Previous topic Next topic

blown motor

Very sweet car! Let the fun begin.
Who has more fun than people!
68 Charger R/T    74 Challenger Rallye 
12 Challenger RT Classic    15 Challenger SXT
79 Macho Power Wagon clone    17 Ram Rebel

7E-Bodies

I'd give you employee of the year for not calling in sick and driving the piss out of that. I'll bet that was a long work day!
1970 Challenger R/T Numbers Matching 440 Auto in F8 Quad Green

Brads70

Quote from: 7E-Bodies on February 29, 2020, 03:30:21 PM
I'd give you employee of the year for not calling in sick and driving the piss out of that. I'll bet that was a long work day!

:haha: :bravo:   Well said!

gpm6367

Finally got out to shop and wiped off road grime with detailer and microfiber clothes.

I'm going to put up a series of posts here some with questions so please check back from time to time.

gpm6367

First order of business: the 80s called and they want their steering wheel wrap back. 😁

7E-Bodies

Beautiful! I'm on my 9th one and still asking questions. Looking forward to more of your follow ups.

gpm6367

I knew the block casting number was correct and casting date lined up with vehicle. VIN is stamped on oil pan rail but still wanted to see the machined pad tucked under the distributor. G 383 (71) HP (bottom out of view) and 9 2 which is sept 2 engine assembly on a sept 8 assembled vehicle. Casting date is 8 12 so all number line up.

6bblgt

8) & it looks more correctly "light gunmetal" in your pics VS. the dealer's  :twothumbsup:

gpm6367

Ok what carb should be on a 71 383? Holley? What markings are stamped on it and where? Air horn? Date?

anlauto

Not meant as anything negative, but if you want help correct a few little details that are incorrect on the car, we all would be glad to help. Just keep posting some pictures  :bigthumb:
Small details such as the R/T emblems on the fenders and trunk lid...they should not be there....
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

6bblgt

here's the 1971 383 4bbl carburetor availability list

383 manual - E & B-body
orange HP engine
---------- Holley R4667A ---------- part number 3512 848 on b'cast 48
383 manual - E & B-body - with "fresh air" (N96).
orange HP engine
---------- Holley R4734A ---------- part number 3512 849 on b'cast 49

***** some sources show the following manual trans carbs with the same part numbers *****

383 manual - E & B-body
orange HP engine
---------- Holley R6191A ---------- part number 3512 848 on b'cast 48
383 manual - E & B-body - with "fresh air" (N96).
orange HP engine
---------- Holley R6193A ---------- part number 3512 849 on b'cast 49

383 automatic - C-body
blue engine
---------- Carter 6125S ---------- part number 3512 844 on b'cast 44

383 automatic - E & B-body
orange HP engine
---------- Holley R4668A ---------- part number 3512 830 on b'cast 30
383 automatic - E & B-body - with "fresh air" (N96).
orange HP engine
---------- Holley R4735A ---------- part number 3512 842 on b'cast 42

gpm6367

Yes I am all about getting it right and have many questions. Im thick skinned so your not going to offend me by pointing out anything incorrect.

So those R/T emblems were added? Hopefully they are just glued on and I can remove with an adjedive remover.

gpm6367

Ok so I'm guessing this is an aftermarket Holley judging from its finish and electric choke. I can see where the OEM choke should be on the intake. Is the choke assembly reproduced?

What about air horn stamping on original carbs? How are they dated? Anyone have any pictures of original carb and choke assembly?

7E-Bodies

@gpm6367 the main thing here is you have the car. It's stunning. The little things, take one at a time. There's plenty of good help here. I'm a purist myself and wish mine were this done. Rejoice in the fact that you can fire it up and enjoy it.

JS29

:iagree: My barracuda looked great when i bought it, that was about it though. It took four months or so to get to the point were i could drive and enjoy it.  :handshake: