Main Menu

Re-thinking 440 build. Need advice

Started by 70RTSE383, July 27, 2021, 01:06:52 PM

Previous topic Next topic

70RTSE383

I started to plan a low dollar or rebuild/ mod of the 440 that I want to put in my 70' Challenger. I have a set of unused Stealth heads in th box but have decided to go for better heads. Please tell me if I'm missing something or your thoughts on this.
the bottom end is a 71' vintage block and will use original rods and crank. The heads I mentioned are TF 240. Cam I'm looking at is Comp XE274HR. Need advice on reliable roller rockers at a decent price. HF or HP oil pump and what volume pan (please advise). Have studs installed on main caps or not. Reconditioned rods will get ARP bolts. Looking at 10:00 compression with forged piston. Have NOS Mopar Performance electronic distributor and generic box both US made. Dist has been recurved and  and adv limit and tested. Will need dist gear compatible with roller cam (what brand?). Headers will be TTI (what size primaries).Intake Ede RPM DP. Carb I have is EDE 750 with elec choke. Water pump housing and pump are aluminum from 440 source. Gears are 323 with new Sure Grip.
Car is for cruising and maybe some day a trip or two on an 1/8 mile (on my bucket list). Not a racer but really wand to get that wonderful feeling of being mashed back in the seat and frying the tires when stomped on.
Thanks for any help or thoughts.
70' Challenger R/T SE in progress
66' Mustang fastback GT350 clone
Factory Five Cobra
70' Kawasaki H1
70' Honda CT 70

Chryco Psycho

I would do virtually the whole build differently ...
for similar cost you could install a 512 stroker pkg with all new parts .
fi you are looking for a cruiser engine why go to better heads , the stealth heads are better than Eddy & 1/2 the cost , you have them why not use them , if you do the 512 & want a lot more from the engine then look at better heads !
no need for main studs for what you are building ,
Never use a HV oil pump with a stock pan , the HP will work great .
I bet you can do far better for cam choice comp is the last place I would look , try lunati.
I would never use an Eddy carb .
Milodon oil pump drive is good or check with Mancini or Roseville
Your call .

70 Top Banana

B5fourspeed

Roller and low budget will never go together with a mopar.My roller cam 440 from pan to carb will top 10k.750 for roller rockers,750 for lifters,forged custom pistons with rings 700.Roller cam 400.New springs,locks and retainers for 440 source heads because of spring pressure with roller cam.Not to mention the cost of bolts,bearing,timing gear,pushrods,oil pump,better oil pump drive because of roller.The cost of the block prep and balancing will cost 1k or more.Manifold, carb,electronic ignition,water pump and housing.I almost forgot.New rods 500.Then the labor cost from the builder.Gasket kit and headers throw in another 600.Oil pan, pickup 200.Better timing cover because of roller cam.

usraptor

PRW 3244013 roller rockers.  Holley Dominator aluminum intake.  Quickfuel carb.  Lunati 10230703LK cam. https://www.lunatipower.com/voodoo-hydraulic-flat-tappet-lifter-kit-chrysler-361-440-three-bolt-268-276.html  TTI 1 7/8" Ceramic headers.  440 Source 512 Stocker.  If you didn't already have the heads I'd recommend ProMaxx (formerly Patriot)  Aluminum heads.  Can build this set  up for well under $10K. Ran this set up in my '70 Cuda for two years and it ran like a scalded ape but still had great street manners.  I replaced the cam with a Bullet custom hydraulic.  If interested I'd sell you the cam cheap. Less than 1K miles. Regardless, this is a great combination.  :stayinlane:

70Barracuda

New harmonic balancer and rear main seal kit.
Sniper, 493/383, Firmfeel, RMS Streetlynx, Speedhut. Dana, 4 gear.

autoxcuda

Quote from: usraptor on August 07, 2021, 04:20:19 PM
PRW 3244013 roller rockers.  Holley Dominator aluminum intake.  Quickfuel carb.  Lunati 10230703LK cam. https://www.lunatipower.com/voodoo-hydraulic-flat-tappet-lifter-kit-chrysler-361-440-three-bolt-268-276.html  TTI 1 7/8" Ceramic headers.  440 Source 512 Stocker.  If you didn't already have the heads I'd recommend ProMaxx (formerly Patriot)  Aluminum heads.  Can build this set  up for well under $10K. Ran this set up in my '70 Cuda for two years and it ran like a scalded ape but still had great street manners.  I replaced the cam with a Bullet custom hydraulic.  If interested I'd sell you the cam cheap. Less than 1K miles. Regardless, this is a great combination.  :stayinlane:

Was the second cam much bigger?

Even with a 512 that lunati cam seems like it would be fine with 1 3/4 headers, dual plane, and stock stamped rockers. Very street friendly, low maintenance, lower cost.

Down a little on power from usraptor's setup with 1.46 ratio rockers vs 1.5. But duel plane and smaller headers might give similar torque down low.

But with a next step up in cam... the roller rockers, bigger headers, single plane come into factor. Usraptor had the surroundings in place for more power. Headers are nearly same price 1 3/4 vs 1 7/8, intake nearly same price DP vs SP. significant cost difference is roller rockers.
Spring Fling April 2024 Woodley Park, Van Nuys CA, 600+ Mopars, 175+ all Mopar swap, Malibu Cruise, Mopar Cruise-In: www.cpwclub.com Date comming...

Chryco Psycho

Dual plane on a 512  :huh: :huh:
Run the Holley Street Dom intake & you are good ... more power down Low LOL , what are you going to do for traction ??
1 of the 512 I built dynoed at over 600 gross ft lbs tq from 2200 -5200 rpm , RW TQ at the tires was over 400 ft lbs between 2200 -5200

usraptor

Quote from: autoxcuda on August 08, 2021, 01:57:48 PM
Quote from: usraptor on August 07, 2021, 04:20:19 PM

Was the second cam much bigger?

Even with a 512 that lunati cam seems like it would be fine with 1 3/4 headers, dual plane, and stock stamped rockers. Very street friendly, low maintenance, lower cost.

Down a little on power from usraptor's setup with 1.46 ratio rockers vs 1.5. But duel plane and smaller headers might give similar torque down low.

But with a next step up in cam... the roller rockers, bigger headers, single plane come into factor. Usraptor had the surroundings in place for more power. Headers are nearly same price 1 3/4 vs 1 7/8, intake nearly same price DP vs SP. significant cost difference is roller rockers.

Autoxcuda,  New cam is a custom ground "Bullet" roller rocker hydraulic  cam, Duration is 234 Intake and 241 Exhaust at .050 with .3677 lobe lift, and valve lift at 552.  Intake Lobe degree is 108

usraptor

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on August 08, 2021, 09:53:04 PM
Dual plane on a 512  :huh: :huh:
Run the Holley Street Dom intake & you are good ... more power down Low LOL , what are you going to do for traction ??
1 of the 512 I built dynoed at over 600 gross ft lbs tq from 2200 -5200 rpm , RW TQ at the tires was over 400 ft lbs between 2200 -5200

I agree with Chryco.  The Holley Street Dominator single plane works just fine and gives tremendous low end torque.  On the dyno my set up ran 556 HP at 4800 RPM.  We couldn't run it any higher at the time as I had bad U joints and the car started vibrating to much.  I need to take it back and have it redone but just haven't had the time this summer yet.  Like Chryco said I fully expect well over 600 HP when we can run it up to 5500 or 6000 RPM.  He's also correct in that there no way to hook this monster up. LOL At least with a stock suspension.  Even with 275X60 15 tires I burn rubber all the way through 1st, 2md and part of 3rd and that's running Dr. Diff Custom 3:23 gears in the Dana 60.  :stayinlane: