Main Menu

Magnum Manifolds - New plan

Started by Cudajason, November 30, 2017, 06:37:36 AM

Previous topic Next topic

YYZ

FWIW the upswept (driver's side) 340 manifold is the easier one to find of the pair as they were used on '71 A-body 340 cars. 

Flow, IIRC is very similar between the late Magnum manifolds (360 in particular) and the '68-'70 340 ones, so you wouldn't have a big mismatch from side to side.

Post up on Kijiji and get ready to hit the first Ancaster meet?

Cudajason

@anlauto Allan, do you have any pics of the non HP 340 manifolds on an assembled engine / k frame, that you could share?

Thanks,

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

anlauto

@Cudajason  What is a "non HP 340 manifold" ?

Not sure if I have pictures of what you want, BUT....here is a 1971 340 with the correct 71 manifolds..... :dunno:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

RUNCHARGER

Jeez: I didn't realize that 71 340 E-bodies used both the "junk" log manifolds. Yet the 71 340 is the best one due to the TQ. I wish I had known that when I was building sleepers back in the 70's.
Sheldon

GY3R/T

Beleive it or not.. There's not a lot of difference in flow between  68-70 HP's and 71 logs.

Cudajason

Thanks @anlauto ....that is exactly what I was looking for. 

I am guessing the casting numbers on those manifolds are:

pass - 3418623
driver - 3418621

These seems to be lots of space between the manifolds and steering box. 

For a guy like me, whose focus is not so much on the power, this look like the ticket!

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

Cudajason

Ok new plan!!!

I picked up these up today off of Kijiji!

Casting numbers are:

pass - 3418623
driver - 3418621

Which are for 71-73 340.

They need a little bit of work on the heat riser, but they will work!

Any suggestions on the heat riser, I have no interest in rebuilding it ($300 for the kit!!!)

Jason

Topcat

Looking good Jason.

Can't wait to hear my previous mufflers and resonators roar to life once again.

RUNCHARGER

The heat riser isn't really necessary on a hobby car IMO. If the shaft is not there you can just run a bolt across with a nut to seal the holes up.
Sheldon

Chryco Psycho

Or tap the holes with a pipe tap & insert plugs

Cudajason

Quote from: Topcat on January 21, 2018, 04:43:16 PM
Looking good Jason.

Can't wait to hear my previous mufflers and resonators roar to life once again.

Yeah me too!  been a long time coming.

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on January 21, 2018, 08:06:27 PM
Or tap the holes with a pipe tap & insert plugs

It looks like that is what some one did...but not well.  I will likely drill out what's there and try that.

Jason

RUNCHARGER

Don't wrench them in too tight and crack the casting.
Sheldon

jimynick

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on January 22, 2018, 05:14:09 PM
Yep, couldn't you use brass plugs? You'll not likely get it hot enough to pose a problem with them. Kenny over at Brant Performance in Brantford has a set of the upswept manifolds laying on a shelf. I saw them the other day and forgot to ask him what he'd take for them, should you be interested. As for the heat riser, is the original shaft still there Jason? If it is, we can get it loosened for you. Let me know if that's something we could help with, eh?  :cheers:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Cudajason

Quote from: jimynick on January 22, 2018, 08:55:20 PM
Quote from: RUNCHARGER on January 22, 2018, 05:14:09 PM
Yep, couldn't you use brass plugs? You'll not likely get it hot enough to pose a problem with them. Kenny over at Brant Performance in Brantford has a set of the upswept manifolds laying on a shelf. I saw them the other day and forgot to ask him what he'd take for them, should you be interested. As for the heat riser, is the original shaft still there Jason? If it is, we can get it loosened for you. Let me know if that's something we could help with, eh?  :cheers:

Thanks for the offer Ian @jimynick   I think I am good with what I have. 

No heat riser shaft left in the manifolds.  I will likely try go with the brass plugs.  Looks like there are sleeves in the manifold that have already been tapped.  I will drill them out and tap them.

Don't worry I will post pics as I go!!!

I think I will hit up Accurate next week for some head pipes and maybe over the axle pipes. 

Jason

PLUM72

Looks good.  How much more clearance do you have with the old 340 manifolds over the magnum manifolds?  I saw the pictures but looking for an dimensional estimate.  I think you barely had an 1/8 inch with the magnums. 
-Dave
'72 Challenger
'13 Challenger