Main Menu

Custom Trunk Interior Installation

Started by Mickm, July 18, 2017, 09:17:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Mickm

Thanks Burdar, I am pleased to this point.
I did apply glue to the edges and a 2 inched area on the back so I could  wrap it around.  Couldn't staple into the fiberglass.

I will make the floor today which should go pretty easy.

I still dont know what i want to do with the circle around the speaker. I plan to make some form of logo model that will be black and silver.  Stay tuned.

Cheers!
Mickm

Burdar

OK, I thought the back of your panels was just thin plywood material.(lauan)

My mother-in-law and my wife's aunt both have really expensive sewing machines.  You can design a logo in a computer program and load it into the sewing machine.  The machine then does all the work for you.  That might be an option for the center panel.  Maybe a screen printing type place would be able to do that?

Spikedog08

That looks awesome!   

Quote from: Burdar on August 04, 2017, 09:17:24 AM
QuoteHere is a couple pictures of my setup in the convertible!

Purple one 4Showin...
Black one 4Cruizn...

Yes but now the purple one is 7DCUDA . . . I got tired of 4showin. . .  I really wanted 4PLAY
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Mickm

Update on the TINFISH trunk interior. I am finished with the bottom for the time being.
here is where I am now...

Well, here is the finished product. I decided to add some color and cover the trim ring in a redish ultra leather (no, it's not pink, it just looks like it in the photo). I am not 100% sure I'll keep it like this but will for the immediate future. If after a while I decide I want something different, I will recover it in black.

The carpet is down and all else is in place. Only thing left to do is the deck lid and I think I will take a break and come back to that next winter.
I cut out the original trim ring on the side and added some speaker grill material for amp ventilation.

I am pretty pleased with the results to this point, especially for the price. Total cost for this DIY job is less than $100.

All opinions are welcomed and appreciated.

Cheers!
Mickm

303 Mopar

WOW!  That really looks amazing!  Maybe I need to fly you up here and have you finish mine..... :thinking:

shawge

Looks amazing!  I gotta ask: How does it sound?
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

Mickm

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Dan, you have any  frequent flyer miles?   :D

Shawge, "How does it sound"? Do you mean does it rattle when I drive? To be honest I just finished today and have not driven it but all the panel are snug and  secured. I hit my fist on all panel and there was no sound so I am not expecting anything when I do drive it.

I left one detail out. The floor was made from two pieces of 1/2" birch plywood. Sealed in case of moisture with carpet glued on and stapled on the back side.
A small strap was made and located on the passenger side so the floor can be lifted and removed.

The floor secures the front fascia in place at the bottom. The top is held in place by two magnets glued to the back of the fascia and an adjustable "L" bracket screwed into the side braces.

The trim panel is secured to the front fascia with 10 socket head screws that align with and match the screws in the trim ring on the sub woofer.

Cheers!
Mickm

Rev-It-Up

Your trunk turned out fantastic! I was considering doing something like this for the Duster, but man, that trunk is huge! Great job!  :clapping:
Rev-It-Up

Cuda Cody

Fantastic job man.   :clapping:  Very nicely done.   :woohoo:

Burdar

That turned out great!  The red around the sub looks good.  Black would look good too.  You could even use a silver vinyl/leather to match the center of the sub.  You could recover it or just use some vinyl paint/die to color the red you already have.

Mickm

All good points. I am now thinking about using the perforated  black material used inside the stock seats.
That would tie the trunk interior into the interior of the car.

Cheers!
Mickm

Fern

That looks great and the venting around the speaker was a good idea.
Terific job,  we'll done!!

cudaragtop

- Randy D. 1970 'Cuda 340 4-Speed Convertible
69 Barracuda G3 Hemi/8HP70 Resto-Mod Project Album: https://goo.gl/photos/XjsAsx4LDo7psimU8

shawge

Haha, no not the rattles - everything looks solid :)  How does the stereo sound with that subwoofer enclosed? Must be a lot of kick.
1970 Challenger, 451 MS3Pro EFI
Colored wiring diagrams
Wheel spreadsheet

Mickm

Shawge,
I drove it yesterday and today and it is very solid. It helps insulate the cabin and you are right, the stereo is awesome. Noticeable amount of kick from before.  I'm loving it!

Cheers!
Mickm