Main Menu

MasonDaniel7 - Ban or Keep Poll

Started by Jay Bee, August 24, 2022, 06:21:39 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Should we continue to endure MasonDaniel7"s postings or finally ban the bot.

Ban
43 (50%)
Keep
19 (22.1%)
Don't care either way
24 (27.9%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Jay Bee

With all the talk about MasonDaniel7's intrusion OR service on our forum I thought a poll would be in order. Frankly I'm surprised one hasn't come up yet. If there's a suggestion for another option let me know but I think these three are enough.

Okay fellow members - let the voting begin.

Mr Cuda

:it's  a depends. 
Recently,  people started posting a picture of the car in the ad, and  details or fender tag info.
Then people can reference the car.
Historically,  it's a dead link to Ebay,  so worthless.
Ban unless it's posted with pictures and details.
And go back and delete all those that  don't.

anlauto

Can I get two votes ?
I'm the one sucker that voted to keep him, but I would also vote that "I don't care either way".

The way I see it....anyone that participates on our website is a good thing....we have so many great members and so few that actually come on and engage or join in on conversations on a regular basis.

I understand he's a bot, I understand some of the eBay ads get repeated over and over.....but at least 25% of his posts on here start conversations or spark controversies about particular cars or what not (oh don't buy that re-tagged car etc...).

I feel for our regular members who's legit ads get pushed back really quick, that's why I suggested a pin for Josh's M46 ad....I'm not sure how else to correct that, other than re-title the categories so Mason can have one all to himself and everybody else uses a new one  :thinking:

I don't personally have time to check eBay daily, so I kinda appreciate seeing the latest E-Bodies (and the odd A Body Barracuda) that are available on here and like what's been said time and time again....if you don't like it, don't open it....personally I only open the ones that have an interesting title...

I guess what I would like to see is more posts everyday from the other 3420 members that we have.  :grouphug: before banning one member for posting too much :lurking:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Mr Cuda

How do we get more members involved?

floorit426

I'll send him a PM to see how he feels about it! :haha:

cuda hunter

Perhaps, Mason's posts can just all be put in their own category. 
I do like looking at the cars that he posts simply because I don't have time to check ebay every day.  I look at every other thing on the web, but epay doesn't get my time.

I do agree with,
""I guess what I would like to see is more posts everyday from the other 3420 members that we have.  before banning one member for posting too much  ""

Is there a way to put every post he makes in the ebay/other ad section?  We know he is not going to post anything but cars for sale on ebay.  Can't he just be banned to the one forum thread section since for years we know he has only posted cars for sale on ebay?

"All riches begin as a state of mind and you have complete control of your mind"  -- B. Lee

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

dodj

Quote from: anlauto on August 24, 2022, 07:11:57 AM

I guess what I would like to see is more posts everyday from the other 3420 members that we have.  :grouphug: before banning one member for posting too much :lurking:
You think masondaniel is a member? As in a person? To me this is an enthusiasts forum. Not a place for a marketing bot.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

Cudajason

Can I get two votes ?
I'm the one sucker that voted to keep him, but I would also vote that "I don't care either way".

The way I see it....anyone that participates on our website is a good thing....we have so many great members and so few that actually come on and engage or join in on conversations on a regular basis.

I understand he's a bot, I understand some of the eBay ads get repeated over and over.....but at least 25% of his posts on here start conversations or spark controversies about particular cars or what not (oh don't buy that re-tagged car etc...).

I feel for our regular members who's legit ads get pushed back really quick, that's why I suggested a pin for Josh's M46 ad....I'm not sure how else to correct that, other than re-title the categories so Mason can have one all to himself and everybody else uses a new one  :thinking:

I don't personally have time to check eBay daily, so I kinda appreciate seeing the latest E-Bodies (and the odd A Body Barracuda) that are available on here and like what's been said time and time again....if you don't like it, don't open it....personally I only open the ones that have an interesting title...

Can you not ignore a member, so you do not see their posts?
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

anlauto

Does anybody understand or know how "bots" work ? Obviously whoever set this one up, placed it in the for sale section instead of the proper eBay section....and obviously, asking Mason to switch won't work, having Cody move every one is not practical.....if he's banned, or blocked, I'm sure a new one will join at some point.... :looney:

So why not re-title the two categories,  if Mason is a bot he will continue under the same section even though it has a different title, while everybody else can use the other section with a new title  :dunno:

I also notice "new" members joining only to use the ad section(s), which I have no problem with, although I think it's kinda tacky :rolleyes: I am glad the 10 post limit thing seems to be working on weeding out the scammers...

anlauto

Quote from: dodj on August 24, 2022, 08:03:17 AM

You think masondaniel is a member? As in a person? To me this is an enthusiasts forum. Not a place for a marketing bot.

Yes I understand it's not a person, but since he's only posting Barracuda and Challenger ads, and not posting general eBay ads for every type car...I really don't mind.....Can't robots be E-Body enthusiasts too ?   :haha: :haha:  now if you want to talk about the pop-up ads...that's a different story :pullinghair:

dodj

Quote from: anlauto on August 24, 2022, 08:20:24 AM
Quote from: dodj on August 24, 2022, 08:03:17 AM

Yes I understand it's not a person, but since he's only posting Barracuda and Challenger ads, and not posting general eBay ads for every type car...I really don't mind.....Can't robots be E-Body enthusiasts too ?   :haha: :haha:  now if you want to talk about the pop-up ads...that's a different story :pullinghair:
Well..it's still marketing. There are people marketing here called sponsors - they pay a certain amount to get you to use their product or service. I think if a bot is drumming up $$ for a business, they should pay the site. Other businesses do, don't think a bot should get a free pass.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill

anlauto

Valid point....does a "bot" get kickbacks from eBay ? :huh:

70_440-6Cuda

Personally I dont mind either way - it often sparks good conversation here.  I would agree having to move every post is not practical.  Retitle the categories seems like an easy fix.  Ebay seems like a good barometer of where prices are going as well as a good resource for project cars.  :alan2cents:
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy horsepower and that's kind of the same thing.....

70pumpkin

Is it possible to isolate Mason's posts into it's own separate forum?  Or add a filter to not display his posts?