behind a keyboard.  :haha:
I can't argue with your suggestion Murray, but I don't want to invade the man's space either. If Jas wants me to look at it, I will.  :tool:

blown motor

Oh I hear you. But you know you can go and see @Cudajason anytime....by appointment only.  :pokeeye:
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Chryco Psycho

The locks look fine to me , they never go 360* , there has to be a gap so they are tight on the valve stem .

Cudajason

Quote from: blown motor on March 19, 2019, 07:17:32 PM
Oh I hear you. But you know you can go and see @Cudajason anytime....by appointment only.  :pokeeye:

You guys are hilarious!!!

Ian if you want to pop over and have look just give me a ring! I want to chat with you about your buddy with the ultrasonic clear!

I think its the pic that is playing tricks.  The valves all show sign of wear, but look pretty even and straight.

I did check the top of the valves with a straight edge, and there is a very slight wiggle and I mean just enough to feel the straight edge move, but I think they are ok

The retainers are very different from the factory ones and I think its just the shadows in the pic.

I was curious about the valve locks too.

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on March 19, 2019, 09:16:14 PM
The locks look fine to me , they never go 360* , there has to be a gap so they are tight on the valve stem .

Thank you sir!!!!

I was surprised at the strength of the springs.  The seem lighter compared to stock, using my scientific hand test.  I assume the inner spring will add a bit more to them.

Jason

Cudajason

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on March 19, 2019, 06:55:57 AM
Nice. Changing springs in the car takes a bit of time.

yeah its a bit of a pain...but I did not want to take the heads off.

Jason

RUNCHARGER

Yes: Overall it's less work and faster this way. The locks look fine, if there was no gap you would have a problem.
Sheldon

Cudajason

I have run into my first problem.

I noted when installing the outer valve springs (which is what lunati recommends fro cam break in) that the inner springs would not fit over the stock vale steam seals (which are now all new).

I figured easy fix...different style valve seals.

I called the lunati tech line today to see what they suggested.

I was told the springs I have need to have the head machined to accept the inner spring and positive valve seals.  Um...seriously, I thought this was a pretty mild cam.   :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Has any one else installed the 702 cam and had to do this.

I really did not want to take the heads off.  Serves me right for buying a package deal!

The cam is in the engine and I am trying to get it all back together this month.

Jason

chargerdon

Quote from: Cudajason on April 05, 2019, 10:10:04 AM

I noted when installing the outer valve springs (which is what lunati recommends fro cam break in) that the inner springs would not fit over the stock vale steam seals (which are now all new).

I was told the springs I have need to have the head machined to accept the inner spring and positive valve seals.  Um...seriously, I thought this was a pretty mild cam.   :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I really did not want to take the heads off.  Serves me right for buying a package deal!

The cam is in the engine and I am trying to get it all back together this month.

Jason

Jason, I installed a Lunati 703 cam.   I also bought separately Lunati's springs, retainers and locks.   I ordered them all separately with Lunati tech support help..good thing i did as the full kit would have come with the wrong locks, as my valves all have single grooves for the locks...  Their tech support was excellent, and i had no problem other than the hassle of having to twice remove all to first install for breakin without the inner springs, and then redo it to put in the inner springs.   

I originally had mopar performance dual springs in my engine, so probably had the type of valve seals that work with dual springs.    Lunati tech did tell me that their springs are a "little lighter" than the Mopar performance springs, so keep the revs to a max of about 6,000 which is fine with me !  Trouble i have is that my 904 automatic will upshift at only about 4,200 rpm unless i manually hold it, and with this 703 cam in it,  it revs so fast i have to be careful to make sure i shift at 5,500 or ill feel power drop off suddenly, at about 6,000 like he told me. 

Cudajason

Quote from: chargerdon on April 05, 2019, 12:14:31 PM
Quote from: Cudajason on April 05, 2019, 10:10:04 AM

Jason

Jason, I installed a Lunati 703 cam.   I also bought separately Lunati's springs, retainers and locks.   I ordered them all separately with Lunati tech support help..good thing i did as the full kit would have come with the wrong locks, as my valves all have single grooves for the locks...  Their tech support was excellent, and i had no problem other than the hassle of having to twice remove all to first install for breakin without the inner springs, and then redo it to put in the inner springs.   

I originally had mopar performance dual springs in my engine, so probably had the type of valve seals that work with dual springs.    Lunati tech did tell me that their springs are a "little lighter" than the Mopar performance springs, so keep the revs to a max of about 6,000 which is fine with me !  Trouble i have is that my 904 automatic will upshift at only about 4,200 rpm unless i manually hold it, and with this 703 cam in it,  it revs so fast i have to be careful to make sure i shift at 5,500 or ill feel power drop off suddenly, at about 6,000 like he told me.

thanks @chargerdon I ordered this kit on the advice of the tech line...no one said that I would need to machine the heads for the springs.

Any chance you have the part number for the springs handy?

Jason