Main Menu

Used Hemi and trans swaps

Started by CudaMoparRay, April 28, 2018, 02:48:15 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

Yes: As much as I cringe when I hear "LS swap" there is a reason so many do it.
Sheldon

1 Wild R/T

Yup.... Chrysler might have a more loyal enthusiast base if they supported us.... Very much the reason I don't care about new Mopar's is because they have never supported us...

xx88man

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on April 29, 2018, 10:47:36 AM
Yup.... Chrysler might have a more loyal enthusiast base if they supported us.... Very much the reason I don't care about new Mopar's is because they have never supported us...

Ya I can understand that.... I had no idea! 
Keep yer foot in it

CudaMoparRay

First, Thank you everyone for your great input.  :worship:
One more question before I put to rest buying a used hemi engine with everything versus a new Mopar hemi crate engine made for our cars.
Can't the factory PCM from a used one be "dumbed" down like the Mopar new crate options to NOT see all the other stuff and thereby just work with our classic cars?
Maybe even leaving the things that control the 8 speed auto trans? :thinking:
I presume Mopar did it with a flash mechanism of some sort that comes with some options of their crate engines so that we can continue to tune to our liking? :clueless:
Just an example: http://www.shophemi.com/c-1051-tuning-and-calibration.aspx

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: CudaMoparRay on April 30, 2018, 03:35:57 PM
One more question before I put to rest buying a used hemi engine with everything versus a new Mopar hemi crate engine made for our cars.
Can't the factory PCM from a used one be "dumbed" down like the Mopar new crate options to NOT see all the other stuff and thereby just work with our classic cars?
I presume Mopar did it with a flash mechanism of some sort that comes with some options of their crate engines so that we can continue to tune to our liking? :clueless:

One can run the factory ECU as a standalone for the engine [hotwire]. The 8spd issue still remains..
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on April 30, 2018, 04:38:25 PM

One can run the factory ECU as a standalone for the engine [hotwire]. The 8spd issue still remains..

From what Roadkill & Ass Monkey were saying apparently thats not the case with the Hellcat....  Thought Ass Monkey did get theirs running but it required bringing in a couple of different computer geeks to get it running...

GoodysGotaCuda

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on April 30, 2018, 05:34:26 PM
Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on April 30, 2018, 04:38:25 PM

From what Roadkill & Ass Monkey were saying apparently thats not the case with the Hellcat....  Thought Ass Monkey did get theirs running but it required bringing in a couple of different computer geeks to get it running...

I'm not sure what they actually had to do off camera..I believe they still ran a Powerglide and not the 8spd however.
1972 Barracuda - 5.7L Hemi/T56 Magnum
2020 RAM 1500 - 5.7L

My Wheel and Tire Specs

Chryco Psycho

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on April 30, 2018, 06:05:34 PM
I'm not sure what they actually had to do off camera..I believe they still ran a Powerglide and not the 8spd however.

Yup, powerglide... My point being the stock PCM won't allow the engine to run in it's stock configuration without lots of stock components.... Now that it's been done maybe the required programming mods have been shared amongst tuners making the task easier but Chrysler went out of their way to make it difficult.....

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on April 30, 2018, 08:24:38 PM
Quote from: GoodysGotaCuda on April 30, 2018, 06:05:34 PM

Yup, powerglide... My point being the stock PCM won't allow the engine to run in it's stock configuration without lots of stock components.... Now that it's been done maybe the required programming mods have been shared amongst tuners making the task easier but Chrysler went out of their way to make it difficult.....

Almost seems this would be easier for me to do  :haha:

Cuda70-74

So doing this kinda swap is going to be alot harder than my 69 mustang efi swap
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger

1 Wild R/T

Quote from: Cuda70-74 on May 01, 2018, 04:59:53 PM

What motor did you put in the 69?   I've got a 93 5.0 HO swapped into my Falcon, it was a piece of cake....  But then I started in a Ford dealer right after I got out of the Navy & worked my way up to shop foreman then got hired by Ford so I know my way around those older Ford 5.0 HO's... 

Chryco Psycho

I dont see it as being that hard , , Mopar doesn't want to help tho , trans is the biggest part , the 518 will bolt up , or A833 / A855 / T56mag all work

CudaMoparRay

Quote from: Chryco Psycho on May 01, 2018, 06:33:36 PM
I dont see it as being that hard , , Mopar doesn't want to help tho , trans is the biggest part , the 518 will bolt up , or A833 / A855 / T56mag all work

Good to know and probably just keep the A518 that is there already saving time, money and for the moment headaches.

Cuda70-74

Quote from: 1 Wild R/T on May 01, 2018, 05:15:34 PM
Quote from: Cuda70-74 on May 01, 2018, 04:59:53 PM

What motor did you put in the 69?   I've got a 93 5.0 HO swapped into my Falcon, it was a piece of cake....  But then I started in a Ford dealer right after I got out of the Navy & worked my way up to shop foreman then got hired by Ford so I know my way around those older Ford 5.0 HO's...
89 5.0 HO the swap was easy. This mopar stuff is another thing
1969 mustang
1974 cuda turnt into a 71 cuda
1968 charger