Main Menu

Shocks recommendations

Started by tdwnilla1, June 29, 2019, 07:00:44 AM

Previous topic Next topic

tdwnilla1

Good morning everyone,

Does anyone have suggestions as to what shocks would be closest to stock and not make my 73 Cuda ride like a lumber wagon  ? I have heard plain old Monroe are best for these.

70 Challenger Lover

I just put new shocks on my 71 Barracuda. It had Monroe's on it when I bought it. The Monroe's were so bad that after taking on off and bouncing the car at each corner, you could not easily tell which corner had a shock and which didn't. Stay away from Monroe's in my opinion.

My car is a convertible and a cruiser and I want only ride comfort so I chose a set of Goodmarks off of Summit Racing. They are black and about $50 each instead of $100-200 like other high end shocks. When I ordered them, I told myself it was temporary until I finally broke down for more expensive shocks. Last night was the first time I got to drive the car with the Goodmarks and I am very happy with them. There is zero bounce like before and the ride quality is excellent. I'm sure they will be terrible for cornering but I have no intentions of ever driving this car in that way. All I wanted was to gently float over the rough roadways found throughout my county and they delivered on that very well.

RUNCHARGER

The Munroes look stock and may last 1 season. I've not had good luck with them performance wise.
Sheldon

gzig5

I put on the KYB's because they were really cheap from RockAuto and I just needed something basic.  The ride pretty hard, especially in the back.  Fronts not terrible but rears are like an air shock.

For a standard type shock I've heard good things about Bilstein.  Other than that it is the QA1 and Viking adjustables for best performance.

Fern

I have the QA1 single adjustable and they perform great.
Double adjustable if you need more, but the single  ones perform great.

70 Challenger Lover

OP didn't specify his intended use but since he mentioned the $20 Monroe's, I assumed he was looking for something in the lower price range. High end shocks can set a person back quite a bit.

Chryco Psycho

Basically you get what you pay for & hocks make a big difference
spend a bit more & get a Good shock once !
I would avoid KYB [too hard ] Monroe basic quality
& buy a Bilstein or QA1

tdwnilla1

Thank you. I heard that about the KYB shocks as well.

jbaha

I have KYB , good enough for me

750-h2

BIGSHCLUNK

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: jbaha on July 04, 2019, 05:38:06 AM
I have KYB , good enough for me

If you were to try something better like the Bilstiens you'd never want KYB's again...

70chall440

Had KYB on my Challenger and it rode like a lumber wagon, went to Bilsteins HUGE improvement.
Mopar or no car!!!

70 Challenger Lover

Drove my car all over today and it's smooth as silk on the freeways with the new Goodmarks. Car handles just fine through the canyon too but I wasn't racing it. I know everyone loves bilsteins but they are three times the price. I'll go high end when I build a high end car but I have zero complaints with the $50 shocks....so far at least. Might be singing a different tune if they only last a year.

71-440

I have KYB's on my ride. That was what was on there when I bought it. I don't like them. Hard ride in the rear.
When the funds come available I will try the Bilsteins. Only heard good things about them.
Joe