Main Menu

Stopped in my tracks

Started by Marty73, July 02, 2019, 10:01:56 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Marty73

Just whining - had a whole Sunday set aside to put the new intake, carb on my 73 and try to get it running better. I think I found the main issue.....

Did you know that nobody in my little neck of the woods sells push rods.....

1973 Challenger
2022 Wrangler Sahara
2021 Charger Scat Pack

JS29

:(' What caused that to happen, diagnostic time.

Marty73

My suspicion is a stuck valve over the winter (said valve is no longer stuck). But damage is done.

Got the new push rod(s) and lifter. will swap it out and roll the engine this weekend and make sure things are moving properly. If not...well I guess a new set of heads wouldn't hurt (except maybe my wallet...)
1973 Challenger
2022 Wrangler Sahara
2021 Charger Scat Pack

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: JS29 on July 02, 2019, 10:43:38 AM
:(' What caused that to happen, diagnostic time.

Yup... Pushrods don't fold up like a pretzel for no reason... Something caused it... Stuck valve? Mechanical interference?

Try moving the lifter that missing it's pushrod up & down... Can it be removed from it's bore?  Can you move the valve? Is it currently fully closed? Compare it to the valves on either side of it...

Cross over ports are plugged, whats the residue in the lifter valley?   

Marty73

the valve moves, I'm going to replace the lifter and push rod this weekend.

I've cleaned the exhaust crossover (that carbon was like concrete!). After that if everything moves properly I'll clean up the the valley and put it all back together.

Not doing anything fancy, car will get a new engine eventually. I just need it to run well enough to move down the road for now.

I really think my culprit was the stuck valve from from late last year.
1973 Challenger
2022 Wrangler Sahara
2021 Charger Scat Pack

Marty73

Ohhh....the residue is 45 years of crude in the engine... :haha:
1973 Challenger
2022 Wrangler Sahara
2021 Charger Scat Pack

Cuda Cody

Might be down on power a bit!   :o

Chryco Psycho

Smith Bros Pushrods in Bend Or https://www.pushrods.net/
1 day service
I have seen them bend like that with no valve issues but it does tend to hurt power a little
I would have left the concrete in the crossover port , you don't want that open boiling all the fuel in the carb anyway , cut a piece of the old gasketb to block it before installing the intake again

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on July 02, 2019, 11:33:36 AM
Smith Bros Pushrods in Bend Or https://www.pushrods.net/
1 day service
I have seen them bend like that with no valve issues but it does tend to hurt power a little
I would have left the concrete in the crossover port , you don't want that open boiling all the fuel in the carb anyway , cut a piece of the old gasketb to block it before installing the intake again

Yup, I was just commenting on condition, not saying it needed to be removed..

Marty73

All Done!

1973 Challenger
2022 Wrangler Sahara
2021 Charger Scat Pack