Main Menu

Manifolds vs TTI, TTI Kit vs Custom, What to do!

Started by kawahonda, June 21, 2018, 09:40:31 AM

Previous topic Next topic

kawahonda

Hi guys,

Still waiting to pick up my 340 Challenger. One thing I know however is that the mufflers look a little shot and the tips are corroded. I'd say that it needs a new exhaust system eventually.  I want to start thinking about it.

Everyone recommends TTI headers for fit, finish, durability, and performance. Which TTI headers are people recommending? The shorties or the steps? Another question: do these TTI headers that everyone is putting on a pain to deal with as far as road scraping, ground clearance, etc?

Second question: The stock 1970 Manifolds are high flow...well for 1970. Do TTI headers provide significantly more power than the stock manifolds?

Third question. Is it cheaper to buy the TTI exhaust kit (and have a shop install) vs driving the car down to a local exhaust shop and having a custom system installed (over the axle as a requirement of course)?

Fourth question: Mufflers. I think it's a definite "no" on Flowmaster 40s. So how about the 50 series delta flow? Or something else? My fear with the 50 series is that they may be too quiet. Definitely do not want any drone, but would like a little bit of noise outside the car. Nothing that would wake up neighbors though. :)
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

Chryco Psycho

Your call on manifolds or headers
TTI fit tight & have the best ground clearance , I would use long tube if you are going to use headers
I would use Dynomax or Hooker aero mufflers over any Flowbastard
TTi is mandrel bent a local shop will crush bend

Burdar

I used the shorties on my Dart just because it's going to be really low to the ground and the full length TTI's were going to hang too low.  Since you are running 15" wheels/tires and a stockish stance, the full length headers will have plenty of ground clearance.  The full length will provide more power then the shorties.

QuoteTTi is mandrel bent a local shop will crush bend

This is correct.  The TTI system will be the same size all the way through...even the bends.  A traditional tubing bender crushed the pipe at the bends.  The sharper the bend, the more the pipe gets crushed.  There is nothing wrong with that type of system if you are just street driving the car.  Most guys like finding HP where ever they can though.  A mandrel bent system like TTI, will give you some extra HP.  My guess is that you won't find a local shop that does a good job for less than the TTI system.  Local exhaust shops have become a thing of the past. All the car makers have gone to SS exhaust.  The factory exhaust will last the life of the car.

Mufflers are a personal preference.  I happen to like the sound of Flowmasters but I know a lot of people don't.  I'm with you in trying to decide between the 40 and 50 series.  I know some people use the 40's and if it's too loud, they install another muffler at the back by the gas tank to quiet it down.  TTI sells Dynomax mufflers.  I suggest going to shows and listening to what you think sounds good.  Then ask the owners what they are using.  Personlly, I've never though the Dynomax mufflers sounded good. 

Cuda Cody

@Burdar   :inlove: Love your signature!!!   He's always with us now.   :grouphug:

303 Mopar

The good thing about manifolds is being able to work around them and easy to remove if needed. Headers are a PITA and make everything tighter clearance. Yes headers will give you more HP, but I'm not so sure you will feel it on a stock 340 but maybe a little.

If you go with headers I would go TTI as they are the best, and I would recommend buying the whole kit from them as it fits well, works together and is one stop shop.  The ceramic coated are worth it.  Even their tips are good quality, but pricey. I would recommend an H-pipe over X because IMO the H has a deeper tone.

Here is a TTI set up on my Challenger with a 408 stroker (sorry for the blurry video), and on my Charger with a 505 stroker.

kawahonda

Good stuff! But I'm still confused which TTI headers everyone is using. Step Headers or the "Racing" Headers?  Thanks!

I'd rather not replace my manifolds, but the problem is that I should get a new exhaust. Getting a new exhaust from TTI, then getting headers in the future for TTI (probably) will create more work in hooking it all up I would imagine...

Burdar

Step headers.  No need for the large primary tubes on a mild street car. :alan2cents:

kawahonda

Thanks! So it's the step headers that everyone is using.

303 Mopar

Cudakiller70

If it's going to be a cruiser I would keep the stock manifolds. We have a 71 340 Challenger using TTI shortys l like these a lot and for the same reasons burdar already noted above. Plus they are soooo easy to install and have great clearance all around to work on everything else.
http://www.ttiexhaust.com/MoparClassics-Headers/34025-Shorty/TTi34025.htm

Rich G.

I have the stock manifolds and exhaust on my Cuda and Challenger and I think it looks and sounds great. Fits perfect, can work on anything underneath without a problem and you don't have to send it out to make it fit! Unless you're racing the car what is the pros vs the cons? Sorry, just put an engine in my friends chevelle and I cursed those headers every step of the way!

kawahonda

I guess my question to you guys is this...

If I get stock length manifold exhaust kit from TTI, how much of a pain would it be to add TTI headers in the future, if that ever happens?

303 Mopar

A good muffler shop can cut the pipes back and add any necessary bends and connectors to make it fit.

1 Wild R/T

TTI sells manifold to H pipe pipes & header to H pipe pipes... The H pipe remains the same.... So you disconnect the head pipes from the H pipe & install the header reducer connectors....

kawahonda

Sounds like TTI exhaust that bolts up to the manifolds is an awesome choice at this point in time... muffler TBD. Stock to 2.5"....ignore the headers for now ..