Main Menu

Lets Get Personal .....

Started by anlauto, January 12, 2017, 08:51:02 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Mopsquad

I've been on this site for a few years, just now seeing this thread. 

May of 1970, myself and mom (dad didn't drive) went up the Decarie expressway in Montreal to pick up the new car she ordered, a 1970 318 purple Duster.  On the lot was a new model that I had never seen before.  Back then, 5 year olds could easily be car aficionados with so much diversity (and colours) between models.  This was a new one - It was called a Barracuda.  Love at first site.  it became my obsession, cutting pics from magazines, drawing it best I could.  I yearned for one, hoping that they would still be around when I was old enough to buy a car.  I was afraid that they would non existent when I got older (the naivety of the young brain).

I finally purchased my first car crush in 2017. 

Pic of me and me other girl, 1965 Mustang fastback.

anlauto

This is a great thread to bring back...Hopefully more people will join in, or even update their status... :drinkingbud:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

FF376

Real name is Dave, I'm 46 , married for 24 years with two kids. 18 yo son and 16 yo daughter. Also like a lot on here we have 2 cats and 2 dogs all from local shelters...

Grew up in a rural area with tractors and equipment to fool with. Graduated to several off road bikes throughout my teens and early 20's. Some off road Jeeps as well... Mopar family as Pop has a '57 Royal and owned a 68 Charger and a Ramcharger along with some uncles that had GTX's and Sport Fury's back in the day..

Went to the local votech school for auto mechanics in high school and worked at a couple of Dodge dealers and an independent shop till I started working as a professional firefighter in 2000. Still worked part time at shop on my days off for years. 5 years ago moved to manage our fleet of equipment and now oversee almost 200 pieces of fire equipment and several people. Also responsible for the design and purchase of new apparatus.

Had a '74 Barracuda as my first car. Modified that into a '90's street machine with a 383, flow masters etc.. had a '73 Sport Satellite as a driver and then bought my Challenger in '93 as an somewhat unfinished ride. Been working with, cruising and enjoying that one since then.

Rdchallenger

I don't think I did this when I joined up so better late than never.

Real name is Jacob, live on the MD/WV line and only 10 mins from PA. Grew up loving NASCAR or basically any other type of fast car. Was raised to love Fords since my Dad is a diehard Ford guy haha. Ice hockey and baseball were my sports growing up.

Had cancer at the age of 13 that was inoperable, so Chemo and radiation to beat that which I still walk with a limp (gangster walk)

Ive been married (for a year), divorced, Work in corrections teaching inmates how to cook and work in an industrial sized kitchen so they will have a job skill when released. Have been doing that  since I was 20 I'm now 34 as of two weeks from now.

Currently dating a girl whose I've known basically my whole life. She has two kids who I adore and trying to be a great role model to the little boy and steer him towards old school Muscle cars ;-)

Poolshark314

I have never seen this thread before but it is a great idea @anlauto !

My name is Ed and I am 36. I live in Maryland and work in IT. I have loved classic muscle cars and specifically Barracudas since I first saw one in middle school. I have been married for almost 6 years and she is very understanding of all my hobbies! I work on cars, design websites, bass fish, shoot, 3D print, and play lacrosse in my spare time. Nobody else in my family ever had any interest in cars but my friend growing up did and that kept me in it!
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

Poolshark314

Quote from: anlauto on July 09, 2021, 04:37:36 AM
So you don't play pool ?  :haha: :haha: :haha:

Oh man I forgot about that one haha  :crazytalk:
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

Rdchallenger

Poolshark314

Quote from: Rdchallenger on July 09, 2021, 07:19:08 AM
Quote from: Poolshark314 on July 09, 2021, 06:04:21 AM

What part of Maryland?!

Montgomery County but I heard there is a show coming up at Cushwa I would be interested in if you were going
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

Rdchallenger

Quote from: Poolshark314 on July 09, 2021, 04:35:30 PM

What part of Maryland?!

Montgomery County but I heard there is a show coming up at Cushwa I would be interested in if you were going

You picture reminded me of Dee Creek Lake I thought you may have been closer to my area haha

Poolshark314

Quote from: Rdchallenger on July 09, 2021, 05:31:54 PM
Quote from: Poolshark314 on July 09, 2021, 04:35:30 PM

What part of Maryland?!

You picture reminded me of Dee Creek Lake I thought you may have been closer to my area haha

Haha not Deep Creek but I do go there
1973 Barracuda
2012 Charger R/T AWD

kmiller

I dont post much but i like this thread.

I live in Alaska working for the same airline for the past 23 years and I have always owned a Mopar. I am currently restoring a 70 Gran Coupe that i am hoping to complete it by next summer
just a few photos with some of my cars . the last photo I'm on the right  with my twin brother and Tom Kotter (barnhunter from Hagerty) in the middle, we meet him at Hershey two years ago.   great guy to talk to. very down to earth.

OriginalRick

John, it's been years...give me a call!  T/A Rick

anlauto

Wow...great to see this thread make it back to the top....you want to get a kick out of it, start reading from page 1 a lot has changed for some people....I can't believe how young my kids look in the picture I posted... :rubeyes:

70_440-6Cuda

@anlauto I did exactly what you suggested and read these from the beginning - very cool thread!  and ANAL Auto.... :haha: dying with that one

Chris, married 14 years this July (round 2), 3 kids: 20, 13 and 12 (boy, boy, girl).  Been in SoCal since 1990 although if I could I would crowbar my wife out of here for NC....  My dad was a 50s hot rodder in his youth - fat fendered cars all the way.  He bought an all original '40 Tudor Sedan in 1958 for $150 and promptly swapped the flathead for a 305 Chevy with 6 Stromberg deuces, had his friend Eddie paint over the Ford green with an Oldsmobile color called Hondouras Maroon.

My brother (6 years older) was really sick when he was around 13, and to take his mind off of his illness, my Dad pulled the old '40 out of the barn and they went about rebuilding it.  I followed them around an old warehouse where the car was worked on for hours on end.  When the new uncorked 350 Chevy was fired off for the first time that was it for me - bled gasoline from about 10 years old on.  My dad didn't think the '40 was a reliable enough, so he picked up a '69 340 4spd Formula S Barracuda for my brother as a daily driver.  It had mags on it, fat rear tires, a mean rake and did the best burn outs I had ever seen (what did I know but I thought it was COOL!).  He swapped that one out for a '69 440-6 Charger which I eventually inherited for a while - that car was awesome - Dukes of Hazard all the way.  My brother and I spent the next 10 years swapping cars, combing the Auto Trader and looking at possible new toys - Mopars, Chevy's Fords - it didn't matter.  Good fun that kept us out of trouble.

I had a small car audio shop for a while, turned that into a home audio business and then residential remodels (kitchen / bath /  home theater) met my current wife, had kids and decided I needed more stability in my income as I was not disciplined enough to put away for the slow months - too many toys to be had.  Started working in commercial construction and have spent the last 12 years managing massive construction projects (think LAX Airport).  Currently working for a global contractor and don't think I will change again or retire if I can help it.

I've had over 70 cars and motorcycles (excluding recreational vehicles) - from a 1982 Chevy Cavalier Sedan that I  traded a set of rims for (because why not) to an F250 Super Duty SEMA show truck that was my daily driver, '65 Mustang K Code Fastback which I miss - I appreciate them all.

Dad turned 80 this past December, married to my mom 59 years this year!  He spent his whole life working and providing for his family (his parents, my moms parents, 4 kids, grand kids).  Even though he still has a passion for cars, he is not motivated to really pursue anything at this stage of his life.  I turned 50 last December and I told my wife if not now, then when?  Midlife crisis in full swing!!  I didn't want to wake up 80 years old and say "I wish I would have" so I pulled the trigger on a '70 Cuda and it has been a blast - thank you to everyone here, having the time of my life and my 13 yo son has decided its MOPAR or No Car and a '70 'Cuda is the best one ever.  He is helping turn the wrenches and hunt down parts which has been a joy.  Taught him to drive a stick when he was 10 on my sister's 1967 Mini Cooper - hilarious watching him behind the wheel of that tiny car.

I "inherited" my Dad's '40 (still have the Wieand Dragstar intake and Stombergs, just need a Model A sedan to put it in)  I am hoping to get it finished and give it back to him one day.  Has original sheet metal, sits on a new TCI chassis w/ coil front suspension, disc brakes, 4 link rear with a narrowed 9".  I have a 354 HEMI with a 6-71 mechanically injected blower ready to go in with a Tremec 5 speed.  Need the sheet metal in the rear done and get the car painted before assembly - hopefully look like the one in the photo except with the vulcanized rubber running boards and not on bags.

I wanted a project that I could work on with my son that wasn't a complete basket case, so the 'Cuda fits the bill perfectly - running and driving, but needs some mechanical and cosmetic work to be really nice.  I am really grateful for all of the contacts I have made here - glad to participate and great thread.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....