Main Menu

Console same for manual and automatic?

Started by gzig5, November 02, 2018, 05:34:41 PM

Previous topic Next topic

gzig5

If/when I go to a manual transmission I'd like to keep my console.  What is different between an auto and manual.  Obviously the slap stick shifter plate is not there but is that it or is it a different wood grain insert?

dodj

They are different. The plate and the base.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

The entire chrome/woodgrain top plate is different, the hole is larger and in a slightly different location. The top plate is available in reproduction.
The entire bottom half of the console is different to fit over the four speed hump, although someone was selling a template to cut an automatic one to fit a four speed.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

GY3R/T

And 5 screw top plate 71-74 vs 4 screw 1970.

screamindriver

Here's an example of a template for the conversion...

303 Mopar

All the more reason to consider no console. The manual console look unfinished with the large gap.  No console with a 4 speed looks real clean IMO.

anlauto

I agree, not a fan of the console at all. 8)
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Rich G.

You need a console for all the little stuff for the road trip. And a place to put your coffee cup down! And a rag when it tips over.😩

JS29

Quote from: 303 Mopar on November 03, 2018, 10:53:29 AM
All the more reason to consider no console. The manual console look unfinished with the large gap.  No console with a 4 speed looks real clean IMO.
:iagree: I prefer the look of the pistol grip in it's full glory!

gzig5

Yeah, the no-console look is pretty clean with the pistol grip.  Going to have to think about it when I get there.  I do have an extra console to play with if I want to cut and try.
:thankyou:

YellowThumper

I have posted this before as an alternative. Out of an early 2000nds Dakota 4x4. Fits snug between seats to stay in place and I remove when showing.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

DodgeGuy

Quote from: 303 Mopar on November 03, 2018, 10:53:29 AM

:iagree:

When we first bought our '74 last year, one of the things I was seriously considering was installing the console over the 4-speed shifter.  I was just used to that look because the '73 we had way back in 1993 had one (albeit, it was an automatic with the slapstick T-shifter), and to me that's the way it was supposed to look.

However, now that we've had our '74 for a year, the look of not having the console has definitely grown on me, definitely looks "cleaner" to me.  There's just something about that pistol-grip shifter coming out of the floor with nothing else around it that just looks badazz/menacing to me.  I think once I redo the interior in my car (new carpet, as the old is pretty faded, having the original seats reupholstered, etc.) it will look even better.

I think the console works/looks great with the automatic T-shifter though.
1974 Dodge Challenger Rallye
360 4Barrel HP
Factory 4-Speed