Main Menu

RH transmission - The Result

Started by Cudajason, August 19, 2019, 06:17:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

Well lots of progress since my last post.

The transmission is al back together. Rebuild the valve body with the Trans Go JR shift kit.

The only thing left is a new transmission pan. The one I have is dented and the paint inside is chipping off.  Other than that the trans is done.

I have been working on the lines. They are custom bent and go direct to a cooler in front of the rad. Just waiting in some fittings so I can finish up those.

Also working on the wiring for the OF and LU. Stealing power from the NSS. I removed some unused wiring and relays. I have all the interior wiring done. Using two toggle switches. I need to install the trans to conned the switches to the wiring.

I am waiting on a flex plate and TQ converter and then I can install the trans. The convertor place I was looking at has not responded to my emails, so might look at another place.

Hope to have then both next week.

Then I need to figure out the driveshaft. Likely get one custom made, if I can find a place local and it does not cost and arm and a leg. 

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

dodj

Quote from: Cudajason on July 02, 2020, 11:08:50 AM
Quote from: YellowThumper on July 02, 2020, 10:03:14 AM
Wasn't all the grime black before?

:bravo: BTW.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  Yeah it was.  I just could not leave it like that.

Jason
[/quote
Should have made it pink.....

Other than the smarta$$ comment, good to see you getting close to installing  :bigthumb:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

RUNCHARGER

Looks like you have pretty much under control.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

One thing, the 500 & 518 use bigger cooler lines, 3/8 instead of 5/16...   They need the extra flow to send lube to the overdrive section...  On the conversions I've done I just called Fine Lines & they custom bent the lines in 3/8 for no additional cost....  I replaced the fittings in the radiator, actually drilled the fittings to increase the flow, they otherwise act as a restriction...

Be sure to flush your trans cooler before you put the new trans in....

Cudajason

Quote from: dodj on August 05, 2020, 06:56:34 AM
Quote from: Cudajason on July 02, 2020, 11:08:50 AM
Quote from: YellowThumper on July 02, 2020, 10:03:14 AM
Wasn't all the grime black before?

:bravo: BTW.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:  Yeah it was.  I just could not leave it like that.

Jason
[/quote
Should have made it pink.....

Other than the smarta$$ comment, good to see you getting close to installing  :bigthumb:

I was going to paint it Purple, but could not find anyone to make it up in a spray bomb at a reasonable cost...so black it is.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Cudajason

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on August 05, 2020, 07:51:20 AM
One thing, the 500 & 518 use bigger cooler lines, 3/8 instead of 5/16...   They need the extra flow to send lube to the overdrive section...  On the conversions I've done I just called Fine Lines & they custom bent the lines in 3/8 for no additional cost....  I replaced the fittings in the radiator, actually drilled the fittings to increase the flow, they otherwise act as a restriction...

Be sure to flush your trans cooler before you put the new trans in....

yeah new lines are 3/8.  I never liked the set up of the factory lines, so I custom bent my old ones to use an auxiliary cooler years ago.  Figure no point in changing now.

I will flush the cooler.

Jason

1 Wild R/T

Cudajason

After what seems like forever, the last few parts I need for this swap are finally in.

B&M flex plate, new trans pan with drain plug and a reman torque converter.

I went with a reman converter through NAPA. The had it in stock and the other places I looked either did not get back to me or were 3 times the price.

My plan is the get everything in tomorrow.

Only thing left is a dipstick tube for a 904 and a driveshaft. I will likely get a new driveshaft made locally. I have a quote for $400 CAD.

Might get a spin in this year!!!

YellowThumper

Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

chargerdon

Two things:

1) I also put in the TransGo JR shift kit.   Its cheap around $40 and corrects a couple of know old issues with upgraded techniques.   However, IT is NOT A "Quick shift" upgrade.   I.e the shift from first to second occurs between 3500-4000 RPM if left in drive.   I would have prefered a higher shift speed but apparently from what i read that is controlled by the governor an not the valve body.   Also, the shift from first to second is a slow smooth shift not a quick one.    PS i used that same kit on both my 904 and the 518 when i overhauled them.   Both react the same.   My 66 Charger with less HP but a better shift kit in its 727 will easily chirp the tires on a full throttle upshift.    You might want to think about that before installing.   

2) Regarding the Drive shaft...   You could simply use the original and have it "cut" to needed length.   I used Fleetpride which is a nationwide large truck service centers that does this.    They cut mine to specification and balanced it for i believe $210 plus tax.   Nice job...took 3 days...   If you have one near you !!     

Cudajason

Quote from: chargerdon on August 25, 2020, 01:52:51 PM
Two things:

1) I also put in the TransGo JR shift kit.   Its cheap around $40 and corrects a couple of know old issues with upgraded techniques.   However, IT is NOT A "Quick shift" upgrade.   I.e the shift from first to second occurs between 3500-4000 RPM if left in drive.   I would have prefered a higher shift speed but apparently from what i read that is controlled by the governor an not the valve body.   Also, the shift from first to second is a slow smooth shift not a quick one.    PS i used that same kit on both my 904 and the 518 when i overhauled them.   Both react the same.   My 66 Charger with less HP but a better shift kit in its 727 will easily chirp the tires on a full throttle upshift.    You might want to think about that before installing.   

2) Regarding the Drive shaft...   You could simply use the original and have it "cut" to needed length.   I used Fleetpride which is a nationwide large truck service centers that does this.    They cut mine to specification and balanced it for i believe $210 plus tax.   Nice job...took 3 days...   If you have one near you !!   

Thanks @chargerdon   

I already put the TransGo JR shift kit in. I hope it firms up the shifts, but I have nothing to compare it to, so well see what happens.

Yeah I know I can shorten the driveshaft, but not sure I want to trust the 40plus year old shaft. The driveline place I am working with said he could do that, but offered me a good deal on a new one, so I figure I will go that route.

I can resell my shaft as there always seems to be someone looking for one.

Jason

chargerdon

You will need a new slip yoke as well...as the 904 you took out uses a smaller spline.   Be careful where you get the spline as the ones from 727 sometimes wont fit.    I had that problem...bought a used 727 slip yoke but it would only go in about a inch and get stuck.   Crazy, as i have a 66 Charger with 727...   took its drive shaft off and that yoke went right into the chargers 727.   Then tried the chargers 727 yoke in my A518 and it went right in.   BUT that yoke i bought would not go into my A518.   

Their not cheap, but, i bought a new one from:   https://www.actionmachineinc.com/collections/transmission-slip-yoke/products/2603-30?variant=30462696325   They even installed a new Univeral in for me first before shipping.   Nice people to deal with and way less expensive than the yokes you will find on summit or jegs.   

Cudajason

Thanks man. I am swapping out a 727, already checked and made sure the slip yoke fit.

Good day today. Got the trans up and installed.

Still have some bits and pieces left to go and check the driveline angle etc. I have lots of clearnce at the top. I am ordering a  new driveshaft this week. Might get to fire it up next week.

My main concern right now is the kickdown. I used a cable kickdown and not sure how I am goong hook it up yet.  The bracket I used on the 727 hits the floor. Then I have to figure out how to hook up the cooler lines.   :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Lots of work left but the big part is done.

Jason

Cudajason

Man I have the worst luck with pics!!!!

Can @Spikedog08  please flip them for me????

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

RUNCHARGER

Good progress Jason. I'll be reviewing this thread as my son is doing this swap in his Charger. We'll have to get the JW bell for a big block though.
Sheldon