hot_post in 6.1 Swap in Modern Hemi Swaps Author Topic: 6.1 Swap  (Read 1137 times)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • E-Body Wizard
  • index in 6.1 Swap in Modern Hemi Swaps
  • Challenger ... You'll wish you hadn't !!
    • Share Post
xx in 6.1 Swap in Modern Hemi Swaps
Re: 6.1 Swap
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2022, 06:29:29 PM »
It seems that if the engine was run hard the lifters are fine but if it was babied the lifters can starve for oil , worth a look inside for sure .
1-190417082201 in 6.1 Swap in Modern Hemi Swaps

Online anlauto

• Trade Count: (17)
  • E-Body Wizard
  • Life is like a box of chocolates....
    • Share Post
    • www_sm in 6.1 Swap in Modern Hemi Swaps
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2022, 07:28:44 PM »
So you saved money by buying a used engine, but now you think you might have to invest in repairs ? :clueless:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

Offline rebelyell

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Big Block
    • Share Post
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2022, 08:12:41 PM »
I wouldn't really say "repairs." I want to eventually do a cam swap and the decision is either now or later. Lifters are an issue on these engines.

Even if I bought a new one, I'd want to put a cam in it.

E-Bodies Cuda Challenger Message Forum

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2022, 08:12:41 PM »

Offline soundcontrol

• Six Pack
    • Share Post
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2022, 02:36:40 AM »
That's what I haven't seen yet. I know I'll need 3 bolts and a new stud. I was just going to wait and see which went where when it got time to install it.

Do you know if those pans accept a magnetic drain plug?

They should, looks like a standard plug, I have Milodon.
/Ken

1970 Challenger restomod project 6.1 Hemi
Link: https://forum.e-bodies.org/your-restoration-project/10/70-challenger-conv-restomod-6-1-hemi/337/
1973 Challenger project
2015 Challenger Hellcat
1970 Barracuda Gran Coupé

Offline rebelyell

• Big Block
    • Share Post
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2022, 08:48:44 AM »
FRP said "maybe" on the 6.1 PCM programming. Hotwire gave me a flat "no." So instead of taking a chance, I'm going to sell it with the headers and existing wiring harness when I get everything I need from Hotwire. Oh well.

Off to find an engine stand so I can get the motor mobile. Anybody have the motor mount dimensions on the block? What angle they are? Need to model up a plan in solidworks.

Offline rebelyell

• Big Block
    • Share Post
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2022, 08:54:13 AM »
Does anybody see an advantage in making an engine test pallet? Getting the harness that's going in the car, finding a junk bellhousing to mount the starter, a junkyard fuel tank/pump and a mechanical oil pressure gage.

My reasoning for this is to have as much ironed out as possible before dropping it in the car. I could have a running engine ready to go when I get the trans kit and the remaining small parts like brackets and lines, etc. Basically its a way to keep me interested while I wait for parts to come in.

LKQ gets me the tank with pump for $60. What are yalls thoughts?

Offline soundcontrol

• Six Pack
    • Share Post
clip in 6.1 Swap in Modern Hemi Swaps
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2022, 10:42:48 AM »
Does anybody see an advantage in making an engine test pallet? Getting the harness that's going in the car, finding a junk bellhousing to mount the starter, a junkyard fuel tank/pump and a mechanical oil pressure gage.

My reasoning for this is to have as much ironed out as possible before dropping it in the car. I could have a running engine ready to go when I get the trans kit and the remaining small parts like brackets and lines, etc. Basically its a way to keep me interested while I wait for parts to come in.

LKQ gets me the tank with pump for $60. What are yalls thoughts?

I thought about that also, got inspired by a friend who did it for his Chevy engines that he uses in boats. He didn't use a bellhousing and no radiator, he just runs a waterhose to the engine. He also makes his own harness and programs the computer himself.

clip in 6.1 Swap in Modern Hemi Swaps
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2022, 10:42:48 AM »

Online Dmod1974

• Big Block
    • Share Post
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2022, 11:07:51 AM »
A lot of redundant work if you already have a video and know for a fact that the engine runs fine. 

If you do anything, I'd build a bench programming harness to power the ECM and talk to it via the DLC.  Then you can hook up the ECM to the engine/chassis harness and make sure all of your sensors and wiring work since that's the only unknown.  And if the setup you're running lets you control actuators like injectors and coils, you can test those and their wiring too.

I built one because I am using HP Tuners to change the fan settings on my build, but you could also use it for electronics testing purposes like above.

Offline rebelyell

• Big Block
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2022, 01:50:08 PM »
A lot of redundant work if you already have a video and know for a fact that the engine runs fine. 

If you do anything, I'd build a bench programming harness to power the ECM and talk to it via the DLC.  Then you can hook up the ECM to the engine/chassis harness and make sure all of your sensors and wiring work since that's the only unknown.  And if the setup you're running lets you control actuators like injectors and coils, you can test those and their wiring too.

I built one because I am using HP Tuners to change the fan settings on my build, but you could also use it for electronics testing purposes like above.

Yeah, mostly. But I think my advantage here is proving everything works while I have space to work on it. But if I'm buying a hotwire harness/pcm, new transmission and new fuel pump/tank, the only thing I'm really testing is the motor. I'm impatient dammit.  :haha:

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2022, 01:50:08 PM »

Tags:

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter Share via whatsapp

xx
318 swap to 440

Started by Iowa Six Barrel

6 Replies
Last post November 14, 2017, 01:29:41 PM
by HP_Cuda
xx
what else would i need hemi swap

Started by 74challenger

5 Replies
Last post May 30, 2021, 03:07:39 PM
by MoparLeo