Main Menu

12V electrical Question

Started by cuda hunter, April 06, 2020, 07:07:27 AM

Previous topic Next topic

cuda hunter

I have an electrical winch that is 12V.  It clamps to the battery of a car and then will pull whatever into itself.
I'm wondering if it does any damage to the winch or a battery charger if I just hook a 12v battery charger directly to the winch.
This way I don't have to have a car battery in use and I am basically using the electrical battery charger as an inverter.
Will this work with no ill effects? 
"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

GoodysGotaCuda

Assuming it's an old style charger it would have to put out some considerable amperage to be able to support a winch of decent size.

Any newer style smart charger won't put out current without sending a battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

dodj

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on April 06, 2020, 07:19:39 AM
Assuming it's an old style charger it would have to put out some considerable amperage to be able to support a winch of decent size.

Any newer style smart charger won't put out current without sending a battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
:iagree:
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

JS29

:no: A charger produces 12V but can't store it.  you can't start a car with just a battery charger.  :alan2cents:

73_Cuda_4_Me

Agree with all of the above...

Current draw of a winch is significantly more than a normal charger would put out... a battery can handle whatever cold cranking amps it's rated at, usually 350-400 amps and up, for a few minutes... lesser loads like a winch (20-30 amps?) can run for some time on a battery...
73 340 `Cuda 727 Auto on Column

BS23H3B

RUNCHARGER

I also think the best way to damage electrical motors is to not supply them enough amps.
Sheldon

JS29

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on April 06, 2020, 08:30:26 AM
I also think the best way to damage electrical motors is to not supply them enough amps.
:iagree: :yes:

Chryco Psycho

:iagree:
the other way to damage a motor is to let the smoke out
We all know electricity is powered by smoke  :rofl: