Main Menu

RH transmission - The Result

Started by Cudajason, August 19, 2019, 06:17:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Brads70

Quote from: chargerdon on November 23, 2019, 06:29:04 AM
I see it comes with a torque converter.   You might be wise to simply throw it away, and buy a new one, and dont trust the old one.     They don't have to cost an arm and a leg.   I bought a rebuilt torque converter for my 904 from Torco in california (they advertise on ebay).   It worked perfectly.. 

So, for my A518 i bought another from them...  Lockup high stall (2200-2600) for $169 and i think free shipping.

:iagree:  scrap it and get one that matches your new cam, you won't be sorry you did!
If you don't have a pressure washer take it down to your local coin wash and blast all the crud off it, it's all coming apart any how.... :alan2cents:

:wrenching:   hurry up, Carlisle will be here before you know it!  :D

dodj

I took one of those big weights off the 727 that came with my '76 440. Don't really know for sure what it was supposed to do. Some kind of vibration dampener?
I didn't put it back on and I didn't have vibes for the two years I lived with the auto, so I don't know. Maybe ballast for improved handling?  ::)
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

JS29

E-Z off oven cleaner! or what ever brand that works well. car wash with hot water and don't let the EPA see it being done  :no: like the Italian said to the Jehovah's wittiness, We don't like no witnesses!  :D

Cudajason

Quote from: Brads70 on November 23, 2019, 01:13:11 PM
Quote from: chargerdon on November 23, 2019, 06:29:04 AM
I see it comes with a torque converter.   You might be wise to simply throw it away, and buy a new one, and dont trust the old one.     They don't have to cost an arm and a leg.   I bought a rebuilt torque converter for my 904 from Torco in california (they advertise on ebay).   It worked perfectly.. 

So, for my A518 i bought another from them...  Lockup high stall (2200-2600) for $169 and i think free shipping.

:iagree:  scrap it and get one that matches your new cam, you won't be sorry you did!
If you don't have a pressure washer take it down to your local coin wash and blast all the crud off it, it's all coming apart any how.... :alan2cents:

:wrenching:   hurry up, Carlisle will be here before you know it!  :D

Yeah I am going to look into TCs...now is the time!  I figure I may change the rear gears from the 3.23 given I will be running the OD, but I will see if that impact the TC choice.

I was thinking of getting out the pressure washer and blasting it, but the dip stick tube is not in the trans I am afraid of filling it with water, but I guess I can plug that.

I now it will be a bit until I can pull it apart, so I will wait until I have the time and then blast it so it is not sitting with water in it.

Yeah I know Carlisle and summer will be here before we know it, so I have to get moving!!!

Jason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

1 Wild R/T

3.55's...... Trust me....  If you were closer I'd give you a set......

Cudajason

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on November 23, 2019, 07:11:20 PM
3.55's...... Trust me....  If you were closer I'd give you a set......

Thanks man that is a very generous offer. I would take you up in it too!! Shipping would be killer!

I hope to find a set in Carlisle this year, it will he the one big thing on my list.

Well progress has been slow, but I did mange to get the trans power washed a few weeks ago.

Hope to start pulling it apart for a rebuild in the new week or so.

Jaso
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Cudajason

Well I got the trans up on the bench and ready for disassembly! Yeah that thing is heavy and a bit awkward to lift up there.  Already took a few parts off too!!! :banana:

So given I have no history on the trans, any tips on what I should be looking for as I pull it apart. Keep in mind I have never rebuilt a trans before!!!

My first question...the input shaft play in and out is within spec, but there is a lot of side to side movement...is that normal?

Jason

dodj

"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Cudajason

Quote from: dodj on January 04, 2020, 06:51:07 AM
Quote from: Cudajason on January 04, 2020, 06:44:10 AM
any tips on what I should be looking for as I pull it apart.
Take lotsa pix.

Yeah thats my plan!  That or video!

I learned how valuable taking pics is when I rebuilt my steering box!

Jason

chargerdon

First, Make sure you know what you got !!   On the drivers side in addition to the part number there is the date code.   its a four digit 10,000 day calendar of when it was made.   This is so you can make sure you buy the correct rebuild kit.  I had overhauled the 904 transmission in my challenger first, and ran into issued when some of the o rings simply would not fit.   I have a 74 Challenger, but, some of the parts weren't right.  When is did a full google search i found out that that transmission was from a 68 plymouth...so the part kit i bought was wrong !!    For my a518 first thing i did was a date code lookup...  https://www.e-bodies.org/resources/mopar-chrysler-10000-day-calendar-date-code/julian-perpetual-chart-decoder/ 

To do the rebuild i bought a manual ...ATSG...  but truthfully i almost never used it.   

I basically used two different youtube video's

a) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Hyk_yavD8g   This is a tutuorial and is very slow moving but very complete.   He even shows you how to build a wooden transmission stand (highly useful when putting back together as it holds the transmission vertically and it helps with all the alignments...gravity helps rather than hinders).   He also shows how to make a tool to compress the spring on the forward clutch assembly.   He also shows compressing the clutch pack spring on the overdrive clutchpack.   This spring is rated at 800 lbs but a good shop press works easily.   He didn't bother to show how to make the tool to use with the shop press.   But its fairly simple...just weld together three 5/8 inch bolts to make the tripod tool.  Problem with this videos is that it is very slow going, and it is done on a 46RE  i.e. the newer electronic version so there is no governor in the tail section which the 46RH has, and the valve body is different with more electronic solenoids.   video two shows how to test the solenoids.

His basic statement is that other than the external input shaft play, all of the tolerances inside can simply be ignored so long as you use a quality kit, and aren't trying to modify the number of clutches being used.   So, long as it was never modified the tolerances should be just fine !    I LIKE THIS   when i did my 904 it drove me nuts measuring tolerences...  turns out they were all standard anyways.

b) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Nz_ICxyMW8   This is a rebuild much quicker and less demonstrative but the demonstration is on an a500 not an a518.    I could not find a complete youtube rebuild for on a 46rh.   So i ended up watching both.

Special tools you will need are:
1) Slide hammer to remove the pump altho the second video shows how to force it out from inside without the slide hammer using screwdrivers...   i used an inexpensive harbour freight slide hammer.
2) Good Snap ring pliers
3) Compression tool to compress the forward clutch pack (video 1 shows how to make one)
4) Shop Press and tripod tool to use with it to compress the overdrive clutch pack... again, i simply saw the one he had and made one from three 5/8 inch bolts with my welder.
5) torque wrenches both inch lb and ft pound
6) You will need some rtv sealant for the lower three bolts that bolt the tail section to the main body as they go into the main body and would leak without sealant on them.
7) locktite

You really dont need to take a lot of pictures if you simply, during dissasembly carefully watch the videos and take good notes on any differences...example on my a518 it was missing a thrustwasher and i found out that certain models didnt have one in that spot.   

Lastly, both of these videos totally tear down the transmission with parts scattered before they begin to reassemble with the new clutches and seals.   I recommend doing it in three sections...   I.e. the tail with the overdrive, tear it down, clean, and reassemble before going into the main body !!    Forward clutch pack, after removing rebuild and set asside as a module before attacking the back rear clutch packs.  etc.   less parts to make a mistake with.

I found the toughest part was identifing the correct part in the rebuild kit.   so many seals all look similar and they aren't packaged very well...  Make sure when reassembling that you use the correct clutches, steels and seals in each case... 

Feel free to cContact me with any questions ...   412-445-0969 is my cell phone.

BIGSHCLUNK

Jason, I'd get a few oil pads under it before the tear down. Seeing you don't have a tranny tear down bench.  I don't care how well its drained , automatics hide lots of fluid in the internal nooks an crannies. If you cant get pads I will mail you some. We something close to this at the shop       
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-17298/Sorbents-and-Spill-Kits/Oil-Only-Sorbent-Pads-15-x-19-Heavy?pricode=WB4058&utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=pla&utm_term=S-17298&utm_campaign=Janitorial%2BSupplies&utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=pla&utm_term=S-17298&utm_campaign=Janitorial%2BSupplies&msclkid=001ee2dfe7aa1711a5e9bccf07dda0a1&gclid=CIGeyKvQ6uYCFaOwZQodc_UB9Q&gclsrc=ds

Cudajason

@chargerdon - thanks for that detailed post man...very helpful! 

Attached is a pic of the numbers on the pan rail...If I am reading it correctly (1648, the build date is Jun 13, 1998.

@BIGSHCLUNK, I have never seen those before, I will look into picking some up, we have Uline here in the great white north!

Jason

blown motor

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on January 04, 2020, 10:59:49 AM
Jason, I'd get a few oil pads under it before the tear down. Seeing you don't have a tranny tear down bench.  I don't care how well its drained , automatics hide lots of fluid in the internal nooks an crannies. If you cant get pads I will mail you some. We something close to this at the shop       
https://www.uline.com/Product/Detail/S-17298/Sorbents-and-Spill-Kits/Oil-Only-Sorbent-Pads-15-x-19-Heavy?pricode=WB4058&utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=pla&utm_term=S-17298&utm_campaign=Janitorial%2BSupplies&utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=pla&utm_term=S-17298&utm_campaign=Janitorial%2BSupplies&msclkid=001ee2dfe7aa1711a5e9bccf07dda0a1&gclid=CIGeyKvQ6uYCFaOwZQodc_UB9Q&gclsrc=ds

Would Depends work?  :rofl:
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

BIGSHCLUNK

Quote from: blown motor on January 06, 2020, 09:46:45 AM
Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on January 04, 2020, 10:59:49 AM

Would Depends work?  :rofl:

Those I can get from my dad....  :stop:   :haha:   

Jason, @ uline you will need an account and have to buy a case I'm sure. But if you got a bud that works in a garage or at a recycler, that b your best bet.  :yes:

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Cudajason on January 06, 2020, 09:34:35 AM
@chargerdon - thanks for that detailed post man...very helpful! 

Attached is a pic of the numbers on the pan rail...If I am reading it correctly (1648, the build date is Jun 13, 1998.

@BIGSHCLUNK, I have never seen those before, I will look into picking some up, we have Uline here in the great white north!

Jason

If the date is 1998 the trans would be a RE not an RH... And since it has the three pin connector it's clearly an RH..