Main Menu

Hellephant - Is it feasible?

Started by 303 Mopar, October 31, 2018, 06:46:32 PM

Previous topic Next topic

7212Mopar

May be I am a TV sucker but I thought the cars in Street Outlaws are 3000+ HP. Are they all using custom trans and diffs that may be adapted for the Helliphant?
1973 Challenger Rallye, 416 AT
2012 Challenger SRT8 6 speed Yellow Jacket

soundcontrol

It would be nice but so expensive. I really would like the magic number 426 though. My plan for now is to get my 6.1 running, then later (probably years later) get a blower for it, and maybe then a stroker kit to get to 426. That wound give me around 650-700HP. I talked to Edelbrock at SEMA, their blower is $3500, plus some extra for the front end and tuning etc. not bad. Power is just addictive and a ride in my buddys Shelby GT500 with a blower makes me want more of it.

WCC

The Hellephant project is amazing and Dodge has all my respect for pushing the boundaries. After all the excitement has given way to some practicality, one starts thinking about an everyday ride and if this beast can even logically be considered for one? What would all the considerations for an everyday ride be if it was feasible?

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: soundcontrol on November 02, 2018, 10:39:13 PM
It would be nice but so expensive. I really would like the magic number 426 though. My plan for now is to get my 6.1 running, then later (probably years later) get a blower for it, and maybe then a stroker kit to get to 426. That wound give me around 650-700HP. I talked to Edelbrock at SEMA, their blower is $3500, plus some extra for the front end and tuning etc. not bad. Power is just addictive and a ride in my buddys Shelby GT500 with a blower makes me want more of it.

Blowers have a lot to offer for street driven manners. I am planning on either a Whipple kit for my 5.7L or a take-out Hellcat engine for my 'Cuda after the kids get out of daycare. A whipple on a basic 5.7L will get me to a Hellcat horsepower-to-weight ratio, easily.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

HP_Cuda

Of course, the higher the horsepower the lower the everyday drive-ability factor kicks in.

But sure would be quite fun. 
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Chryco Psycho

It seems with all of the computer controls , EFI with better fuel atomization & the fuel entering right behind the intake valve that very serious engines will fire every cylinder all the time , idle well & are very street drivable compared old school high HP builds

gzig5

Quote from: HP_Cuda on November 03, 2018, 01:43:28 PM

Of course, the higher the horsepower the lower the everyday drive-ability factor kicks in.

But sure would be quite fun.

Nice thing with a blower is the power is very linear.  If you don't want your eyeballs sucked to the back of your skull then keep your foot out of it.  Car behaves very well at part throttle.   But it is always there if you want it.

HP_Cuda

Blowers can actually provide good gas mileage as long as you keep your foot out of it!

But what I was talking about is 1000hp +
1970 Cuda Yellow 440 4 speed (Sold)
1970 Cuda clone 440 4 speed FJ5
1975 Dodge Power Wagon W200

Cudakiller70

Just read this older review of an AC Cobra, reminded me of this thread. Especially the last 2 sentences.

"There is nothing nice about a Cobra. It is stripped down to the essentials- a big engine, a small car, and four wide tires to keep the whole business on pavement. Its loud, smells like gasoline, and shakes, shudders, and bucks. It makes your arms tired and your feet hot. You nearly crash about once every 10 minutes. Its so damn wonderful that you cant believe it" Automobile Magazine 2004

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: Cudakiller70 on November 04, 2018, 12:06:28 PM
Just read this older review of an AC Cobra, reminded me of this thread. Especially the last 2 sentences.

"There is nothing nice about a Cobra. It is stripped down to the essentials- a big engine, a small car, and four wide tires to keep the whole business on pavement. Its loud, smells like gasoline, and shakes, shudders, and bucks. It makes your arms tired and your feet hot. You nearly crash about once every 10 minutes. Its so damn wonderful that you cant believe it" Automobile Magazine 2004

My experience driving a 2016 ACR Viper wasn't exactly the same, but the car definitely wanted to kill you. It's a terrible street car and should be on the track. I loved it!
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Chryco Psycho

I guess I just consider it a challenge ..... the car wants to kill you & I want to see how far I can push it & stay on this side  :cooldance:
I have driven a few different Cobras , & there is very little I like about them... but performance is there !

303 Mopar

In the latest email update from SST, they list the TREMEC 6 spd Magnum trans as a great match for the Hellephant - https://shiftsst.com/articles/hellephant-tremec-magnum-6-speed/?utm_source=Nov2018&utm_medium=Nov2018&utm_campaign=Nov2018&utm_term=Nov2018&utm_content=Nov2018

I emailed them to ask why they think this would be a good trans when its only rated up to 700 ft/lb tq and the big engine is at 950. They replied quickly "Easy. The 700 torque rating is for a 24 hour constant input. Plus, the trans has a 150,000 mile duty cycle at that rating.  950 torque is nothing new and I've seen this plus more put in front of a Magnum since it came out 8 years ago. We even warranty it for 36 months."

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: 303 Mopar on November 07, 2018, 09:44:33 AM
In the latest email update from SST, they list the TREMEC 6 spd Magnum trans as a great match for the Hellephant - https://shiftsst.com/articles/hellephant-tremec-magnum-6-speed/?utm_source=Nov2018&utm_medium=Nov2018&utm_campaign=Nov2018&utm_term=Nov2018&utm_content=Nov2018

I emailed them to ask why they think this would be a good trans when its only rated up to 700 ft/lb tq and the big engine is at 950. They replied quickly "Easy. The 700 torque rating is for a 24 hour constant input. Plus, the trans has a 150,000 mile duty cycle at that rating.  950 torque is nothing new and I've seen this plus more put in front of a Magnum since it came out 8 years ago. We even warranty it for 36 months."

Fortunately this was a big reason my car was built around a T56 magnum and not a high dollar engine. Budgeting wise I needed to pick one or the other, so I installed the last transmission I'll ever need. I can always upgrade an engine in a short time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

YellowThumper

At a given HP level (enter number here) the costs for every ancillary item goes up exponentially.  IE. Picture a mushroom cloud and you may get close.
Life is to be viewed thru the windshield. Not rear view mirror.
You are the only one in charge of your destiny.

Mike.

Sleepychallenger

It would be one hell of a cool thing to have in the car. If you're not hammering the throttle you would be able to cruise it. Think it would be more of a novelty than anything else

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk