Main Menu

Anyone catch Scott on Graveyard Carz?

Started by Cuda Cody, June 14, 2017, 11:50:38 PM

Previous topic Next topic

EV2RTSE

Overall I think the show has gotten better over the years, and congrats to all who have made appearances on it! I think all the exposure on TV is good for the hobby in general. In regards to the Phantom Cuda, I don't know if it was originally a billboard car or not, IIRC the early pics of the car show it without the board, so if they added that they may as well have gone ahead and put a painted grille on it too- even if it came with an argent grille originally, but whatever. Car looks cool either way and there's another e-body among the living.

anlauto

A couple of years ago when I sold the Barrelcuda to a guy in Alberta, he owned the "phantom cuda" and was all excited about having them restore the car....I wonder if he's still the owner ?
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

303 Mopar

Quote from: anlauto on June 15, 2017, 09:04:43 AM
A couple of years ago when I sold the Barrelcuda to a guy in Alberta, he owned the "phantom cuda" and was all excited about having them restore the car....I wonder if he's still the owner ?

A couple out of North Carolina bought the car.

moparmadman69

Quote from: Cuda Cody on June 15, 2017, 07:52:35 AM
Our very own Colby from Accurate Exhaust was on there too.  @moparmadman69   All the cool E-Bodies.org guys were there.

I don't know if cool is the correct word you are looking for. I still haven't seen it but have been catching garbage from guys around the shop who have.

Chryco Psycho

Congrats I watched the show the last time back in nov !

Topcat

Quote from: Cuda Cody on June 15, 2017, 07:52:35 AM
Our very own Colby from Accurate Exhaust was on there too.  @moparmadman69   All the cool E-Bodies.org guys were there.

Cody,

I just know you can somehow make it on the show.

Your E Body decoder is the key.   :bigthumb: 

303 Mopar

It appears GYC is continuing to grow their inventory with this '71 Chally with sidepipes no less  :banana:

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

MoparJunkie

I watched the episode and while I don't know Scott, after they announced he is from Spokane, WA (I am as well) I instantly felt by proxy famous too, lol. So I googled him and found out he rebuilds carbs. Good to always know who the local guys are. You never know when you might need some help! Congrats on putting yourself and Spokane on the map!

As far as graveyard cars is concerned I do enjoy the show a lot more than I used to, now that they have gotten rid of some staff members. Marks craziness can get a bit much at times, but he knows a lot more about mopars than I do. I just wish he'd be a little more humble about his knowledge, seems there are plenty of episodes where he can do no wrong, and his work is far superior than anyone else in his shop. But then again its a TV show, and overall I do enjoy the mopars that get built and the knowledge that is shared.

Question about the phantom cuda though. What percentage of the original body needs to be left in order for it to not be considered a rebody? AMD did a ton of work on that car and it turned out gorgeous, but their didn't seem to be much of the original car left. Wasn't sure if a re-body classification is based something factual like a percentage and is looked over by judges or someone? Or is it just subject to everyone's opinion, in which case that will vary?

Cuda Cody

That's a tough question.  I think to be a re-body a person would have to remove the VIN and place it on a different body.  But since they didn't use a complete "used" body from another car they instead bought all new panels and made a new car.... I guess it's not technically a re-body.   :dunno:

Quote from: MoparJunkie on June 19, 2017, 12:11:01 PM
Question about the phantom cuda though. What percentage of the original body needs to be left in order for it to not be considered a rebody? AMD did a ton of work on that car and it turned out gorgeous, but their didn't seem to be much of the original car left. Wasn't sure if a re-body classification is based something factual like a percentage and is looked over by judges or someone? Or is it just subject to everyone's opinion, in which case that will vary?

MoparJunkie

Yeah I don't think you can get much closer to a re-body than they did though. I'm sure most wouldn't have bothered to try to repair it like they did, so kudos to them for trying to use all the original parts. It looked like a crushed tin can when they got it!

Quote from: Cuda Cody on June 19, 2017, 12:17:57 PM
That's a tough question.  I thing to be a re-body a person would have to remove the VIN and place it on a different body.  But since they didn't use a complete "used" body from another car they instead bought all new panels and made a new car.... I guess it's not technically a re-body.   :dunno:

anlauto

The rebody question has always, and always will be a matter of each person's personal opinion. Very grey area when it comes to cars that have been repaired like this one has. :alan2cents:

303 Mopar

This pic is about what was left of the Cuda that was shipped to AMD.  The re-body question is a subjective one, but the VIN tag was not removed and put on another car which is obviously a re-body.  And GYC restored the car according to the factory, with the exception of specific things the new owner wanted, to the best of their ability. They replaced the vast majority of metal, but the firewall was in tact along with the core of the cabin.  So, in my opinion this was not a re-body.   :andyangel:

MoparJunkie

Quote from: 303 Mopar on June 19, 2017, 12:51:03 PM

This pic is about what was left of the Cuda that was shipped to AMD.  The re-body question is a subjective one, but the VIN tag was not removed and put on another car which is obviously a re-body.  And GYC restored the car according to the factory, with the exception of specific things the new owner wanted, to the best of their ability. They replaced the vast majority of metal, but the firewall was in tact along with the core of the cabin.  So, in my opinion this was not a re-body.   :andyangel:

Yeah I would agree, I don't think the phantom cuda was a re-body either, I was just wondering how close it was. I'm personally thinking what your picture has, maybe even minus the roof, but you gotta have something to start welding on and what your picture shows to me is pretty much MY opinion of the bare minimum. One things for sure, you can't claim much to be original lol. Except I think he had the original steering wheel lol (maybe I'm thinking of another car). Overall, I'm glad they saved it. I wonder what the price tag was to restore that beast though!

ScottSmith_Harms

Moparjunkie, come by and visit, Spokane is a small town, I'm on Broadway near Argonne in the Valley.  :drinkingbud: