Main Menu

Hellephant - Is it feasible?

Started by 303 Mopar, October 31, 2018, 06:46:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

303 Mopar

Shane Kelley

Figure out how to pay for it later.  :haha:    Get it coming! 

Spikedog08

Interesting thread and a good read!  Yeah probably an overkill but would be fun . . .  :stayinlane:
Drive it like you stole it . . . And they're CHASING you!

7212Mopar

Ok. Need someone to pick one up and do a "How To" thread covering finding the right transmission, rear ends, driveshaft and chassis work.
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

Chryco Psycho

IMO no it is not feasable ... Let me explain ...
I am sure it will fit , but either you are pulling a trailer with Race fuel or if it will run at all on pump gas you will limit the power to a much lower level .
this is a perfect competition engine for some serious competition such as the drag Pack body shells Mopar was offering or some serious road course racing .
For street use the Hellcrate has to be the ultimate choice at least it si pump gas friendly & 800hp should be enough !!
Trans choice is a tough call , A well built 727 / 518 will take a lot of power Lencos will take it all day , T56 Magnum or a T5050 should hold up but maybe not drag racing on slicks . I have run 800+ hp through a 727 reliably with a blown 440 .
The diff is a no brainer , get a Dana or buy something less & break it anyway & replace it with a Dana .
I learned a ton with my Duster , 575 HP 440 on a motor plate  / A833 Alum OD / 4.30 8 3/4 , floating ladder bar suspension  , 3400 lb with me in it , it had a 10 point cage , the rear frame rails were moved inward & it was tubbed , I was running 11.7s @ 118 in the 1/4 with a 1.40 60' time on an 10.5 x 29.5 " slick  . I street drove the Duster & never had a trailer taking it to the track .
This car never ran its potential , I still had chassis flex , the tires still never hooked 100 % & I used a brutal clutch , it went in gold in color & came out B5 blue from heat from slippage , it was a ceramic metallic disc & was the only thing that would even live behind that engine , I replaced 2 clutches in it in the first 300 miles !!
I transferred the whole drivetrain into my tube chassis Cuda , it weighed 2600 lbs I used a far bigger dual disc clutch & a 14x 32" slick , the Cuda launched so much harder than the Duster it was unreal , the chassis did not flex & the clutch & tires did not slip it ran a mid 9 . On the first launch at only 3300 rpm it tore 10 teeth from the pinion gear & 33 teeth off the ring gear & only went approx 40" under partial power , it required a Dana to make a second launch  even at part throttle !

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on November 02, 2018, 07:30:26 AM
IMO no it is not feasable ...
I am sure it will fit , but either you are pulling a trailer with Race fuel or if it will run at all on pump gas you will limit the power to a much lower level .
this is a perfect competition engine for some serious competition such as the drag Pack body shells Mopar was offering or some serious road course racing .
For street use the Hellcrate has to be the ultimate choice at least it si pump gas friendly & 800hp should be enough !!
Trans choice is a tough call , A well built 727 / 518 will take a lot of power Lencos will take it all day , T56 Magnum or a T5050 should hold up but maybe not drag racing on slicks .
The diff is a no brainer , get a Dana or buy something less & break it anyway & replace it with a Dana .
I learned a ton with my Duster , 575 HP 440 on a motor plate  / A833 Alum OD / 4.30 8 3/4 , floating ladder bar suspension  , 3400 lb with me in it , it had a 10 point cage , the rear frame rails were moved inward & it was tubbed , I was running 11.7s @ 118 in the 1/4 with a 1.40 60' time on an 10.5 x 29.5 " slick  . I street drove the Duster & never had a trailer taking it to the track .
This car never ran its potential , I still had chassis flex , the tires still never hooked 100 % & I used a brutal clutch , it went in gold in color & came out B5 blue from heat from slippage , it was a ceramic metallic disc & was the only thing that would even live behind that engine !
I transferred the whole drivetrain into my tube chassis Cuda , it weighed 2600 lbs I used a far bigger dual disc clutch & a 14x 32" slick , the Cuda launched so much harder than the Duster it was unreal , the chassis did not flex & the clutch & tires did not slip it ran a mid 9 . On the first launch at only 3300 rpm it tore 10 teeth from the pinion gear & 33 teeth off the ring gear & only went approx 40" under partial power , it required a Dana to make a second launch  even at part throttle !

Unless something has changed, I read the 1,000hp rating is on pump gas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Chryco Psycho

SO can it be done ? Absolutely YES
Will you be able to run it & drive it ? Yes
Will you ever get the full potential  ? No ... which is why I would suggest working on using the full potential of the Hellcrate & it will take pump gas at least !
In an stock body I would suggest 10 pt cage & subframes & tubs at a minimum , every stiffening part should be added , tq boxes , rad support brace , inner fender bracing etc , Tub it absolutely you need all of the tire you can fit . Driveshaft would need to be alum or Carbon fiber , I recommend loops at both ends ,
For suspension I have had far better success with floating ladderbar systems over the endlessly adjustable 4 links , my Duster would lift the front wheels 2 feet & carry them 40'!! On the first launch with my Duster I twisted both axles approx 30% so how far did I twist them so they would have a 30% twist memory !!  Keep in mind  I was running less than 60% of the power of the Hellephant !!
A full tube chassis car would be better suited for this engine , less weight & stiffer chassis , a 14 x32 " tire would be a good start !
As suggested using the tires as the weakest link is perfect but you can light tires with a lot less power & losing control at speed / drifting at 100 mph is not for the faint of heart !!
This is insane power , current Pro stocks are probably making similar power , SS/A Cudas & Darts running into the 7s are running 800-900 hp , at the track as soon as you run under 10 seconds which should be easy you need a 10 pt cage 3 layer fire suit & a track licence to drive it !

Chryco Psycho

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on November 02, 2018, 07:39:57 AM

Unless something has changed, I read the 1,000hp rating is on pump gas.

OK I am still learning on the specs on this beast !!
I am just sharing my real world experience based on having spent a lot of time behind the wheel of serious 800 hp cars & this exceed even that !!
The Cummins is a different & awesome beast as well , my Cummins dynoed at 930 ft lbs but the truck is geared differently weighed in at 7700 lbs empty & did not rev like the Hemi will !!
I completely agree with Shane what a fun toy !!
$ Sheldon as well what else could you build as cheaply & be reliable !!
I would be very tempted to pull the V10 & slide it into a Viper chassis !!!

Chryco Psycho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PWwrOILaV8&feature=youtu.be
that oil pan is not going to fit the std Mopar K frame for sure & I bet the exhaust manifolds won't either !

BIGSHCLUNK

Wow! ...... this is some crazy $hit ! Yeeowwza  :burnout:

gzig5

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on November 02, 2018, 08:59:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PWwrOILaV8&feature=youtu.be
that oil pan is not going to fit the std Mopar K frame for sure & I bet the exhaust manifolds won't either !

I think most/all of the gen 3 hemi/hellcrate swaps are using custom k frames anyway, at least all the ones I've seen.  I'd want something stronger up front than the stock system anyway to move the "fuse" to something that is easier to fix/change.

Brads70

If someone was so inclined to donate one I'd shoehorn in into my new to me Javelin?  :idea:

:haha:

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: 7212Mopar on November 01, 2018, 12:47:27 PM
Ok. Need someone to pick one up and do a "How To" thread covering finding the right transmission, rear ends, driveshaft and chassis work.

I just need a donated engine and I'll have it in the car and running in just a couple days!

My T56 magnum is ready to go.

1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

HP_Cuda

Funny that is NASCAR horsepower, anyone want to sponsor a new team?

:rofl:
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Cudakiller70

Seriously what could go wrong!
Just do it, remember it was said we couldn't handle speeds over 35!