Main Menu

Now I get: "I want to buy your car flyer" at the door

Started by Topcat, April 15, 2018, 08:06:54 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Topcat

Quote from: anlauto on April 16, 2018, 08:53:20 AM
If I had a car I thought was worth $40K and I tell someone $80K to buy it and they jump at the chance.... :banana: :banana:

Sorry guys.....but it's only a car.....I can likely get a much better one for double the money..... :takemymoney: even a new Demon :burnout:

When you're dead.....your estate is just going to sell it any how :dunno:

When you've owned the car in the family since you were 12 years old, that would be unfathomable to do.

72bluNblu

Since at least one of my Mopars has also been my daily driver over all of the last 10 years they spend a decent amount of time outside- out driving around, at the gas station, parking lots, etc. I got more notes and things on my Challenger than I get on my Duster, which is kinda funny because the Duster is a much cleaner car. I actually think I got more notes on my Challenger because it looked a little rough after the clear coat failed, so maybe more people thought they could probably afford it. I definitely got some lowball offers!

Most of that stuff I don't mind, I've gotten a few notes that were practically letters, full on stories about how the person owned one back when and all about that car. Kinda cool.

The only ones I can't stand are the rich jerks that don't take "it's not for sale" as an answer. Like they can just buy whatever the crap they want because they've got money. Well, maybe I'm dumb but I don't care. If I say it's not for sale, it's not for sale. I didn't stutter, it doesn't mean I'm trying to drive up the price. It means I'm not selling my car to you. Maybe I think you're a douchebag, and your money doesn't deserve my car. Or maybe I just don't want to talk about it at the gas station. Either way, you're not driving off in my car no matter what you offer, so tough.

The other thing I think is funny is all the "you can't take it with you" comments. Well, you can't take your money with you either. Or anything else you'd buy with that money, it's ALL just stuff. So really that doesn't mean anything. I drive my old muscle cars for thr experience of doing it. That's not worth some amount of money to me, and what it is worth isn't really tied to the monetary value of the car. Yeah sure I will probably sell some of my cars, a couple of them sooner rather than later if I was smart because I have too many projects. And hopefully I won't ever have to sell any of them because I need the money.

With any luck I'll sell the last couple of them only when I can't physically drive them anymore, and at that point the money will probably just pay for my care home anyway.  :D

Chryco Psycho

Money is never the be all end all , as you say you cannot take any of it with you therefore my Chall is Not for sale .

HP_Cuda

If you have ever seen the movie Gran Torino - at the end the niece thinks she will get the car?

This is the kind of mentality that I hate, don't come onto my property and try to get aggressive with me and lowball me on what I have. Some folks try, all folks leave with their hat in their hand.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

YellowThumper

Yep! Had one slid under my garage door a week ago.

Funny part is they never ask about my finish restored 68 Mustang. LOL
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

blown motor

Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

ledphoot

Quote from: anlauto on April 16, 2018, 07:27:53 AM
You guys are nuts....if someone wants to "buy your car".....tell them a price that's double the value, remember you have the upper hand...they may laugh or they may bite.....SELL IT...... :alan2cents:

That's not always a great strategy... A friend of mine had a MINT '67 Shelby Cobra 427 Side Oiler, all original, low miles.. One day at a show a guy asked him what it'd take to sell it. At the time the car was worth $250K.. He said $450K and the guy said "I'll take it"... 15 years later that car is currently worth ~$2 million.

Another friend had ~$40K in an old Hot Rod, guy asked him how much, he said $150K and the guy said sold... He STILL regrets selling that car.

jordan

I have had people ask me "how much?".  I always respond with "make me an offer I can't refuse.  And don't offend me while you do it".  That usually shuts most people down.  I actually had a guy offer me about half of what it is worth.  I told him that he was clueless about the market and should keep his mouth shut about things he doesn't know about. 

I think if anyone asks me again, I will throw out a big $ number and see what happens.  What if they really had the money?  I could see myself driving another dream car.  Im sure I would regret selling my Cuda, but there are soooo many ultra cool cars that can make that feeling feel far away. 
"Don't brake until you see God!"

IRON MAN

Restorers will get a kick out of this comment.  My neighbor a few blocks over who has a 1970 Challenger 340, TKO, FiTech, etc has stopped by two more times to talk shop. He asked "when are you going to sell me your 68 AMX"? I made the mistake his 1st visit of telling him how much I'm in it, not knowing he wanted it. I said make me a generous offer. He said, I'll give you how much your in it seeing as how you are still above water. I said, its gone up in value the past few years and I've spent close to a hundred hours in it rebuilding the engine and replacing the brakes, rotors, fuel tank and pump, etc. He replied with, Oh you don't get paid for that, the hours or all the extra hard work.  :crazytalk:

JS29

Oh you don't get paid for that, the hours or all the extra hard work.  :crazytalk:
[/quote] Ya I've met that guy before! typical    :verymad: