Main Menu

Console lid fit and finish...what the heck?

Started by kawahonda, July 13, 2018, 08:45:03 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Jay Bee

Nope, those are the front belts. Lots of of people don't bother putting them there because it could be a pain to always reach back.

kawahonda

Yea, i could see that. Awkward. It's easier just to lay the belt across the passengers seat!

Perhaps it has some utility with a passenger.

But yea.

Seems like someone could have made a molded rubber "pocket" that could fit in there by now...would be a nice place to place some things.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

70 Challenger Lover

@kawahonda , thought I'd post on your old thread since you said you're still having trouble with the lid fitting.

So on the burnt orange console I just restored, afterward, I noticed the lid fit horribly. After reading this post, I decided a 1971 hinge would help plus it seemed the lid might be warped. In checking the lid, it was warped bad. So, bad, I'm going to replace it. The plastic lugs inside were broken and epoxy glue wasn't working so probably best to replace anyway.

I have a 1971 blue console in storage so I pulled it out and tried the lid and hinge. Fit perfect. The 1971 hinge is shorter, fits nicer, and has less tension.

So I'll be looking for a 1971 or later hinge along with a new unwarped lid.

kawahonda

FWIW, A brand new lid from Tony's didn't fit any better. The OE had better build quality as well....
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

70 Challenger Lover

That's worth a lot! I was close to buying one. The original style of lid and hinge fit perfect if there is no warpage. I just need to find a nice original unwarped lid. I don't see new hinges but I'm sure someone makes them.

JS29

The lid i perch-est from @TONY  fit well. I did how ever had to make a mall bracket to install the button.  :alan2cents: