Main Menu

New to the car resto world. Going to be starting '70 cuda aar

Started by garrettlmiller, May 11, 2020, 11:07:59 PM

Previous topic Next topic

RUNCHARGER

Yes, we like to answer the questions publically so all can benefit. We also do not humble a newby because they ask a simple question. We've all been there starting out and we maintain a great level of respect on this forum.
Sheldon

xx88man

:welcome:  to the best Mopar forum ever. Congrats on owning a car most of us would love to have but never will. I'll be following along
Keep yer foot in it

Shoooter

CudaMoparRay

anlauto

I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

340challconvert

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

garrettlmiller

Hey everyone,

sorry I disappeared.  I'm ALIVE!  Covid's been a wild ride financially and personally for me.  The Cuda is still in the same spot as when I did my original post.  Weather depending I'll definitely send some more pictures out tomorrow as I start this little adventure.  I'm still extremely humbled and excited by everyone's posts.  I've got some money saved up to move forward on this project now but it will be slower than I think ANYONE wants. 

That said, my first order of business is getting the Intake and carburetors off the car this weekend so I can trade back with the guy that loaned my step-dad 30 years ago or so for our 6-pak.  I have a friend coming over that has worked on classic cars, but as I've mentioned previously I'm a COMPLETE noob when it comes to working on cars.  That said, if you need your computer fixed I'm your guy.  8)

Engine bay is super rusty.  Probably the roughest part of the whole car really.  Does anyone have any suggestions or advice so I don't break any bolts off or make my first mistake way too early.  Equipment I'll likely need to buy and stuff like that.    pretty much where im at is spray some bolts with PBblaster/wd40 9/16 wobbly drive and possibly a putty knife? 

I'll post some pics of the condition below.  Excited to be back and thank you! 

Chryco Psycho

Welcome Back , glad you are still with us !
Use a real penetrant Not WD 40 , Use good tools , for example a quality tool like snap on will remove a bolt already stripped by cheaper tools , just take your time & work the bolts out slowly , if they bind go the other way & add more lube .

DeathProofCuda

Quote from: garrettlmiller on March 19, 2021, 07:36:05 PM
Hey everyone,

sorry I disappeared.  I'm ALIVE!  Covid's been a wild ride financially and personally for me.  The Cuda is still in the same spot as when I did my original post.  Weather depending I'll definitely send some more pictures out tomorrow as I start this little adventure.  I'm still extremely humbled and excited by everyone's posts.  I've got some money saved up to move forward on this project now but it will be slower than I think ANYONE wants. 

That said, my first order of business is getting the Intake and carburetors off the car this weekend so I can trade back with the guy that loaned my step-dad 30 years ago or so for our 6-pak.  I have a friend coming over that has worked on classic cars, but as I've mentioned previously I'm a COMPLETE noob when it comes to working on cars.  That said, if you need your computer fixed I'm your guy.  8)

Engine bay is super rusty.  Probably the roughest part of the whole car really.  Does anyone have any suggestions or advice so I don't break any bolts off or make my first mistake way too early.  Equipment I'll likely need to buy and stuff like that.    pretty much where im at is spray some bolts with PBblaster/wd40 9/16 wobbly drive and possibly a putty knife? 

I'll post some pics of the condition below.  Excited to be back and thank you!

@garrettlmiller, I'm in Seattle and have owned a 70 Cuda for 30+ years.  I'm no expert, but if you'd like someone that is familiar with working on these cars to lay eyes or your project, or if you just want to shoot the $hit about Mopars send me a PM.  Would be great to see that thing back on the road soon. :burnout:

ledphoot

What a great car to learn to restore on :)

AAR Cuda's are one of my all time favorite hot rods.

You're in good hands with this forum, some real experts here who aren't afraid to share their craft.

MoparsNBurnouts

1970 Dodge Challenger R/T 440

jimynick

Welcome to the site from Ontario,  :canada:. In addition to "arranging" for you to have your hands on what you by now know is an expensive and valuable car, maybe it's time the old man also shows you how to remove those rusty bolts? You're about to embark on a life changing endeavour and maybe the old boy would enjoy helping you do it. You'll learn many things- both automotive and personal if he does. Good luck!  :wave:
In the immortal words of Jimmy Scott- "pace yourself!"

70 Top Banana

Welcome from metro Detroit and a great car to start with! Even better it was your dads car and in the family so long. I agree with Anlauto. Take a little time and think about what you want the car to be. For me the first thing would be to get it running and evaluate how well it runs. That will mean cleaning up the fuel system, cooling  and brakes. Then you can decide where you want to take the car. Silver is cool and it would look good or drive it like it is. If it were me and I chose to paint the car, I would paint it the factory color EK2 Vitamin C orange and it looks great on that car.
Keep us posted and take a lot of pics!

340challconvert

Still working on restoring my A66 Challenger vert myself. Suggestion; take pictures of an area before you disassemble. Get dollar store storage bags and bag and label everything

Data Moderator A66 Challenger Registry

Owner of 1970 A66 Challenger convertible

Montclaire

I have a feeling that your definition of rusty is different than most of the people on this forum.  I'm going to give you some sound advice, gained from fooling around with these cars since 1996; if the car can be made safe to drive the way it sits, then do that.  You have a very valuable car and you will most likely hurt it's value trying to "make it look good." 

You don't have enough knowledge to restore this car in your garage, and that is not a knock on you.  Many parts on these cars are NOT reproduced or are different from what the car came with originally.  Document, photograph and save EVERYTHING that comes off the car - nearly everything has a date code. The engine block, heads, steering box and other pieces are unique to AARs and T/As.  You won't find replacements at Autozone and you need to have only very trusted, competent people around this car.

Again, if you can change a few wear items and get the car safe enough to pass state inspection and go for an ice cream, that is about as far as I would take it until you can get extremely familiar with what makes that particular car special and how to protect its value.  You should only be driving it on dry, sunny days anyway - it's not going to get any worse.

Good luck with the car, you are one lucky SOB. Lol