Main Menu

Hellcrate Swap!

Started by Dmod1974, December 05, 2021, 08:32:42 AM

Previous topic Next topic

RacerX

Quote from: Dmod1974 on March 14, 2022, 07:58:27 AM
Quote from: RacerX on March 14, 2022, 07:33:41 AM
Quote from: anlauto on January 07, 2022, 12:32:00 PM

@Dmod1974 I'd like to take the time again to thank you for doing the research and coming up with the dipstick/tube part numbers, I picked up mine yesterday and got everything in place today. Works fantastic with the TTI headers, no worries there... My project is only a  little 392, not the Hellcat....but it works great...thanks again... :worship: :drinkingbud:

I ordered this dipstick setup for my 6.4 and it fits nice and I like the out-of-the-way routing.

But...  it is very difficult to remove and re-insert the dipstick.   So much so that I am concerned that it will
get bent or kinked.

You guys notice any difficulty with the dipstick or do I have a dud?

Mine was that way when it was bone dry but went away after I put oil in the engine and pulled it a few times.

Ok that sounds logical...     will see how it goes after there is oil in the engine.

Katfish

My dipstick/tube just arrived today and I wondered same thing.
It's a catch-22, tube has to have severe bends to hug block, so it is pretty hard to insert the dipstick.
I also noticed it not a single piece design, they riveted 2 sections together.

Glad to hear it gets easier once there's some oil on it.

anlauto

Mine is tough, but I don't plan to check the oil that often, so it doesn't bother me... :tool:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Katfish

Quote from: anlauto on March 14, 2022, 03:04:08 PM
Mine is tough, but I don't plan to check the oil that often, so it doesn't bother me... :tool:

Should really be no reason to pull the dipstick.
These modern engines don't use oil or leak.
I have an 06 Mustang that I bought new and I've pulled that dipstick 3 times or less.

Dmod1974

Remember, this is a factory Jeep dipstick setup.  You may need to set your purses down before removing it  :haha: :haha: :haha:  Seriously though, a light oil film like you'd get from windage and oil misting in the crankcase after running the engine might make a world of difference in reducing friction. 

Also, some dipsticks are a PITA to remove and insert in one orientation for whatever reason, but extremely easy when rotated 90 or 180 degrees different due to the way they are twisted and bent.  Might want to try that too.

Dmod1974

I put together a How To video on modifying the stock Gen 3 hemi power steering pump pressure and flow rate to be more compatible with the steering (and hydroboost if you're running it.)  Hopefully this saves some of you some time and money for other things!

speedbird1229

Hey!

I found your thread now. Thanks for popping into my other thread on swapping the 5.7 HEMI for the 6.2. I really appreciated your help there.

It has been an interesting read.

1) How has your swap worked for you so far?
2) Did the alternator fit in the end nicely or did some modification had to be done to the body?
3) What are the components that exactly had to be bought as an extra - so far I understand that I need harness, an adapter for the supercharger coolant lines, alternator, starter.
4) I have already acquired and modified the current 5.7 engine to fit nicely on the front axle. I used a rear sump Holley setup. Do you think this same pan would work for the 6.2?
5) I have 5.7 engine Hooker headers all done with complete exhaust. Do you think the 6.2 connects with these headers or will new ones be needed?

I really appreciate your help and hope you don't mind me checking in here for a few more things.
George
1970 Hemi Cuda Supercharged 8-speed restomod project in Europe
Project forum post (blog)