Main Menu

360 engine at the swap meet

Started by GoMangoBoys, July 10, 2022, 06:22:26 PM

Previous topic Next topic

GoMangoBoys

I am coming to Carlisle with the hopes of getting parts for the Challenger, but also with the hopes of getting a 360 engine to rebuild for my 32 Plymouth project.  I had previously built a Chevy 350 for it, but have decided to go all Mopar on the project.  You guys have been rubbing off on me I guess.   :)  Any thing that I want to look for or anything that I want to avoid?
Thanks

Mr Cuda

It depends.  Are you going to rebuild it?
If so, 71-4 as they are thick wall blocks.
After 75 deck height got tall and sometimes you had to deck a fair amount to get proper compression.
If you just want to clean it up and run it, get a 360 magnum  and convert to carburetor. They make good power.
My 83 360 got decked .100",  heads .020" and  still only has maybe 9.0 compression. Pistons are .040" below deck.

Scooter

^^^ Just pulled the heads off my 75 360LA today... slugs are a full .100 in the hole. At first I thought the dial gauge was not moving... then noted it was 1 full turn... lol.

GoMangoBoys

@Mr Cuda  I do plan to rebuild it.  In fact, I may go crazy and do a stroker from it.
Thanks.

Mr Cuda

If only you were closer.  I have  several 71 360's needing homes.
360 is stroked enough  for a small block.  More crank means more air, which means edelbrock heads at the least.
At that point,  440 crank 400 would be my choice..
But a .060 over 360 built like a 340 is a great combo
Or pay more to sonic check the block and go .080 or even. 100 over.
  90's truck  360 would still be my choice  for the roller cam.

GoMangoBoys

I posted on a Mopar facebook group.  Someone is offering me an 89 pre-magnum roller or a 1975.  Any thoughts?

Mr Cuda

The 89 360 is cool because the engine takes the regular intake manifold, and is roller, BUT.....
It suffers from the lifter angle to pushrod that all early LA motors have, and no cam selection (last I checked).
Roller cams became neseccary from low engine speeds , as part of the overdrive,  emission,  gas mileage, and  oil reformulation  to get rid of heavy metals .
So beyond a stock rebuild,  not my first choice, although good for overdrive applications.
The magnum 360 has better heads, better compression,  good roller cam selection,  etc.
And early motors are well known, no need to give a dissertation.

GoMangoBoys

@Mr Cuda  You said 71-74 are good, but "after 75" deck height got tall.  Does this mean that 75 is good too, or did you mean that 75 and later had the deck height get tall?
Thanks.

Filthy Filbert

I have a 5.9 Magnum block, crank, stock rods and pistons that I'll make you a deal on.   And I'm in Ohio.    parts still need machine work. 

I was going to use it to build a 408 stroker for my dakota, but I also made a promise to myself that I wouldn't do anything more than general maintenance to the Dakota until the Cuda is finished, and I'm not full swing into body work on the cuda.   I have also decided that I'm done with the fuel injected magnum stuff, and if I ever do anything drastic to the Dakota after the cuda is done...it will be gen3 Hemi based.

Mr Cuda

The 71-74 360's have the thick wall bores.  By 75-6 they got thinner,  by79 and up most agree to limit boring  to .020"
Deck height has to be checked and trimmed on all of them to confirm  piston specs , i.e. piston below deck height.  Remember,  I'm in the minority,  but don't like strikers. 360 is stroked enough from the ideal 340 combo
  I only mentioned the older block in going 360 stroke and maximum overbore. I think you can get a 372 from. 100 over.
Filthy has a short block,  but you will need heads, carb type intake,  probably cam.
The magnum has swirl port heads and is designed to have ideal quench on the chamber. Better rocker geometry, etc.
Do a cost sheet on each.