Main Menu

Will this be a problem?

Started by blown motor, March 27, 2017, 05:59:20 PM

Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

I had my gauge cluster restored and they put new wood grain on the old bezel. However, the bezel they returned to me is not the one I sent them. You can see how the top of it dips on the left side. Will this be visible when it is installed? It's been a couple months since I took it apart, details are a little fuzzy. Does the light bar cover that and will it hold it up flat? Hoping to go at installation tomorrow.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

Cuda Cody

I've sen them bend like that before.  The dash frame will help some, but not sure how much.   :notsure:  I'll be curious to see how much of it straightens out when you install it.

HP_Cuda

Give it a whirl, I'm sure it will get pulled up by the lightbar.

Take some pics.
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Aar1064

I restored mine a few months back and it was bent there as well. I've seen quite a few like this as well. I gently used a heat gun to get some of it out. It's not perfect but I didn't want to push it.

Once it's installed with light bar, I think you'll see that it's not that noticeable.

71GranCoupe

It should be fine and with the heat it will be better yet. I was doing a mock up on a full assembly on the bench and had one that was curved as much if not more than the one you show. The upper light bar will pull it back up into place and the heat gun should help it retain the correct shape, but, if parked out in the sun, it will tend to flex. And as a side note, just more facts why an ABS dash pads should be avoided, unless kept out of the heat all the time.  :alan2cents:

soundcontrol

If you sent them a straight one, and get a bent one back, I would contact them and have them make it right.

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Slotts

I would be concerned that the two interlocking tabs that mate with the switch panel on the left side are both broken off. Each should look like this [. That helps to keep the vertical joint between the switch panel and gauge cluster tight. That usually occurred when the gauge cluster was trying to be removed with the switch panel still mounted.

Quote from: soundcontrol on March 28, 2017, 06:49:29 AM
If you sent them a straight one, and get a bent one back, I would contact them and have them make it right.

I agree with this and let them know you have not one but two issues with this bezel.

Jim
Be careful. Don't get caught drinking the Kool-Aid or believing the hype.

ec_co

Growing older is mandatory...growing up is optional.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

'70 Barracuda B5/B5 225 /6 3spd ... about as bare bones as they came

usraptor

:iagree:  100%  No reason to even attempt to use this one if your original was straight!  :bigthumb:

Spikedog08

Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

Brads70

blown motor

In some case yes, but.........when I was removing it I somehow broke off the "post" in the top right corner that extends through the gauge cluster and it also had another crack in it. I sent him the piece because he said they could meld it back in. The one I got back shows absolutely no sign of any breakage or repair and there is no crack. If the warp doesn't show then I'm likely better off with this one.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

anlauto

I'd try to install it before you get all bent out of shape....I think it will be fine. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: HP_Cuda on March 27, 2017, 07:23:36 PM

Give it a whirl, I'm sure it will get pulled up by the lightbar.

Take some pics.

:iagree: the light bar will hold it up