Main Menu

1972 Dodge challenger steering column lock out

Started by kirks 71, September 16, 2017, 07:17:52 PM

Previous topic Next topic

kirks 71

Hello all,  I could use some help with a floor shift steering column from a 1972 Dodge Challenger.  I recently disassembled the column and when I did so, the lock out spring that is approximately an inch long with a loop on one end and basically straight on the other end that keeps tension on the collar popped out and I didnt see where it came from exactly.  It appears one end was mounted to the column tube but it just seem to fit that way. Ive searched manuals and pictures for days and cant find anything.  Any pictures,  drawings or help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks,  Kirk

Cuda Cody

@Burdar  is the 72 column expert.  He might be able to help.

Do you have a photo of the part you don't know where it goes?  That might us see what you are talking about and get you some idea of where it goes.  And Welcome to the site @kirks 71    :welcome:

kirks 71

Cuda Cody

Once we can see it I'm sure we can help you figure out where it goes.   :yes:

kirks 71

I watched your 1970 column videos but the 1971 and up is a little different,  it doesnt have the lockout tube hooked to the shift linkage like the 1970 does

kirks 71

Cody I tried to add pictures and i dont know what Im doing,  I accidently sent a picture of the column lockout spring to the gallery and i dont know how to delete it.  Sorry

Burdar

I checked my pictures but it doesn't look like I took any of the column disassembled.  I remember the spring but I'd need to see a picture of the area in order to see where it goes.

Quotea loop on one end and basically straight on the other end

The spring doesn't look broken does it?  I wonder if it should have an eyelet on both ends.  I don't remember.  Post a pic of the spring too please.

kirks 71

pics of the spring and collar pieces

Cuda Cody

Here's the photos you posted in the gallery...

Cuda Cody

It's been a bit of time since I've done a 71+ column.  I will look through my photos.  :thinking:

kirks 71

kirks 71

Cuda Cody

Man, I was not able to find a photo of the spring.  And I can not seem to remember where it goes.  I looked in the part manual and do not see it in the 1973 exploded view so that didn't help either.   :huh:

kirks 71

unfortunately the column shift steering columns dont have them,  only the floor shifts.

anlauto

Really hard to explain.
Set the first collar on the tube where it's suppose to go.
Now look straight down into the collar, you'll see a peg that is roughly the same size as the loop in the spring.
If you lay the spring on with the straight end pointing towards the right, press it against the tube and you'll see roughly where it goes.
Then if you look at the tube you'll see a tiny hole at the end of the spring.

Now remove the spring from the peg.

Insert the straight end of the spring in the tiny hole and pull the spring until you can put the loop back on the peg.
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration