Main Menu

Shifter mechanism

Started by Todd489, October 10, 2018, 05:03:50 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Todd489

This past winter when I converted my Challenger to a 4-speed, I bought Brewers shifter mechanism, it's the Hurst competition one, the mechanism has a bad rattle above 2500 RPMs on up! I just want to know if anybody else had this issue,I have to keep my hand on the shifter to keep it from rattling,I know it's not the pistol grip handles or the top bezel as I had them removed and still did it.

Rich G.

Did this vibration happen right after you did the conversion? Does it do it in neutral? Could be the wrong flywheel. Drive line angle if it starts at a certain speed. Need more info to try to help.

Chryco Psycho

The stick should be bolted into the shifter correct , are the bolts loose ?
Nylock or locktite is your friend

anlauto

Is it a rattle or a vibration ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Todd489

Nothing is loose everything has Loctite, basically everything is brand new, it's not in the driveline, it's definitely coming from the mechanism, it just seems that there was a lot of slop in itI'm going to call Brewers and see if they could exchange it

anlauto

I would have the driveshaft balanced  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

GY3R/T

Is the trans a new purchase ? Was it rebuilt ? Output Shaft nice and straight ?

Todd489

Brand new $700 aluminum driveshaft

Todd489

Drive shaft is brand-new a $700 aluminum piece! Transmission is brand-new from Passion performance

anlauto

Well, maybe the shifter is at fault....however...something is shaking the shifter to make it rattle...if the car ran smooth as silk the shifter would be quite ?

Todd489

UPDATE!  Lol,. So I  figured  out what the problem was, it was the top bezel on the shifter handle, that was the only thing I did not takeoff and glue with silicone, but now it's siliconed and now the noise is gone!!

GY3R/T

RUNCHARGER

Yup: My friend bought a brand new 74, 4 speed Challenger and the dang shifter rattled like that from the lot.
Sheldon

rebelyell

:haha: glad you found it. Mine rattles like hell and sometimes I just grab it when I'm tired of it making noise.