Main Menu

Exhaust for maximum ground clearance

Started by Scooter, April 18, 2020, 11:49:10 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Scooter

Hi all, looking for general advise on exhaust for ground clearance. Love the stance of my Challenger but I'm scraping pavement nearly every time I take it out for a drive. Honestly don't know how the previous owner took this thing anywhere... lol.

Got a whopping 2" of ground clearance on the passenger side with no one in the car. That neat dimple at the front of the header was the result of the mechanic trying to get it on an alignment rack after installing SPC adjustable upper A arms to get correct camber. The mufflers at the rear bottom out occasionally as well if I hit a good whoopey-doo on the highway over 75mph. Currently has a set of Hooker Super Comp's and Pypes 2-1/2" exhaust.

Plan is to install a set of TTI shorty's and have 2-1/2" exhaust (with X-pipe) all the way back and have a set of mufflers only just prior to the exhaust tips up high next to the tank. Like the sound (and location)of the Magnaflows Topcat has on his Cuda and am leaning in that direction. Would like to purchase as much of it as possible from TTI to avoid issues. A few folks with the TTI shorty's have noted their Header adapter pipes could be up closer to the bottom of the car. Will give TTI a call and see how much they can help out.

I have already purchased a 90 degree oil filter adapter and it's on the way. Anything other considerations I need to be mindful of?

-Scott

7212Mopar

You should not have ground issues with shorty headers and even full length TTI that goes above the steering linkage. TTI exhaust system had issue with their straight header adapters but they have a fix for that. Just talk to Sam at TTI. A few of us got the fix and there is thread on here. Is this small block or big block.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Scooter

^^ Small block 360. Did not see mention of a fix in the threads I have read.. can you please link?

RUNCHARGER

Hooker should just quit making headers altogether. Their Mopar headers have been junk for decades, they could easily have updated their obsolete designs and poor workmanshhip by now.
Sheldon

floorit426

usraptor

I realize it's a different engine, but I'm running the TTI long tube headers on my '70 'Cuda with a 440 and have no issues with the headers or exhaust hitting.  And the front of my car has the torsion bars adjusted so it sits lower than normal.

anlauto

How about a picture of your car to get an idea on it's stance ? Your current header clearance sucks :thumbdown:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Scooter

I've looked at the TTI long tube, best photos installed I've seen puts the collector right at or just below the tranny pan. Might still be too low. If anyone has them installed and would care to post up some pics I'd be happy to look at them. Shorty's seem to be the best bet to guarantee ground clearance.

Side view

Ground level

From the collector back

MoparLeo

One thing to do is to check what the ride height is set at. Then compare to what it should be. All exhaust clearances are based on what the factory recommended ride height is. The specs can be found in section 2-30 of your 1973 Dodge Chassis Service Manual.
https://www.aa1car.com/library/ride2h.htm
moparleo@hotmail.com  For professionally rebuilt door hinges...

7212Mopar

GoodysGotaCuda

Gen3 Hemi TTI headers, front is lowered a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

7212Mopar

I am running 245/45/17 front and center of wheel fender arch is about 24.75" from ground, on the low side. But I am running Hotchikis 1.1 torsion bar. The TTI header flange end is about 3.25" to the floor. I don't have ground clearance issue after the TTI tail piece fix and I have a sloped driveway. If you have taller tires, you will have more clearance.

screamindriver

Maybe I was one of the lucky ones.. My Hooker Super Comp headers{1 7/8th primaries} had no issues with ground clearance..I used one of the first TTI 3 inch H pipes for a gear vendors OD and had to report on the fit...From there it was the standard TTI 3 inch exhaust..The exhaust can only be so close to the floorpan...If the vehicle is lowered from the factory ride height there's not much to be done other than a full custom exhaust with some creative routing.. :alan2cents:

Scooter

Thanks for the photo Goody! You've got more than double my clearance at that location and does not look like yours have ever touched asphalt.

Current tires Back BFG 255-60r-15 102s, Front BFG 255-60r-15 95s. Engine and tranny mounts look correct. Torsion bars are adjusted down.

Here is a shot from the rear forward.

Bullitt-

I have Pypes 2.5 exhaust as well.. my mufflers appear to be higher up than what I'm seeing in your photo 

I've got the cheap Hooker Headers, routed the exhaust through the cross member

.                                               [glow=black,42,300]Doin It Southern Syle[/glow]