Main Menu

Now I get: "I want to buy your car flyer" at the door

Started by Topcat, April 15, 2018, 08:06:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JH27N0B

I have mixed feelings when I read threads like this.  I almost never get bothered with want to sell it questions with my cars.  My garage is behind the house and I usually keep the doors closed.  But I have my cars out and about a lot during the season to cruises and shows and don't get that question.
My good friend Glen has a GA4 4 speed '71 Challenger convertible and we park together with my FK5 70 convertible at cruises often.  At least once a year we will be sitting there and someone will come up and ask him if it's for sale. I imagine he gets many more when I'm not around.  He also has a red 71 "hot rod" hardtop Challenger with a built 440 and Tremec, and last year a guy came up to him and offered him $75K for it.
My vert I've had maybe 2 or 3 ask in 21 years.  It's a show winner, even a few best of shows, but no one likes burnt orange I guess.  Its the last of my fleet I'd sell, and I really wouldn't want to sell it even for silly money as I'm financially secure and enjoy the car more than more money in the bank, so its just as well I don't get pestered.  :bigthumb:
And of course my 71 4 speed V code in autumn bronze, perfect original body, advertised for several years with only a few tire kickers calling.
No one wants burnt orange or brown cars, so if you want peace and quiet, buy one in that shade! :alan2cents:

RUNCHARGER

Yeah: Lots of these guys are car dealers, none of them want to pay a realistic price.
Sheldon

JH27N0B

I think more than a few of the guys watch a lot of TV and see themselves being the next "Count" or Richard Rowlands! 

Topcat

My parents bought mine in 72' gave it to me in 78'.

2 restorations it's gone thru.

First one wasn't very good. I got ripped off.

I have so many gallons of sweat built into this one.   :crying:

I built in the back yard in Hot days and an patio umbrella.

I just can't even think of entertaining an offer right now after what I went thru to get it where it's at now.

Eventually I will have to. But I hope that's still a ways off.

BIGSHCLUNK

I keep my garage closed up & alarmed 99% of the time. Altho I've had intrest over the years (I just give a quote of some astronomical number).  I worry more about theft/vandalism. The whole neighborhood knows what in there, as soon as I fire her up. I make it no secret that I carry........

IRON MAN

The day I brought my Challenger home, had to park it in the driveway that night. Four different neighbors driving by stopped in front of the house and got out of their cars, walked up my drive way to survey the car. Not cool. Lesson learned. I keep a car cover over it and parked inside the garage. I have an ordinary, all original, low mile 2000 Silverado black ext cab 4x4 that people leave notes on: "CALL me if you want to sell your truck." People have driven up my driveway when I'm in the garage and asked how much for another classic muscle car I owned. I tell them it is not for sale. They say, everything is for sale....HOW MUCH. I tell them what it is worth and they leave in a huff. A neighbor  couple blocks away in the last three months has asked six times or more when I'm selling my 68 AMX "Go PaK" to him. I said, what is so important about my car? He said it is a local car and has never had rust and has all the original sheet metal and paint. Apparently we are not entitled to privacy if we own classic muscle cars. When the garage door is open I make sure my 140 lb rottweiler is in clear view...nosy people keep driving. I also hung my firing range targets  on the garage wall. They get the message.

Dakota

I make a point of keeping my garage closed as much as possible.  That includes only part way opening the door if I need the ventilation while I'm working in there. I don't worry about my neighbors, but i do have concerns about construction crews, service people and other "drive by's" getting too curious.  I have lots of parts boxes stacked up near the garage door that would be at risk if curious eyes became sticky fingers. 

BIGSHCLUNK

Quote from: IRON MAN on April 17, 2018, 11:05:13 AM
The day I brought my Challenger home, had to park it in the driveway that night. Four different neighbors driving by stopped in front of the house and got out of their cars, walked up my drive way to survey the car. Not cool. Lesson learned. I keep a car cover over it and parked inside the garage. I have an ordinary, all original, low mile 2000 Silverado black ext cab 4x4 that people leave notes on: "CALL me if you want to sell your truck." People have driven up my driveway when I'm in the garage and asked how much for another classic muscle car I owned. I tell them it is not for sale. They say, everything is for sale....HOW MUCH. I tell them what it is worth and they leave in a huff. A neighbor  couple blocks away in the last three months has asked six times or more when I'm selling my 68 AMX "Go PaK" to him. I said, what is so important about my car? He said it is a local car and has never had rust and has all the original sheet metal and paint. Apparently we are not entitled to privacy if we own classic muscle cars. When the garage door is open I make sure my 140 lb rottweiler is in clear view...nosy people keep driving. I also hung my firing range targets  on the garage wall. They get the message.

A 100 lbs German Shepherd don't hurt either  :yes:

Topcat

[/quote]

A 100 lbs German Shepherd don't hurt either  :yes:
[/quote]

One time I walked down a street by somebody's garage, and they had a taxiderme'd German Shepard sitting looking out near the edge of the garage.

Hey there's an idea to keep these Lookie Lou's away.  :rofl:
Scared the Hee Bee Gee Bees outta me until I saw it wasn't moving.

CudaMoparRay

"One time I walked down a street by somebody's garage, and they had a taxiderme'd German Shepard sitting looking out near the edge of the garage.

Hey there's an idea to keep these Lookie Lou's away.  :rofl:
Scared the Hee Bee Gee Bees outta me until I saw it wasn't moving."

I have my taxiderme'd African Lion do the job  :haha:

1 Wild R/T

You'll have the anti hunting crowd protesting your driveway in no time.... And they'll call their environmentalist friends to protest your muscle cars.....

Timbbuc2

Get in, I'll drive

Gary

So glad we live out in the middle of nowhere.  Not over 5 vehicles a day go by.  School bus, mailman, UPS truck, and he is stopping,  and a couple neighbors. Peace and quiet.

superdave

Actually I forgot, I was that guy once. My brother and I saw a triple white Barracuda convertible at a car wash in Topeka kansas one time. We pulled in and talked to the genlmtleman for a while and expressed our interest in buying it should he ever want to part with it and gave him our contact info. He said he didn't plan to sell it. A couple of months later we heard that he did sell it.  :(' :dunno:  :crying:

Katfish

I don't mind people asking , just p*sses me off when they have no idea what the car even is.
Last week a college kid follows me to the golf course and jumps out of his brand new Camero ranting about he wants my car, how much?
I tell him him it's not for sell and he continues.
The private college is full of kids from the Middle East spending daddy's money and enjoying the US life style and this kid is obviously used to getting what he wants.
So I tell him, I'll sell it to you for $30k, he laughs and says no way it's worth that.
I just look at him and ask, what'd you pay for that Camero?
He didn't like that and jumped back in his car and sped off.