Main Menu

Gen3 AC location? 5.7 motor

Started by Katfish, July 15, 2018, 12:53:29 PM

Previous topic Next topic

Katfish

Looking at Schumacher conversion mounts for Gen3. They offer a version for low mount AC compressor. What 5.7 motors have a low compressor? Don't have a motor yet, in the gathering parts mode and wondering which mounts to get.

Looking to do a budget swap (JY or wrecked 5.7), what's the difference low vs high AC compressor?

JpRngr

My 6.1L is low mount as are, I believe, most cars. I believe it's trucks that have the high mounts.

Corey

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: JpRngr on July 15, 2018, 03:26:00 PM
My 6.1L is low mount as are, I believe, most cars. I believe it's trucks that have the high mounts.

Corey

This.

For what it's worth, I have TTI swap mounts with a low mount compressor. I did have to cut the aft mounting boss off of the compressor. but it does not appear to be an issue.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

JpRngr

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on July 15, 2018, 03:41:01 PM

This.

For what it's worth, I have TTI swap mounts with a low mount compressor. I did have to cut the aft mounting boss off of the compressor. but it does not appear to be an issue.

On my MF K-Member, I too, had to cut off one of the compressor mounting bosses to fit the motor mount. Wasn't too difficult and didn't seem to get anywhere close to affecting the compressor's integrity. Only real issue is you have to wait until the engine's installed before mounting the compressor. But, that wasn't a big deal.

Corey

Katfish

Good info, I guess I should get the low compressor mount.
Has to be many more car motors built than trucks.
I'd expect the truck motors to have had a harder life too.

In an ideal world I'd love to find a low mileage wreck.