Main Menu

Wanna sell your car?

Started by 70Barracuda, October 17, 2018, 07:44:31 PM

Previous topic Next topic

ratroaster

Ever see the movie John Wick? I suggest you watch it if you like this thread........

Brads70

Quote from: ratroaster on October 19, 2018, 01:52:28 PM
Ever see the movie John Wick? I suggest you watch it if you like this thread........

8)  love those movies!  :bradsthumb:

70Barracuda

Funny thing is, after I told the guy 75K  I told my son I wouldn't sell it for that.  Im not a vacation in one spot guy.  Guess I am a, 'had this car over 35 years and couldn't put another one together for that money kind of guy.

Besides, wouldn't taxes be owed on the sale?
Sniper, 493/383, Firmfeel, RMS Streetlynx, Speedhut. Dana, 4 gear.

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: 70Barracuda on October 19, 2018, 06:31:38 PM

I've never paid taxes selling a vehicle, but always do when buying the next one. Texas runs sales tax off of the bill of sale amount when the car is over 25 years old.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Fastmark

Quote from: anlauto on October 19, 2018, 05:00:03 AM
Quote from: Fastmark on October 19, 2018, 04:27:15 AM
At a car show several years ago, I guy was looking at my AAR and asked if it was for sale and I said, no. I've had it for 40 plus years. He was nice but insisted that he would really like to buy it. I said it's just not for sale. Then he turned to my wife and told her, "call me when he dies"! She told him the kids would never sell it so that seamed to satisfy him. I found out later he was a wealthy oil man who could have wrote a check for any amount I said.

A 21 year old kid bought a house across the street from my shop and I noticed he had a different car or hot bike every couple of weeks. One day he showed up with a Hellcat Charger. He ran the crap out of it. I drove my AAR over to the shop for some work and he came running over in awe. He just had to have it. I turned him down then he offered to trade me the Hellcat he had just written a check for over $90,000. I found out he had just inherited 2,000,000 from an uncle.

The moral of the story for me is, I don't give a number away for that car. Someone might just call me on my bluff.

I never really had that "connection" with a car...if someone offered stupid money...I would take it and go buy a different car....It's like the people who vacation at the same spot every year....it's a BIG world out there, get out and enjoy as many different places as you can, except in this case....as many different cars as you can :stayinlane:

It's only a car some say. Well, it's only money to me. I can make more money. Can't say the same for this Cuda. My Dad bought this car for me in 1976. I brought my kids home from the hospital when they were born in this car. My Dad has been gone for 18 years. My kids both want it when I'm gone. I once sold a Superbird for top dollar at the time. It took months to sell it. I got $6000 for it! Wish I had that one back. Each to his own.

realn96

Living on Long Island , when I hear "is the car for sale' its usually a creep dealer . I always reply to anyone who asks " make me an offer I can't refuse" that always sends them walking!  :haha:

Chryco Psycho

Why do we work ? Does money give us great memories ?
No we work for a reward , the car is the reward & has numerous memories attached , sell the car & all you have is a pile of $$ so what !
I had a person call me & confirm what car I had & tell me he owned the car now all we had to do was agree on a price , I hung up on him !
He called back & tried again saying he had been searching for my car & really wanted it & offered me a blank cheque just give him the # to put in .
I told him I was kind of attached to the car myself & if he could not find my car with unlimited funds how would I ever replace it ?
He tried 1 more time but eventually bought an R/T SE with an auto not 4 spd that was caught between need to be restored but not worth restoring from a $ standpoint for over 80K .
I have zero regrets about keeping my Car !

JH27N0B

Quote from: 70Barracuda on October 19, 2018, 06:31:38 PM
You would owe capital gains taxes assuming you sold it for more than you have invested in it. No different than selling a stock at a profit.
I'm guessing most wouldn't bother, but since banks are required to report any transaction over $10,000, I'd be worried if I deposited say $75,000 in the bank and I didn't report that when I did my taxes. A friend of a friend sold a 71 hemi Charger he'd had for years for over $200,000, and insisted on cash.  You'd be surprised how hard it is to spend big amounts of cash "under the table".  He had the cash in a safe deposit box for years.  I'm sure many would snicker about they wouldn't mind having that problem, but when you think about the extent mob and drug dealer types go to launder cash, you'd realize you can't just run around spending piles of cash without worry of finding a couple guys in suits and with badges standing on your doorstep some night!
I'm always interested and a bit jealous when I read about all these people getting unsolicited offers for their cars.  I go to dozens of events in my convertible and 4 speed V code, in the case of the vert, 2 decades, and never get bothered with anything but trophies and plaques at award time! :notsure:

RUNCHARGER

Yes: Big offers from 1983 Hyundai drivers don't count. Also big offers of 50% of value from used car dealers don't count either.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: JH27N0B on October 20, 2018, 08:22:02 AM
I'm always interested and a bit jealous when I read about all these people getting unsolicited offers for their cars.  I go to dozens of events in my convertible and 4 speed V code, in the case of the vert, 2 decades, and never get bothered with anything but trophies and plaques at award time! :notsure:

Maybe if you start driving the T/A it'll draw them out?  As nice as they as your Vert & your V code are both orangy brown colors  :pokeeye:.... Idiots with lots of cash only see bright colors...

FWIW back in the 2006-2007 time frame I had a  guy offer way to much for my vert, first time it was just talk, second time he had a briefcase with him which he made a point of opening....  100K = a whole Lotta Benji's...... I still have my vert & he may or may not still have his briefcase... I don't know or care...

JH27N0B

Sadly, I know darn well no one wants brown or burnt orange cars, unless I was in the market of course. I'm sure if an autumn bronze 71 hemi Challenger was on the market I had eyes on, somebody with deeper pockets would want it more than me!
I will never sell my vert for any money, so it doesn't bother me I don't get unsolicited offers.  The '71 does need a new home so that bothers me.
Maybe the color snobbery will change some day.  When I started my current job, I was showing my millenial new coworkers pictures of my cars, and their reactions to my red T/A and vert were a resounding "mehhh", but when they looked at the '71, they all said they loved that one! They laughed at pictures I showed them of high impact colored Mopars thinking they were sort of obnoxious looking.
A local fairly big bucks collector who mainly has very rare 4 speed GM verts (and a factory 4 gear Chebby wagon!) has told me if I ever want to sell the T/A let him know, said that sight unseen from me telling him about it. He won't touch a car unless it's numbers.  If I get others asking I'll be telling them I value it near top of what I've ever seen a T/A go for at auction, and I expect the conversation to end there, but if not, I'm not sure what I'll do.

anlauto

I sold a beautiful 1971 Cuda convertible to buy a Superbird, sold the Superbird to buy a V code Charger, sold the V code Charger to buy a 71 Cuda....and on and on....
Do I miss any of them.....heck yea ! but I've enjoyed the experience of owning and driving each one of them.....

If I was a rich man, maybe I'd still own them all, but I doubt the day when I can afford multiple vehicles will ever come.. :crying:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Racer57

My response has always been... " I want double the street value because thats what its worth to me and you can't afford that."

Fastmark

Don't get me wrong, I buy and sell cars as well. You have to so you can fix or buy more! It's just this one is my keeper.

Mopsquad

I understand the 'its just car' quotes and that there are more out there.  For myself, I considered it a victory of sorts to hold on to my first car, a '65 Mustang fastback that I purchased in 1983.  Through 10 yrs of university, countless above value offers - some legit, and thousands of hours wrenching on it.

It's a 100K magazine car now but even if I was offered 50K above value (highly unlikely), that money disappears fast, really fast.  What remains is the regret and defeat of selling it.

cover" border="0