Issue with new repop center console

Started by shadango, July 24, 2019, 09:27:54 AM

Previous topic Next topic

Timbbuc2

I bought mine from @Tony, no problems, very nice
Get in, I'll drive

kawahonda

Here was my review of the console lid:

I ordered the reproduction console lid. For $79, you'd expect something pretty good.

1) there were scratches on the inner console lid panel. Almost like screwdriver marring.
2) the holes for the latch were sloppy. I had to drill them out more. The hole for the retaining wire wasn't drilled out at all.
3) the fasteners were not close to stock. Some came with washers. Using the original fasteners didn't always work...many too short.
4) the fitment wasn't much better than what I had, so I threw it back in the box and it's about to go in the trash.
5) they actually provide you screws that if you tighten it too much, it deforms the other side. My god.

https://forum.e-bodies.org/deals-coupons-vendor-specials-and-product-reviews/16/the-reproduction-part-test-garage/8594/msg118626#msg118626

It was by far the crumiest part I have bought that was aftermarket. It's a VERY hard part to get right, don't me wrong...I'm not hear to crap on things. Just an honest opinion.
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

shadango

Quote from: VCODE on July 24, 2019, 10:22:12 AM
And how much did you pay for shipping from Classic? I would think more than $30.00
Did Tony have them at Carlisle.
Bob

I paid $233 shipped (free shipping, price was $250 less an online coupon code).

I also didnt have much room to take stuff back with me so having it shipped to my house made sense.

shadango

Quote from: TONY on July 24, 2019, 02:08:43 PM
hi Shadango

we sell our 71-4 auto consoles for $250 each

Classic list them for $259.99

with one of their 20% off deals comes out to $208 + shipping, which would be over $30 probably closer to $40 to the east coast

so that sounds like closer to $240 or $250.
im just asking to see what Classic is offering.
are you ok with posting the part of your invoice that shows the total paid for your order (without showing any personal info)

thank you

Hi Tony

I don't have the technology to do that at my current location but can send you an email from home later......but really anyone can get the same results by going to their site and doing a shopping cart.....(though had I waited and bought today, there would have been no free shipping).  If buying today the same console would be $274 shipped from them. 

Looking at my Classic receipt from that day, the total price I paid that day was  $237.94 -- $259 price, free shipping, an online discount code for 10% off that day, $3.94 extra for insurance. Complete and an "official licensed Mopar reproduction" (I assume yours are as well).

Yes, "only" $12 difference, some will say, had I paid $250 for yours at the show.

To be 100% honest, and since you seem interested in my thinking on "why" (if not I apologize) --  I also googled your site while at Carlisle to see what the usual price online was.....aaaaand.....it was the same as at the show, plus shipping. 

Years ago it seemed like most vendors would have special show pricing plus you save shipping....that's a great deal.....over the years it seems like more vendors are hyping the "free shipping" aspect and offering no show discount......when someone buying at the show saves money and time processing orders, packaging orders etc....yeah, a vendor has to haul the parts to the show.....but that would be made up in economy of scale I would think.

Some did this time but many did not....and my line of thinking is that if I can pay $x online or pay the same price "live" at an event like Carlisle for the same part from the same vendor, especially if having to pay CASH,  I have to look at other factors.....shipping is just one factor.

So I figured all I would save is shipping if I paid cash for yours versus your online site and then would have to lug it back to my car WAAAAAAAY across the grounds (my back and feet hurt)  and then stick it somewhere temporarily, and then pack and transport home. Seeing the box the one from Classic came in (double boxed to protect it) I would have had issues getting it home for SURE.

Plus have less liquid cash in my pocket for Carlisle $7 lemonades  LOL

I continued googling and ended up at Classic which offered free shipping to my door for purchases over $100 (or maybe it was $200)....so even without the coupon code it would have been less $$ total due to the free shipping.....

But again, I didn't want to have to get it home. I didn't have my truck at the show this year and had limited room for taking stuff home...so shipping straight to home was the best deal.

I also wanted to keep cash liquid in my pocket and use a credit card where I could......the used parts guys don't take credit cards, but most of the new parts vendors do.....I had bought seat backs at Vans earlier in the day (another reason I was concerned about having to haul parts home..LOL) and they took my credit card and that kept me liquid...

So, when I got to your spot and saw the consoles for sale, I actually was excited --  I asked at your spot but was told cash only.....honestly that factored in, and I decided to think on it.....and that led me to google later.

Plus I get 2% back on my CC purchases....another $4.76 in savings.....  Total $16.76 saved. And money is money. So it made sense to me all around, end of the day.

True that I could have inspected it "on site".....and its a headache to have to followup with the issue....

But I am cautiously sure that Classic will eventually step up....this aint my first rodayo -- I haven't heard back and its been a couple days....but I am sure it will taken care of.   And its not a rush situation.

Didn't really want to get into price-comparisons with a forum-sponsoring vendor and someone who has done so much good for the Mopar community (uncomfortable...LOL)

I was just more curious as to whether defects are common in the repops.....sound like they are somewhat.  The originals probably werent 100% perfect either....but I know my old pieces do not have this issue so I'd rather not have it.

I actually considered buying used...but everyone was asking $200-$300 and they all seemed to have the squiggly plastic strip part by the shifter (like shown on your site) and where mine broke....I figured new plastic in that area would be less likely to break than 40 year old plastic....LOL ...but would have bought just a used top half if I would have found it at less $$.  As it is, I get a 100% new console....even if a repop.

Anyways.....will post an update here.....I may try calling them direct ---want to get stuff sent back out over the weekend if need be.

TONY

shadango,
thanks for your response. did you order have to be above a certain amount to get free shipping?
or was your order just for the console?

kawahonda.
either you got a defect or are having issues on your end. we've sold over 1000 console doors and over 3000 consoles with the doors included and havent heard what your stating.

why didnt you return it to classic?

glad your not here to " crap on things" as you put it,  even though you wrote :
"It was by far the crumiest part I have bought that was aftermarket"

others from your post that you posted a link to shows that some others had different results:
JS29 wrote "I got A new console lid from tony's last year, I did have to make A small piece for the button to screw to but other than that I was pleased with the product."

ANLAUTO wrote " I've used several of @TONY 's complete consoles with great results. The lids close nicer on them then most factory consoles."

but ill tell you what, even though you didnt buy it from us, send it to me, and ill replace it.

i hope that helps

shadango

Quote from: TONY on July 26, 2019, 07:14:45 AM
shadango,
thanks for your response. did you order have to be above a certain amount to get free shipping?
or was your order just for the console?

It was just the console.

As I recall it was something like "over $229 ships free!"  or something.  That offer and the 10% off was expiring that day....

Their banners change all the time.

Today, no free shipping.....the code they have now for "up to 30%" gets me 10% if I plug it in now....

Not a big fan of constantly changing offers either....but hey.....saving the small change adds up to more parts I can buy.  :)

shadango

I end up calling because I had heard from NO ONE......I am told that the lady who handles it will get back to me.

Three hours later I finally get an email asking me if I want to return the part or exchange it - when I had already explained what I wanted to the person I talked to on the phone. I want an exchange. So I call when I get home from work and its like pulling teeth to get help! I got the same person I spoke to earlier in the day. I again explained I just wanted a return label so I could get the part shipped back on saturday....I asked when my new part would be going out and was told he had to receive the bad part first. GREAT......another week just for that!

I asked if someone could inspect the new part before it goes out and I got cut off from the phone system and sat listening to dead air for 5 minutes, and then called back....... wait for 5 minutes while the operator gets me back to the same guy....

He tells me that the lady who handles this is going to expedite it......and that I should get a return label in a half hour or so....all the time slurping in my ear like he is eating something....

GREAT>>>>>I have to wait until you guys CLOSE for the day to find out if I get the label or not....FWIW, its been 15 minutes and still no label.

I order parts all the time online.......Summit, for instance....I have had few issues but when there has been, immediate help.....almost instant responses to email.....and then the process happens very quickly...I get parts from them in like a day...LOL...of course I live 2 hours from them.

Eastwood, same thing..>FAST and COURTEOUS.

NO EXCUSE for something like this to drag out over 3 days just to get started !!!

70 Challenger Lover

They can't be that bad compared to the originals. I kept trying to sell a nice original 4 speed one at the spring and fall fling and couldn't hardly give it away. Everyone kept telling me originals aren't worth buying anymore because the repo ones are so nice and relatively inexpensive.

anlauto

I had one experience with Classic a while back where I was desperate for a Challenger trunk lid and EVERYBODY was out of stock yet their web site said they had stock. Instead of placing the order on line, I picked up the phone  and told the person I want to be 100% sure it was in stock ready to ship, and told them about the fact nobody else had stock....put me on hold for 5 minutes....came back said YUP ...no problem....I was very excited paid for it and waited....and waited....he said I would get an email with tracking when it shipped later that day....two days...three days....I call back....different person....Oh that part is out of stock....we won't have any for three months  :headbang: :headbang: "Would like like a refund? "

NO I WOULD LIKE A FRICKEN TRUNK LID !!!!!!!
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

shadango

Maybe my standards are too high when it comes to customer service, or maybe its the left coast laid back attitude ....lol

I eventually got the label via email....no "sorry for the delay"....just a link sent by UPS......gonna pack it up and ship back.

Returns/exchanges are never fun......and maybe I am just turning into a cranky old man....but I see no reason it took so long to get to this point.

Maybe they are just too big to care.....

Luckily for me this is no rush situation....I had actually grafted two different halves of the top section together to make a good one....that was some 10 years back.....and its worked since then....I could live with it frankly......maybe I should have just left well enough alone and lived with it...LOL

RUNCHARGER

It's too bad it didn't work out. Personally I've crutched enough repo parts that I much prefer cleaned up originals but sometimes the repro parts are usable. It sounds like these consoles should be inspected closer before being shipped. We see lots of junk from AMD too.
Sheldon

shadango

Quote from: RUNCHARGER on July 27, 2019, 08:00:16 AM
It's too bad it didn't work out. Personally I've crutched enough repo parts that I much prefer cleaned up originals but sometimes the repro parts are usable. It sounds like these consoles should be inspected closer before being shipped. We see lots of junk from AMD too.

Well, they are supposed to send me another one...so hoping it DOES work out OK.

I got a set of repro seat backs from Vans at the show and they look good.....as far as my eye is concerned at least.....havent installed yet...gonna try to do today maybe....

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: shadango on July 27, 2019, 04:15:37 AM
Maybe my standards are too high when it comes to customer service, or maybe its the left coast laid back attitude ....lol

Well if it's a West Coast thing then explain why I have the same kind of service from Year One......  I currently have a friends car in my shop that I'm doing a little project on... Turns out his engine wiring harness is toasty, someone butcher in an electronic ignition 35 years ago & it's time for a new one... Naturally it spite of my dislike for buying stuff from Year One they are "the source" for M&H wiring & so we have no options... Called in the order last Saturday, part is in stock, hoping to see the part maybe Thursday... But would also hope/expect to see tracking info Monday... Nope... Tuesday Nope... Tuesday later in the day I have my friend call to see whats going on... Well, it shipped Tuesday.... But the shipper hasn't posted a tracking update... No info Wednesday or Thursday.. Friday call again to rattle the cage... Finally a tracking update... As it turns out Year One shipped it by UPS but with their absolute cheapest service which means UPS gives the package to USPS for delivery.... We hope to see it Monday or Tuesday but no guaranty...  They charge how much for delivery??  They can't even provide tracking.....  I got burned a few times by Year One back in the 80's & 90's... I try never to buy from them & once again they have validated that opinion...

I feel Classic is the same.... I'll keep ordering from vendors I trust...

anlauto

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on July 27, 2019, 02:19:49 PM
Year One they are "the source" for M&H wiring & so we have no options...

MEGAPARTS sells M&H wiring  :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....

anlauto

I actually think Roseville sells M&H as well  :thinking: