Main Menu

Hyundai Tiberon seats

Started by JunkYardFind, July 07, 2021, 11:58:37 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JunkYardFind

Finally got the pass seat done  :banana:
Not the easiest mod but WELL worth it! I will have a pretty detailed video on how to do this once I get the other seat in. Hopefully a week at most.

www.JunkYardFind.com What's In YOUR Garage ?

Brads70

Looks good! They are comfortable and light. Been in my Challenger for years and also just put a pair into my Javelin project.

70vert

That looks great, looking forward to seeing the driver side and videos. I really want better seats in mine, this may be the way to go.

JH27N0B

For a resto mod, those do look like a great choice.  I've seen pictures of E bodies before that had late model car seats retrofitted into them, and they always looked way too big for the interior.  Those Hyundai seats are not too big, but not too small either!
Are you planning to do anything with the back seat so the front and back seats don't look so dissimilar?  I wonder if stock covers from Legendary for E bodies with the cloth inserts would look close, like if they'd custom make by using black vinyl with a solid dark gray cloth insert so it looked somewhat similar to the front seats.

70vert

Or maybe get the fronts upholstered to look more like the back/stock.

BTW - what year Tiburon? Don't think they made if for very long so possibly all the same.

Purepony

I'm debating on buying a sad the problem is already put the new carpet in the other seating but those look good

Brads70

Quote from: 70vert on July 08, 2021, 08:27:24 AM
Or maybe get the fronts upholstered to look more like the back/stock.

BTW - what year Tiburon? Don't think they made if for very long so possibly all the same.

2001-2008 , problem is finding nice clean , not worn out ones . I'm planning on having mine redone
( in both cars) when time/money allows as there is some wear, drivers side outer bolster.  I like that they fold right back down as well. Time flies.... they have been in my Challenger since Sept 2013

JunkYardFind

@Brads70
I can confirm finding a clean set is the tough part! Took me about 6 months and maybe a dozen junkyard trips (different junkyards) to find a decent set. The pass side in the pic is nearly flawless...don't think the original owner had girlfriend or anyone else to drive around  :lookatthat:
The Driver's has a bit more wear as they all do but not too bad. The wear is on the bolster and I think I can get some leather dye and blend in the color. Gotta get them in first. These are from a 2007. Unfortunately they have the SRS airbag set-up that makes them weigh more than the ones without airbags...I am guessing anyway. Not too bad though, just cut/removed all the wires. The junkyard (LKQ pick your part) here in SoCal charged me about $20 more per seat because of it. Got the set for about $120

@JH27N0B
I have no plans on matching the rear seats. There are Tiburon seats that are all leather, I just like the leather cloth combo better. To tell ya the truth, I haven't had anyone sit in the rear seats in years! Kinda want to yank them out and put a toolbox or something useful back there. Maybe a big screen TV? a hot tub? something.....need some more ideas  :)

Brads70

@JunkYardFind.com   I'm sure you will enjoy them! Glad to see you found a nice set.  :bradsthumb:
When I started working on my chassis in a quest for better handling  the first thing that showed up for me was the stock seats. They were horrible in that regard . That and when I did the 7 1/2 hour drive to Carlisle and felt like I could have used the services of a chiropractor when I arrived. I'm 6'1" so I found my legs had to be at about a 45 deg angle  and used the edges of my foot to work the pedals. Not so noticeable around town but after a long drive it's horrible. So when mounting my seats I also moved them back. So much better to drive now, I'd suggest you consider moving yours back too. Moving them back also created much more room for the passenger as well. Also nice on a long trip.
I hear ya on the back seat, its been at least 10 years since anyone has sat back there?  Not a modification for a show car I get that but for people that drive them any distances this is a much welcome modification. I didn't drill any holes in the floor, used all the stock mounting holes so  after I'm dead  and the next owner wants to return it to stock its a 1/2 hour job to bolt in the stock seats.
Jason also used these seats and really likes them too. @Cudajason
Here is a link to my original post over on CC.com shows pictures of the mounts I made if that helps you in your design?
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=95100.0

Brads70

Here is a link to Jason's post on his installation if it helps you some?
https://forum.e-bodies.org/interior/6/my-seat-project/2457/

Cuda70-74

Nice im going to use these seats. Thanks for sharing
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger

BIGSHCLUNK

Just like Brad's - they look good and the are proportionate to the car.  I have not come across any worth pulling around here, but I'd do it if I found some  :wrenching:   

gzig5

Quote from: BIGSHCLUNK on July 09, 2021, 06:28:04 AM
Just like Brad's - they look good and the are proportionate to the car.  I have not come across any worth pulling around here, but I'd do it if I found some  :wrenching:   
There are/were several Tiburons in the pick and pull up in Fredonia last fall. I was going to go back for the leather seats in one car but never made it. They may still be there. I got lucky and found a pretty nice set in Kenosha this spring. A guy had them for his 69 Camaro but he ended going with Recaro. $150 and I didn't have to get my tools out.  :banana:

JunkYardFind

FINALLY got the seats in! I really like the Tiburon Seats, they give WAY more support, recline, lumbar adjust and are just cooler than the originals! A BIG thank you to @Brads70 and @Cudajason for the pics they have in the other links above. The pics were a big help in getting me started on this project!

Check out our JunkYardTV youtube video here for the details of the modification...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiKhNsnu9GQ

70vert

that looks really good and very informative video. I'd love to put them in my Challenger. Mine is a convertible so no shoulder belt, I assume if I get them recovered they can just cover up the "hole", any thoughts?