Main Menu

U Code Engine Build

Started by Ebbs, August 17, 2018, 02:30:51 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Ebbs

Board

I have the original 440 short block for my 70 Challenger RT and was wondering what are your thoughts on the following:
Assumptions:
1) would like an original appearing engine
2) around 425 - 450 HP

Questions are around intake, carburetor, plug wires, distributor

Regards
Brad

Chryco Psycho

Most of the engines I built were stock appearing with internal mods , I cannot build anything stock .
You goals are easily in reach , you can build 512 ci & still look stock from the outside for example .
They used to make an Alum version of the stock intake or you can use a Holley street dominator which is an awesome performer & sits low , factory carb would be a limiting factor but it is possible to build a relatively stock appearing carb with bigger throttle body & base plate & get more flow , cam is key too but no one can see that . , Mopar dist can be tweaked internally no aftermarket dist is nessisary

303 Mopar

Here are the internals on my 505 stroker.  Great on the street and has 440 hp and 530 tq at the wheels.

https://forum.e-bodies.org/engine-transmission-and-rear-end/4/505-stroker-parts-list/26/msg108#msg108

gzig5

If you paint the intake and heads and don't remove the air cleaner, who's going to know you have a 500+ inch stroker?

Ebbs

Guys

Thanks for the advice

Regards
Brad

7E-Bodies

So where does one look for "Alum version of the stock intake" and how close do they look? Still kicking around ideas for my original stock 440 before it embarks on its machine shop venue.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on September 26, 2019, 01:33:43 PM
So where does one look for "Alum version of the stock intake" and how close do they look? Still kicking around ideas for my original stock 440 before it embarks on its machine shop venue.

I haven't seen one in years but MP had them cast by Edelbrock, if they had put the part # on it it could have passed as a 70 440 Magnum stock intake...   They did a 340, 383 & 440, all were 70 clones in aluminum...

RUNCHARGER

Antique Edelbrock CH4B is a good intake as well. You can reach your goal with a dual plane intake, a more modern camshaft and pocket ported stock heads IMO, especially if you add a better than stock carb.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Nothing on Ebay , you could check with Mancini Racing in Mi