Cudajason

Quote from: Brads70 on November 30, 2017, 08:18:48 PM
Looks like you have a few options....
boregson steering box
shim motor mounts
wedge cut manifold
shim steering box

Yeah options are good!

I am going to try to shim the mounts first and see if that works. It seems to be the cheapest and easiest option right now. And I get to make some shims!!!

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Cudajason

Well after a break over the Christmas break, I am back on this project.

Spent a little time this week making some shims for the engine mounts and tried mounting the everything up. 

Still a few tweaks to make, but it looks like the new mounts and shims will work and give me just enough clearance to bolt up the manifolds.

I have about 1/8th of an inch clearance at the input side of the steering box.

I am a little worried about running these to be honest...THEY ARE REALLY CLOSE TO THE STERRING BOX!!!  I am worried abut heating the box up and melting all the seals.

What to you guys think...would you run them with so little clearance, or would you try to find some 73 /74 LA Manifolds?? 

Here are a few pics...

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Brads70

You could grind the box some to get more clearance? I did on mine.

Cudajason

Quote from: Brads70 on January 14, 2018, 04:36:28 AM
You could grind the box some to get more clearance? I did on mine.

@Brads70 yeah, I ground a bit of the box last year.  The closest area is the threaded part of the box.  I am not sure how comfortable I am grind more off.

Even so, how much more clearance would that gain.

Everything  just seems so close!!!!

Jason

RUNCHARGER

I've had them that close and it's worked. A nice piece of asbestos insulation would work well there. Of course that isn't doable these days but maybe a piece of header wrap or something of that ilk.
Sheldon

dodj

Paint those when you are done Jason. Something like Eastwood cast manifold paint. As is they don't look like they belong in your engine compartment. :alan2cents:

Why is the 2 cents emoji called alan?  :thinking:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

GY3R/T

Install a solid motor mount on drivers side and shim for clearance. Engine (and exhaust manifold ) won't go up and won't come down. Leave passenger side mount rubber so you won't vibrate everything lose, including your fillings.  Driver side is your torque side and will keep the engine from slamming the bottom of the hood. (if running a rubber mount with high horse power)

Marc70challenger

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on January 14, 2018, 09:42:50 AM
I've had them that close and it's worked. A nice piece of asbestos insulation would work well there. Of course that isn't doable these days but maybe a piece of header wrap or something of that ilk.

That (header wrap piece) is what we did to protect power steering reservoir from fender well headers that have 1/8th in. Or less clearance.  It protects it well.  Just cut open the wrap, taped it with that metallic exhaust tape to get size and fit you want  and used bailing wire to keep it in place. 

Cudajason

Thanks for all the input guys, always appreciated.

But, I am having trouble wrapping my head around these...it is just so close to the steering box.

I have rebuilt the steering box an know how many rubber O-rings and seals are in the box, all of which will be less then an inch from the exhaust manifold...that is a lot of heat.  I just think that the heat has the potential to melt all the O-rings and seal in the box...they what!!! :pullinghair: :pullinghair:

I think it may make more sense to find some stock manifolds and go from there. :notsure:

Jason

jimynick

OR, get another set of headers. I recently saw they make block hugger ones should you be so inclined. Now you know why the factory had that weird upsweep to theirs, eh?  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

GY3R/T

Is your engine producing enough horse power to warrant magnum exhaust manifolds. What kind of heads are you running. Stock manifols should be readily available and flow fine for mildly built 318/360.

Cudajason

Quote from: GY3R/T on January 15, 2018, 07:49:48 PM
  Is your engine producing enough horse power to warrant magnum exhaust manifolds. What kind of heads are you running. Stock manifols should be readily available and flow fine for mildly built 318/360.

Great question...but not my focus with this project.  My car is a cruiser and I am just looking for a better solution for the exhaust.  The old crappy headers I had would never seal and throw off a lot of heat..that any they bottomed out all the time.

That is my plan...look for a set of stock manifolds.

Quote from: jimynick on January 15, 2018, 07:47:29 PM
OR, get another set of headers. I recently saw they make block hugger ones should you be so inclined. Now you know why the factory had that weird upsweep to theirs, eh?  :cheers:

Not sure I want to go the block hugger route, but may take a look.  I think the upsweep was only for the HP 340 manifolds.

Jason 

PLUM72

Any one know what kind of steering box clearance there was between factory cast manifolds and the power steering box?  Doesn't matter big or small block, just looking for a number.  This might would help the determine how close is too close.

I would think you could get more clearance by grinding some material away on the manifold in the tight areas.  A Jet Hot like coating would keep things looking nice and manage the heat while providing some additional flow.

-Dave
'72 Challenger
'13 Challenger