Main Menu

How comfortable are the stock seats?

Started by Swamp Donkey, September 27, 2020, 04:38:09 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Swamp Donkey

Just kind of curious as to how comfortable people find the stock original seat.  After a long day of driving your Cuda or Challenger, are you ready to go out dancing  :banana: or hobble into your house and flop on the couch.  I really do plan on putting quite a few miles on my car.  I'm just a hair under 6 feet tall if that matters. 
1973 Cuda. 340 4 speed.

Floyd

I just finished a multi-thousand mile trip in a 70 Challenger with really nicely restored stock seats.  Averaged about eight hours a day for a week.  No problems really.  We actually had a conversation about how it may be better to sit on seats with lots of wiggle room as opposed to modern seats that hold you in more restrictive positions.  I will say there was plenty of moisture on your back and butt with those vinyl seats in those hot desert situations.

https://forum.e-bodies.org/cuda-and-challenger-general-discussion-roseville-moparts/2/vanishing-point-50th-anniversary-run/18220/

I'm 5'11" BTW

Chryco Psycho

I drove 42 hrs straight across Canaduh in mine & no issue , they are comfortable but I was younger when I did that , you can add a bit more padding & support along the edges under the stock covers as well . 
Hyundai Tiberon seats are a great upgrade if you want to change the seats .
On long drive being forced to sit in one position like a race seat can be uncomfortable .
I am just over 6' tall but 160 lbs

GoodysGotaCuda

I'm 33 and find the seats to not be very comfortable at all. My other problem is no form of an arm rest unless the window is down and you can hang your arm on it.

Comes with the territory, however.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Topcat

I would say that a 2 or 3 hour limit, is about the max.

We are all different in size, weight, and lower back. Which is often a factor.

Racer57

I have a 2015 Vette and my 70 Cuda seats are way more comfortable.

tparker

How comfortable do you want them? Mine wrap around me, caress me, massage my back, and whisper sweat nothings into my ear. LOL. I don't ever recall having an issue with mine. I think the furthest I drove it was from Marin county to San Francisco, well, I attempted to then it broke down part way there. LOL. But seriously, Never bothered me, never had an issue, at 19-21. Being 50 now, who knows. LOL

JS29

I went cross country in my 70 challenger R/T, no problem. My 70 Gran Coupe seams even more comfortable.  :yes:

Jay Bee

Quote from: Topcat on September 27, 2020, 06:48:38 PM
I would say that a 2 or 3 hour limit, is about the max.

We are all different in size, weight, and lower back. Which is often a factor.

I couldn't agree with this more plus add "age" to the mix. At 64 my parts are wearing out and after a 3 hour cruise I have a bit of a struggle getting out of the car and it does take a few moments to get moving normally.

RUNCHARGER

For me they're decent for a 3 or 4 hour drive without a break and another similar stint after that. I guess it's a personal thing. New seat foam is a must when redoing the seats if you want any comfort.
Sheldon

IRON MAN

Longest trip was to Orange County and back to SF Bay Area(820 miles r/t) in my 70 Roadrunner convertible with 383, 4-spd, bucket seats, console, etc. No issues. :banana: Had the top down the whole time. The seat was restored/reupholstered and drove non-stop each way. Didn't want to sit down for a while after getting there. LOL

jlemler

I'm 6-1 weigh 280, not comfortable.  My father 5-6 weights 130 his challenger is great for him.  I do still like driving my 70 Cuda; however, I have to stop on long drives to stretch.

ToxicWolf

I put new foam and leather covers in my 1970 Challenger and they are great. The leather is more comfortable than the vinyl was. Cooler and breaths much better.

Mixup7071

I did the Hot Rod power tour drove 3000 miles in one week I was 40 I thought it was pretty comfortable I did roll up a small towel and put it between back and seat for lumbar support

dodj

To me they are comfortable enough, little lacking in the lumbar, BUT they offer no support for 'spirited' driving. Go around a corner with any speed and you have to hold yourself in the seat by having a firm grip on the wheel.
With the GS-1 Sportsman seats I put in, the seats holds you in place, and makes the driving more fun.
"There is nothing your government can give you that it hasn't already taken from you in the first place" -Winston Churchill