Main Menu

TKO 500 Speedometer Cable Question

Started by Daveh, April 27, 2019, 08:16:36 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Daveh

Hey guys,

As you know I'm finishing up the conversion to a Tremec TKO 500 in my Challenger and I have a speedo question.  I was originally going to use my stock gauges and have since converted to AutoMeter gauges.  The new speedo gauge has the GM screw on style on the back.  I just called the American Powertrain tech on call guy and he said I need to get a different cable but that's all he could tell me since he wasn't at the shop. 

I would need a cable with the Ford end that goes into the trans and the GM screw on style for the back of the speedometer gauge.

Question is what do I ask for at NAPA?  A part number would be ideal but if that isn't out there what do I ask for and what would be the length?  It would be coming off of the drivers side of the car.  Thanks.

Dave

GoodysGotaCuda

Have you tried looking through Autometer details to see if they can spec you something? I would think they [or Summit?] may know what connects an Autometer to a TKO.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

anlauto

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on April 27, 2019, 10:40:49 AM
Have you tried looking through Autometer details to see if they can spec you something? I would think they [or Summit?] may know what connects an Autometer to a TKO.

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/awr-spch-10001/overview/  :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Daveh

I couldn't for the life of me find that on Summit's site last night.  Thanks Anlauto.

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: anlauto on April 27, 2019, 10:45:49 AM
Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on April 27, 2019, 10:40:49 AM

https://www.summitracing.com/int/parts/awr-spch-10001/overview/  :dunno:

Wow that's one expensive cable! My autometer used a C-body speedocable many moons ago and threaded to the factory 904 speedo pickup. I have a speedo cable that came from SST for my T56 that I never used, I wonder if it's threaded? I may try to find that.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Rich G.

Can't you tell American Powertrain to get you a cable for a chevelle? That would give you the GM end.

anlauto

Quote from: Daveh on April 27, 2019, 12:59:27 PM
I couldn't for the life of me find that on Summit's site last night.  Thanks Anlauto.

I'm not saying that is the exact one you need, just the first that came up in a search, you would have to confirm the thread size on your speedometer  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Daveh

I'm going to call American Powertrain Monday.  I'm hoping for a less expensive option.  If anyone has an idea please let me know.  Thanks

Dave

Racer57

To determine length, get some small dia. rubber hose and route it.