Main Menu

Ignition key will not come out of ignition switch

Started by IRON MAN, July 26, 2018, 03:00:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

JS29

Do you have A spare key? If so, I would try it. maybe the teeth got A little damage!  :alan2cents:

Katfish

I feel for you, a couple of years ago the guys that were doing my alignment jammed the key in upside down and couldn't get it out.
Manager told me "don't worry, we'll break it off and get a locksmith to fix it", I said you got to be kidding me and told them to go away and let me try.

I was lucky, after wiggling it for 10 minutes it came out with no damage.

Cudajason

Quote from: IRON MAN on July 27, 2018, 12:29:11 PM
I got the key to come out on the 4th try using the paper clip technique. Inserted a straightened out small paperclip at the bottom of the key and the key pulled out rather easily. Then, inserted the key right side up and now the key will not rotate and unlock the steering wheel, and the key will not turn to start the car. UGH! So the column locking lever when pressed down does nothing. Tried to start car in Park and Neutral  the key will not turn the ignition switch. So maybe the collar lever was defective all along.

On the bright side...it is not THAT difficult to replace the ignition switch.

years ago, I put the key in and it just wouldn't turn things...I was out with my young daughter.  Had to get the car towed home. 

Cody has a great video or PDF doc that will walk you through taking it apart and putting it all back together.  Took me an afternoon.  A pain in the but yes, but fixable.

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

IRON MAN

No spare key for trunk or ignition. The keys are cheap aluminum keys. I need to learn how to swap out the ignition switch and put in a new one. Who sells the best quality ignition switch. The keys have been hard to use since the day I bought it. Today, tried to open the trunk. Key will not turn inside the trunk lock. I recently replaced the weather stripping and installed a duct tail spoiler. I recently had to slam the trunk shut because of the new weather stripping....must have knocked something loose slamming the lid down. DOUBLE WAMMY this week.

734406PK

Quote from: IRON MAN on July 27, 2018, 03:21:58 PM
No spare key for trunk or ignition. The keys are cheap aluminum keys. I need to learn how to swap out the ignition switch and put in a new one. Who sells the best quality ignition switch. The keys have been hard to use since the day I bought it. Today, tried to open the trunk. Key will not turn inside the trunk lock. I recently replaced the weather stripping and installed a duct tail spoiler. I recently had to slam the trunk shut because of the new weather stripping....must have knocked something loose slamming the lid down. DOUBLE WAMMY this week.

Aluminum keys? I think mine are brass by looking at them. I have no issues with the ignition, doors or trunk. Could aluminum keys be a problem?

Cudajason

Everything you need to know is right here.

https://www.e-bodies.org/videos/

If you dont like videos, there is a good PDF version abailabel too!

Jason
1974 Cuda. 360 / A500 OD.  Yes its pink, no its not my wife's car!  Yes I drive it.

IRON MAN

Cudajason, Thanks for the link to the steering column video. CudaCody does a great job explaining without skipping stuff. To remove the ignition switch takes a lot of disassembly. Spent am coffee break watching Part 1 (ID) and Part 2 (disassembly). May need to get a screen mounted on the wall above the vice to do a follow along if the ignition switch needs removing. Thanks again

Brads70

Quote from: IRON MAN on July 28, 2018, 12:34:00 PM
Cudajason, Thanks for the link to the steering column video. CudaCody does a great job explaining without skipping stuff. To remove the ignition switch takes a lot of disassembly. Spent am coffee break watching Part 1 (ID) and Part 2 (disassembly). May need to get a screen mounted on the wall above the vice to do a follow along if the ignition switch needs removing. Thanks again

I might be wrong but for you, worst case scenario is you might need to replace the lock cylinder not the ign switch?  I'd bet a good locksmith could make you a set of keys with out replacing the cylinder? Worst case scenario is to remove a door lock, and bring it to a lock smith with your old keys and ask to get a key made, then try it in your ign?    I got all mine ( tumbler, and all door/trunk locks ) from my local jobber .  Then brought it all to a locksmith and said to make the ign, doors use the same key. Didn't cost much?  Standard Motor Products
http://ecatalog.smpcorp.com/STD/#/vehicles/parts/num/DL-125?type=s

Cudajason

Quote from: IRON MAN on July 28, 2018, 12:34:00 PM

No problem man, happy to help.

If you want a step by step document on the dissasambly, instead of the video, there is one available. It also stars Cody!!!

Jason

IRON MAN

Quote from: Brads70 bove the vice to do a follow along if the ignition switch needs removing. Thanks again
/quote]

I might be wrong but for you, worst case scenario is you might need to replace the lock cylinder not the ign switch?

Brad, took your suggestion seriously. Last night, on eBay a seller has five NOS Ignition switch w/ Penstar keys Dodge Challenger 72  73 74. New in MOPAR package for columns without tilt steering. $36.99. If anyone else is in my dilemma  seller "thomas-j-sestak-autoparts has four (4) left. His eBay score for 55,791 sales is a perfect 100 rating. Hopefully I won't need it but it is worth the peace of mind if I ever do.

RUNCHARGER

They wear out anyway. Order it, put it in and be happy. They aren't that bad to change. Just get your door locks matched up as well.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: IRON MAN on July 29, 2018, 10:18:50 AM
Quote from: Brads70 bove the vice to do a follow along if the ignition switch needs removing. Thanks again
/quote]

I might be wrong but for you, worst case scenario is you might need to replace the lock cylinder not the ign switch?

Brad, took your suggestion seriously. Last night, on eBay a seller has five NOS Ignition switch w/ Penstar keys Dodge Challenger 72  73 74. New in MOPAR package for columns without tilt steering. $36.99. If anyone else is in my dilemma  seller "thomas-j-sestak-autoparts has four (4) left. His eBay score for 55,791 sales is a perfect 100 rating. Hopefully I won't need it but it is worth the peace of mind if I ever do.

These will fit a 70-71 as well however the key bezel is industrial chrome which is shinier than the correct 70-71 finish which is silver argent....

IRON MAN

These will fit a 70-71 as well however the key bezel is industrial chrome which is shinier than the correct 70-71 finish which is silver argent....
[/quote]

1 Wild R/T, nothing 400 grit can't fix. Correct me if I'm wrong, these keys are probably brass under the industrial chrome. The seller is fast, got a pm from him in less than 12 hrs, stating the cylinder and keys have been shipped.

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: IRON MAN on July 29, 2018, 11:29:23 AM

1 Wild R/T, nothing 400 grit can't fix. Correct me if I'm wrong, these keys are probably brass under the industrial chrome. The seller is fast, got a pm from him in less than 12 hrs, stating the cylinder and keys have been shipped.
[/quote]

Keys are probably brass.... But it's not the keys that was argent... It's the bezel.... And yes tat to is an easy fix....

Topcat