Main Menu

Issue with new repop center console

Started by shadango, July 24, 2019, 09:27:54 AM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

When it does make sure you check every circuit before trying to install it. I don't deal with One Year, haven't since about 1990 or so. They have some kind of an inlaw deal with UPS that makes it impossible to deal with them.
Sheldon

shadango

Sooooo....Classic called Friday and left a message saying that they "went thru every console we have in stock and they all have the dimple".....

Tony , Roseville or anyone else who has experience with the repop consoles...can you comment if this is "normal" or just a bad batch that they have?

7E-Bodies

Are they offering a refund? If not, I'd say I'll be steering clear of them.
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

shadango

WEll, they are saying "let us know what you want to do and they offered a refund or exchange.

I dont think there is anything sinister here.....

If all the repops out there have this dimple/divot then it is what it is.

If its NOT normal, then they have a bad batch and I will ask them if they intend on getting any more in or not and go from there.

If its "normal" I think I would just as soon stay with my imperfect original.  Its missing about a 1-2 inch piece strip on the left side next to the shifter....the main reason I am looking to replace.....I can barely see my frankenstein fix, joining two halves of a top together....and it has "patina" .  ;)

anlauto

I'm afraid I can't be of much help. I have used several of the reproduction console and don't recall seeing a divot there  :huh:

I've tried to find pictures, but came up short....nothing real close up of that area.

But just so you know...There's only ONE manufacture of these consoles and he's a pretty upstanding member here...maybe talk to him...he stands behind his products. :worship:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

shadango

Quote from: anlauto on August 05, 2019, 06:15:21 AM
I'm afraid I can't be of much help. I have used several of the reproduction console and don't recall seeing a divot there  :huh:

I've tried to find pictures, but came up short....nothing real close up of that area.

But just so you know...There's only ONE manufacture of these consoles and he's a pretty upstanding member here...maybe talk to him...he stands behind his products. :worship:

Thanks for the info...my opinion is that if you saw it in person you would remember it....

At the risk of sounding like an uneducated fool, who is the manufacturer you mention is a member here?

anlauto

Quote from: shadango on August 05, 2019, 09:14:38 AM

At the risk of sounding like an uneducated fool, who is the manufacturer you mention is a member here?

These consoles and many other plastic interior pieces are manufactured by Tony's Parts @TONY  :worship:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

shadango

Quote from: anlauto on August 05, 2019, 09:38:33 AM
Quote from: shadango on August 05, 2019, 09:14:38 AM

These consoles and many other plastic interior pieces are manufactured by Tony's Parts @TONY  :worship:

Cool....was not aware.

Thanks for that info!

So, Tony --- is the "dimple" in all of the repops , ie part of the mold?

My eye goes right to it on the one Classic sent me and they are saying that all the ones they have in stock have the same issue.

They are waiting to hear from me on what I want to do.

Thanks

tman

Im sure Classic will be in touch with him.

TONY

Hi,
Sorry for my delayed response but we've been jamming getting ready for the nats, which I'm off to after this post!

In regards to the dimple. Some of the repros have them and some don't. But guess what, we have originals that have the same dimple in the same spot. I'm pretty sure that it has to do with the way they got released from the mold. So I'm not trying to be a wisearse, but since we have some originals like that you can say that it's a copy of an original, lol.  But seriously, originally from Chrysler there were a lot more than 1 casting/mold used to make those consoles and even variables within each run, another example is the variance of the top plate fitting, and I'm only referring to original top plates, the aftermarket top plates are too long/thick and require some modifying to fit.

You've got to look at a video of a brand new 69 gtx on YouTube and see how poorly those console top plates fit, and that's on a brand new car.

I was wanting to take pics of the repro consoles and original consoles both with and without that, but I just wasn't able to get the time for it with the push of getting ready for the nats and filling orders.

I can't say for sure that all that Classic currently has in stock all have the dimple, but I do know from being in business sometimes it's easier to offer a refund then to try to look thru a huge inventory and still not be able to please the customer.

I do agree what with member Burdar wrote early on in this thread "Your eye goes right to it because you're looking at it in perfect lighting with the reflection right on the defect.  Put it in the car and see if it still jumps out at you. :2cents:"
I think if you picture it again without the flash exactly on that area it wouldn't be highlighting the dimple and wouldn't be nearly as noticeable.
Once installed that area is partly hidden by the dash.
I'm not making excuses and saying the part is perfect, but honestly no part is perfect, even originals.

If the issue your mentioning was an ongoing problem that we had on a regular basis and customers were rejecting it then for sure we would go thru stock and pull those flawed aside and get replacements. We've had to do that a couple of times in the past with some parts, and that was upon our inspection of it, prior to any customer receiving it.

My point is that not all of the repro consoles are perfect, and I don't feel the originals were either.

While I do recall the exchange made at the nats for a customer who found a flaw with his console, we didn't argue and just exchanged it. But you know what, that console was good enough for the next customer. 

I'll always accept a return if the customer isn't pleased with his purchase, but I really haven't had that issue arise with consoles often at all.

kawahonda

To go with what Tony is saying, I wish my top center console lid would fit flush (original). I think I spent 6 hours on it trying everything. I'd believe that originally this interior area was lacking in ebodies.

I've always said it, but that damn console door is the worst QA part. I'd trade off a flush fitting console door for a dimple any day!
1970 Dodge Challenger A66

TONY

send me your console door and ill replace it, no problem

we'll get it right for you

kawahonda

Thanks for the offer Tony, but I'm meaning to say that even my stock one isn't fitting correctly, and the repo fitted the same (but had other issues)!

1970 Dodge Challenger A66

shadango

Thanks for the reply Tony.....

Quote from: TONY on August 06, 2019, 02:36:59 PM
In regards to the dimple. Some of the repros have them and some don't. But guess what, we have originals that have the same dimple in the same spot. I'm pretty sure that it has to do with the way they got released from the mold. So I'm not trying to be a wisearse, but since we have some originals like that you can say that it's a copy of an original, lol. 
<snip>
I can't say for sure that all that Classic currently has in stock all have the dimple, but I do know from being in business sometimes it's easier to offer a refund then to try to look thru a huge inventory and still not be able to please the customer.
<snip>
I do agree what with member Burdar wrote early on in this thread "Your eye goes right to it because you're looking at it in perfect lighting with the reflection right on the defect.  Put it in the car and see if it still jumps out at you. :2cents:"
I think if you picture it again without the flash exactly on that area it wouldn't be highlighting the dimple and wouldn't be nearly as noticeable.
Once installed that area is partly hidden by the dash.

Well, I admit I am not anywhere near as experienced in the Mopar world as you or maybe many others here -- have been a Mopar fan all my life but really only owned my Barracuda for 10 years....which I put together myself and learned as I went....and relied on the help from many of the great folks who are now on this forum and on the other one.....

But I can tell you that every year at Carlisle or Nats as well as online etc for the last 10 years  I have looked for a good used console in great or even good shape that didn't break the bank. So I have seen a LOT of "old ones"....including just this past Carlisle....must have seen 100 of em.  LOL  All had issues and all were $250 or more....

But honestly, have NEVER seen a dimple like on the one Classic sent me, including on the repop one you had set up at your display at Carlisle.

So if its a "common" thing, I have never seen it.   I HAVE noticed a bowing of the thin plastic strip along the left side the gear shift on the older ones, which is broken on mine and missing a 2 inch piece and why I wanted to replace the whole console to begin with, so I have stayed away from those ones with the bow figuring it would break just like mine.....

I have seen other MINOR imperfections on old used ones and even on the display one you had at the show in the detail on the edges but that is not what I am talking about.

If the pothole is not on all of them, then I want one without.    :)

As far as the camera flash highlighting it.....nuh uh.

I saw the divot as soon as I pulled it out the box in my average-lit garage.   My 20 year old son pointed it out, uncoached...my wife said "yuck" when she saw it.

As you suggested I do not know if Classic bothered to actually look thru their inventory or not......but again, the new repop on YOUR display at Carlisle didnt have it so I know that not all have that defect.   I have not seen that defect on any pictures of the new repops online anywhere they are sold. So their "they all have it" can relate only to their stock, if they looked at all. And they may have just one or two in stock.

A slight blemish on a style line on it would be one thing...and those minor "defects" I DO see online and even on the one at your display...understandable and acceptable and as long as the overall defects are better than my current one, no worries - my car isnt a concourse restoration.......but this is a pothole, that will draw my eye every time now.  On the Barracudauda, mine at least, its not "under " the dash like some other models.....looking in from the passenger side, its plain as day.  Maybe someone else not looking wouldn't see it.....but I would, every time.

Heck, I am not even too worried about the "grain" as many are on interior pieces....I trust its correct and as long as it looks decent I am not gonna look at that with a magnifying glass. 

But I have enough defects on my car that bother me every time I see them (oh dont get my going there...LOL)....in fact this purchase was supposed to ELIMINATE one of those (the broken strip) , to go and add another one.  :)

My car is far from the perfect restos that Graveyard Cars does.....but I have watched enough of the shows to know that a part with a blemish like this would't get put on one of their cars.....they would go for a "more perfect one" if possible unless it was "correct" and not a choice......why should I accept any less?  I don't believe that most folks would want this defect on a brand new part they just bought and are putting into their prized possession.

Tony, as a Mopar enthusiast and car guy you know what I am saying is true.  I hear you talk all the time on TV about "correctness" and quality etc.   Even if some originals had the defect, it was still a defect.

As much money and  time and love and obsession as we all put into our cars, I have a hard time accepting that Classic wants me to just assume its normal and live with it when its obviously not the norm or part of the original design because its easier for them.  And this isn't a case of "the customer can't be made happy"......this is a case of a customer being told by Classic that "they all have it" when I know that is BS.  The original pieces I have seen do not, so if Classic says the repops do, they are in effect saying the repops are not good repops.....which I know is not the case.

.....again, I didn't know you were the manufacturer/distributor...but I am aware now and I'm glad to have the opportunity to talk to the man who actually controls the quality control on the parts....

So, now that my rant is off my chest  ( :D  )   I guess I am asking if there is anything you can do to help get me a version of the part that is not showing this (what I feel is a) defect and is a good example of a decent repop without obvious defects, that fits right and looks good?

If not, I'll tell Classic thanks but no thanks and continue my search for a "good one", maybe in person next year.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cuda_mark

Quote from: TONY on July 26, 2019, 07:14:45 AM
we've sold over 1000 console doors and over 3000 consoles with the doors included and havent heard what your stating.

Think about that for a second. 3000 consoles. That's a lot of parts. Thanks for supporting the Mopar Industry @TONY! I think your consoles are in 25% or more of the old Mopars still out there.

And like you've said, the quality of these parts in 1970 wasn't all that great to begin with.