Main Menu

Custom Trunk Interior Installation

Started by Mickm, July 18, 2017, 09:17:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mickm

Burdar, that is a good point.  I am coating the wood with two coats of resin just in case an moisture is introduced into the trunk.
I am in hopes I can get the trunk completely sealed off so as not to allow any moisture in, but I'm not 100% sure that is possible.

Thanks for the interest guys.

Cheers!
Mickm

Fern

If your worried about moisture, you can make the box out of pvc material.

Mickm

That's a good idea fern. I am not worried about moisture at all.  I  am giving thought to using what i have to this point as a pattern and laying three layers of glass cloth over everything then cover it with oem trunk material to get a finished product much along the same lines as a new car has.  I am not wanting a high zoom creation.

As I stated early on, I'm learning as I go lol.

Cheers!

Mike

Burdar

It depends on what part of the country you're in. If you have large temperature swings from winter to summer, you're going to have moisture to deal with. I've read people say that their rubber trunk mats have water under them in the spring.

Coating the panels is a good idea I think. Paint them at least. I think it's good that you insulated the trunk floor. I don't think water will get under the Dynamat material.

RUNCHARGER

Yes: Condensation can be an issue. In one area I lived I left the trunklid open on my Challenger with the rubber mat folded over in two corners as well to let it breathe. I think resin over the wood will work fine.
Sheldon

Burdar

Spikedog08

Here is a couple pictures of my setup in the convertible!   :banana:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Burdar

QuoteHere is a couple pictures of my setup in the convertible!

Purple one 4Showin...
Black one 4Cruizn...

Mickm

Burdar, nothing much new  to show right now. I have been at the Streetrod Nationals in Louisville since Wed.

Just getting home and about to go out in the shop and lay up some more glass. I'll post something soon.

Thanks for the inquiry,

Cheers!
Mickm

Burdar

Last night I spent a long time looking at upholstering videos on YouTube. I don't know what you're planning for outer material but there are some really cool videos to take a look at. I watched one on tuck and roll, visible stitching and custom door panel design. They might be helpful.

Mickm

Spikedog08, I like what you done there.

Well here is where I am now. I had to cut out and reglass the passenger side front as the radius of the corner somehow came out different from the driver side.

I cut out two of these side plate from some a piece of harwood I had. This  will be the achor place for the center section. It secures the side plates into the front using 3/4" dry wall screws, which are hidden by the center panel.

This shot shows the offset piece of ply that serves to keep the center plate located front to back.  The center plate will attach to the sides using pins at the bottom and magnets at the top. Although I don't have them in place yet. I plan to use a small "L" shaped bracket that will be attached to the side hardwood piece and be adjustable.

Here the side are attached and I have stated putting a bondo skim coat coat over the panels to get them smooth.

And here the front/center panel is in place. You can see I make small spaces to space the trim ring out. I have more planned for this piece but that will come last.

I added these two license plane lights to the top of the center panel but they do not emit adequate light so I decided I will put a single (larger) light under the lid when I get to that point.

I added a lighted toggle switch in the corner. I don't think I will use a push switch at this point.  But that could change as I go forward.

Burdar, I have watched all the youtube video's I could find on panel making. I am wanted to stay with my semi-orig-mod theme. I want it to look somewhat oem but with an updated injection. I am torn between using an oem felt type fabric or a leather bug am leaning toward the oem felt fabric. I'm thinking of making all the panel smooth and just adhering the material directly to them and not using any thin hard cell foam.

Cheers!
Mickm

All input is appreciated.

Burdar

I'm kind of thinking the same thing...keep it factory themed with materials.  I'm planning on carpeting the trunk floor with the factory style carpet.  Then I'll use black and pearl white vinyl for all four sides.  I'm going to talk with Legendary and see if they will sell a yard or two of their pearl vinyl. If not, I'll have to spray regular white vinyl with Herb's pearl interior paint.

Mickm

Nice turn of events today.  I went by a friend who has a Streetrod business nearby and he hooked me up with 1/4" dense foam, black ultra-leather, and carpet.
Bit of a different path than I orginally planned but I couldn't say no.

Cheers!
Mickm

Mickm

Well, today was my birthday and my wife was out of town at a golf tournament so I spent the entire day in the shop working on the Tinfish trunk interior.

Here is a shot of the pass side dressed in 1/4" dense foam.....bring on the leather.

And here is the same panel with leather attached.

Here is the back wall. I decided to add a couple layer features on the top.

Here is a shot of all three panels in place.

It's difficult to see what is going on well due to the black color. I will make the floor and install it next.

That's all for now......stayed tuned.

Cheers!
Mickm

Burdar

Great job. It looks amazing! I assume you wrapped the leather around the edges and stapled it on the back side?