Main Menu

Any Thoughts on a Issue with my Ram

Started by Cudajason, July 04, 2017, 02:20:20 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Cudajason

Hey guys, I know this is slightly off topic, but it is mopar related.   :notsure:

Looking for some thoughts on what is wrong on my wife's 2008 Ram 4X4.

When she lets off the brakes the is often a squeal / squeak coming form the front drivers wheel.   It only happens when the wheels are turning.

I had the front wheel apart over the weekend and made sure the breaks were free and nothing was rubbing.  It all looked fine.  No noise when spinning the wheel by hand.  The wheel bearings and lower ball joints were replaced last year.

Driving it today, she said she here a slight squeal almost constantly.

I am wondering if it is the CV joint in the front axel...but any thoughts on what else it could be or ideas to conform its the CV joint would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

usraptor

How thick are your brake pads?  Could be the wear indicator is scratching the rotor if they are getting close to be worn out.
Another possibility would be that the pads are glazed over.  If they still have plenty of meat, take the pads out and buff them with some 220 or lower sand paper too break up the glaze.
Lastly, when the breaks were done last was anti-squeal (the blue stuff) applied to the back of the pads and were the pins and shims lubed?  If you're sure the bearings are good any of the above could be causing the squeal.
Usually if the CV joint is going bad you usually get a clunking sound when making tight turns, not a squeal.   Good luck and let us know what you find.

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  I was going to say brake indicator (noise maker) or the anti squeal gel behind the pads.   :alan2cents:

A.Gramz

Could be anything and I wouldn't rule out the wheel bearings just b/c there a year old.  I've seen them go in as little as a week.  I also just had a buddy that said his breaks were making noise while driving.   Turned out when I looked at it. His a/c clutch was bad.  Only started squeeling when the rpm started to get above idle.  So.  Could be anything check around

How many miles on the pads?

anlauto

Obviously the truck is old and you need to buy her a new Lime Green one.....duh :Stirring:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Cudajason

Quote from: anlauto on July 04, 2017, 04:02:13 PM
Obviously the truck is old and you need to buy her a new Lime Green one.....duh :Stirring:

As soon as I saw that you replied @anlauto I knew that would be the comment.  Trust my I would if we could swing it!

Thanks guys for the comments.

just to answer the questions, pads have lots of meat on them, they were done last fall.  No wear tabs on them either.  I did use some break lube / anti squeal on the pads etc.

Would the pads glazing over cause a squeak as you release the brakes?

Quote from: A.Gramz on July 04, 2017, 02:54:50 PM
Could be anything and I wouldn't rule out the wheel bearings just b/c there a year old.  I've seen them go in as little as a week.  I also just had a buddy that said his breaks were making noise while driving.   Turned out when I looked at it. His a/c clutch was bad.  Only started squeeling when the rpm started to get above idle.  So.  Could be anything check around

How many miles on the pads?

I checked under the hood with the truck running and it does not seem to be under the hood. 

Jason

1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

anlauto

We had one at our local dealer, now it's on the next street over...I see it all the time and it stands out like a sore (green) thumb.....I think of you guys every time I see it. :drunk:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

jimynick

Jas, have you tried jacking it up off the ground on stands and then running it while you're able to get right down around it? Possible brake dust shield rubbing? Even wear on pads side to side to eliminate a sticking/stuck caliper? Are you sure it's a brake issue and not, as you mention, a driveline issue?  :thinking:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

Cudakiller70

Brads70

Quote from: anlauto on July 04, 2017, 06:50:58 PM
We had one at our local dealer, now it's on the next street over...I see it all the time and it stands out like a sore (green) thumb.....I think of you guys every time I see it. :drunk:

I've seen a few of them around , caught my attention too for some reason?  :D  I like them!

A.Gramz

Do u have a temp gun.  If so take it for a good drive and compair temp side to side see if you have a sticking caliper

If that checks ok looks like you'll have to take it apart wire brush and lube again. If your pads have plates rivited to the back make sure none are missing or damaged.  The stainless steel clips the pads sit in sometime build rust under them and make it hard for pads to slide.   Remove wire brush and reinstall. 

anlauto

303 Mopar

Quote from: anlauto on July 04, 2017, 06:50:58 PM

More details and specs on a big green machine in case your interested......

https://www.ramtrucks.com/limited-editions/1500/sublime-green/index.html?pid=hrown&adid=2017ramretailq2enews&sid=ram&channel=e_direct

ViperMan

I'd recommend pulling the wheel, the brake caliper and the rotor - check behind the rotor and see if something is lodged between the rotor and the dust shield (which might fall out when you remove the rotor anyways) or if the dust shield itself is rusted/warped (this happens ALL the time to ALL makes and models of vehicles) and is rubbing the rotor as it turns.  I get this issue all the time as I work on a construction site and am constantly getting little stones/pebbles kicked up, lodged into the dust shield, and then just squeals/rubs/grinds as the rotor turns.  I've gotten so used to it that I figured out how to turn the wheel hard left, reach behind it and just "flick" the dust shield (which is mostly rusted away anyways) to knock loose any debris.  If yours is newer/in better shape/behind a deeper rim though, this might not be an option to do and you'll have to take things apart.