Main Menu

Ignition key will not come out of ignition switch

Started by IRON MAN, July 26, 2018, 03:00:47 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Rockboyz

Well, all these years without a key issue...until today. Key broke inside the cylinder. I cant believe it! I found this thread in a search, ordered a new cylinder from Thomas-j-sestak on ebay.  I was trying to watch the videos but they come up with no picture. Would someone kindly send me a link to either a good video copy or a pdf. Also, I have never done this before, any tips or secrets to it? can it be done with out a steering wheel puller? Many thanks guys!

Cuda Cody

@Rockboyz  you might have pop ups blocked and that's why the videos might not work.  You can see the videos here too:

https://www.youtube.com/cudacody

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

IRON MAN

Rockboys, The NOS ignition cylinder from Thomas on eBay arrived in 6 days. In came in the original packaging but it had been opened. So I checked to make sure the ignition switch/cylinder was indeed NOS. EP0100 is stamped on the housing. The label on the Mopar package shows part # 2920010041907. The Mopar label ignition housing part # contains the sequence 0100. Does this sequence verify it is NOS? Hmmm. There is another number stamped on the housing 18594 and another RH2. The keys have a tiny letter "A" beneath the Pentastar. I'd be interested in knowing the alpha numeric numbers on the ignition switch you get from Thomas. I've been rebuilding my 68 AMX front suspension and have not made the time to install the new NOS ignition cylinder. I did watch the above video on disassembly and every minute was worth watching.

Rockboyz

Rockboyz

So after taking everything apart, ordering a new key and tumbler, I come to fine out my column is either a 70 or a 71. not a 72. Someone must have changed it before I bought the car back in the day. Needless to say, the switch I ordered doesn't fit. So I took the original to my local locksmith. He took the tumblers out, removed the broken key, and made me a new key. Put it back together and I'm good to go...at least I thought.
Now another problem arises. with a little effort, the whole shaft will move "pull out" from the little box down in front of the main steering box. the one that has the grease seal and cover. It will move approximately a half inch and stop. So I tore the column apart again thinking maybe I had the one c clip in the wrong slot, but I didn't, and it really didn't matter because I can still pull the shaft in and out. I watched Cody's video again, and it looks like there is a pin that holds the shaft in place. Should it have that much play? I cant believe that this could be "okay". somethings not right. Input is much appreciated guys. Thanks a mill! 

Cuda Cody

Yes, the plastic pins are broke.  They make a kit to fix it, but not sure it's available anymore.  Do a quick search and you'll find a few different ways people have fixed it.

734406PK

Totally unorthodox I know, but as a last resort, A hot glue gun with high strength rods will work. It may be the only option in this time IDK. Good luck!

Rockboyz

1 Wild R/T

https://forum.e-bodies.org/wheels-tires-brakes-suspension-and-steering/12/steering-column-shaft-repair-kit/199/

There are two locations on the upper shaft where there are holes, total of four holes... But the lower shaft doesn't have holes, it has grooves.... The pins are moulded in the column by injecting plastic through one hole till it seeps out the other side... When the plastic sets up the shaft is locked to length... When new it took about 550 lbs of force to shear the pins but as the plastics age they deteriorate & fail much easier...

You can set the length, drill through the inner shaft & pin it with nylon pins, melt the ends with a soldering iron to lock them in place...

Rockboyz

Sorry about the double post

New to me is the two piece shaft, however, I don't believe that is my problem. My shaft seems to be still in tack as one piece. Looking at the above pic, my shaft is sliding in and out of the coupler by about 1/2 inch. 

Cuda Cody

Yup, your shaft is 2 pieces and the pins are broke.  The end shaft will then move up and down in the coupler.

Rockboyz

I get what you guys are saying, but I can push and pull the shaft in and out of the couple from the steering wheel. If the shaft was in two pieces so to speak, I would think I wouldnt be able to do that? When I was driving it, I was able to pull back on the wheel
And it moved. If it was in two pieces, then pulling on the steering wheel shouldn't come out of the coupler. I'm wondering if there is some kind of a clip inside the column that may have broke or come loose.

Cuda Cody

Yes, there is a clip in the column.  You might need to take it apart and see what is going on?

So if you pull the steering wheel towards yourself while seated in the seat the steering wheel comes towards you?  :huh:  Can you take a photo?

Rockboyz

Yes, that is correct. It happened when I was driving it. Now, the furthest I went in disassembling was down to the lock gear. Is there a clip or something else further down that may have come off?