Main Menu

Show us your fabrications

Started by Brads70, August 21, 2017, 04:50:32 AM

Previous topic Next topic

YellowThumper

With 3 project cars, Challenger, 68 Mustang (wife's) and 64 Falcon Sprint (assembling for sale), space is non existent at best.
Of course this year California finally is having plenty of rain. So working outside has not been happening for weeks.
My solution for some workable space is to be able to roll a car sideways up against the wall. So I am making some rolling platforms.
Wheels are just cheap roller bearings mounted sideways.
Ramp lip is slightly off of ground when sitting flat on rollers. Plan to drive up them is to tuck them to the tire. This will slightly lift the platforms rear wheels off ground. They will then cantilever onto all 4 rollers when driving over the pivot point.
Not on yet but there will also be a forward bump stop on them. In my mind this will work nicely. Plus all is solid so car can sit on them for extended lengths of time.
With my single weekend day of no rain yesterday I was on a roll and was going to pound them out to finish. Except....... I ran out of argon!.  :pullinghair:
All plans came to a screeching halt.  :bricks:

12"x 18" x 3/16 stock. Sliced to allow it to bend and adjust to proper working level. Slice will then be welded up to regain strength to support properly.
1"Ø bar stock turned on ends to accept bearing threaded for bolt and washer to retain and a bunch of scrap angle stock for spacer legs.

Enjoy the "almost" finished roller plates.
Mike
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

70 Challenger Lover

Not innovative like some of the other cool stuff in this thread but I thought I'd share what I've been doing to frame rails. I know a lot of guys replace the entire rails when there is problems but oftentimes, it's just the last foot of rail where the bumper brackets attach and rot out. Patching a rail nicely is far easier and faster than putting in a whole new rail.

YellowThumper

Second item of the day (that also came to halt due to running out of argon) is a sheetmetal brake.
Made this a bunch of years ago and worked ok for what I needed then.  Just ok though.
Top U channel plate flexed too much and the vertical face always got in the way for compound bends.
First 2 pictures are from what I copied to make mine from.
Now with a stronger top and angled top plate.
2" x 3" heavy wall box and 1.5" flat stock welded on for wedge shape.

I am working towards making (and bending) my own fan shroud out of aluminum. So 'just ok" would not cut it. 
This will also need some more finished welding due to gas running out.  :bricks:

Tip of the day to locate hidden hole locations: Needed to transfer the bolt holes from existing bottom plate to the new top.
Placed washers in correct bottom location. Added a couple drops of super glue to top of washer. Carefully placed new piece on them in correct location. Let dry, pick up and flip over. Trace the washer ID and then pop of and drill.
Worked like a charm.

Mike

Mike.

YellowThumper

Quote from: YellowThumper on February 17, 2019, 08:58:03 PM
With 3 project cars, Challenger, 68 Mustang (wife's) and 64 Falcon Sprint (assembling for sale), space is non existent at best.
Of course this year California finally is having plenty of rain. So working outside has not been happening for weeks.
My solution for some workable space is to be able to roll a car sideways up against the wall. So I am making some rolling platforms.
Wheels are just cheap roller bearings mounted sideways.
Ramp lip is slightly off of ground when sitting flat on rollers. Plan to drive up them is to tuck them to the tire. This will slightly lift the platforms rear wheels off ground. They will then cantilever onto all 4 rollers when driving over the pivot point.
Not on yet but there will also be a forward bump stop on them. In my mind this will work nicely. Plus all is solid so car can sit on them for extended lengths of time.
With my single weekend day of no rain yesterday I was on a roll and was going to pound them out to finish. Except....... I ran out of argon!.  :pullinghair:
All plans came to a screeching halt.  :bricks:

12"x 18" x 3/16 stock. Sliced to allow it to bend and adjust to proper working level. Slice will then be welded up to regain strength to support properly.
1"Ø bar stock turned on ends to accept bearing threaded for bolt and washer to retain and a bunch of scrap angle stock for spacer legs.

Enjoy the "almost" finished roller plates.
Mike

As a follow up to previous post with roller plates. Here are the finished pieces. Will need to adjust the ramp as they would slide when trying to go up. Worked like a charm once on them. Rolled that sucker up to the wall. Now I have plenty of space for Challenger...
As we live in earthquake county,  note the cabinet latches. Not seen is the roller has a wedge block keeping it from moving closer.

Mike.

YellowThumper

Continued theme of not having space. I constantly am using my cars as work tables. I finally got tired and bothered enough to make a portable work table that has wheels for mobility and only has two uprights. Its frame is a big C shape. This allows it to roll under and over trunk when put away. I am modifying an existing table with these new legs. I also added foam to prevent banging bumper. Now I can work without having to spend 20 minutes unpacking everything and then repacking when done.
Last pic is gravity taking affect. I was taking it off my small table after welding. Top plate is 2' x 3' x 3/16. Heavy...
Used the previously cut off legs to slide onto. It didn't hold up well. I did manage to keep all my fingers and toes. So it was a good day.

Mike.