Main Menu

Newbie, could use advice

Started by journeycuda, July 28, 2020, 08:15:33 PM

Previous topic Next topic

journeycuda

Hi everyone thank you for accepting me at your home.

I was one of those kids that grew up watching the Dukes of Hazard, in a land far far away and dreamed of coming one day to America.

At some point I did an in 1990 I came within a hair of buying a white Dart with a 318, but it was not meant to be. It would not be until a few years ago I bought a Hemi Orange 2010 Challenger, but the love for old Mopars would not be satiated.

So, I would like to build what I think is called a restomod for a 70-74 Cuda. I love and respect old cars, so I don't want to get a complete, mostly complete, or running car and then gut it to do something else, so I would prefer to find a rolling shell in decent shape.

So, what would you guys advise me to do?
Any pointers?
What do you guys expect a decent shell to run?

Thank you all for any help or pointers.

Chryco Psycho

Welcome to te site from Panama !
I recommend buyin te best most complete car you can find / afford , searcin out all of te missin parts costs a fortune

Cuda Cody

:iagree:  Yes, building a resto mod is getting pretty expensive.  You'll be money ahead if you can find a done car.  But then you lose the fun of doing it yourself.

soundcontrol

Welcome from Sweden!  :sweden:

What they said, try to get a complete car.
I bought a 73 Challenger rusty shell, and a 5.7 Hemi + 833 manual. Lots of parts (most parts!) where missing and it gets expensive buying those parts one by one.
I bought this car because I got a very good deal on the shell, but I see after collecting all parts that it would have been way cheaper to get
a complete car.

CudaA39

First and foremost I'd look for a car needing no, or at most 'very little', body work.  This stage is where so many projects go to die.  My Cuda spent almost a decade in body shop jail and absolutely derailed the project for my parents.

Buying a complete car saves you from getting nickel and dimes over small bolts, fasteners, or sub assemblies that you could restore yourself.

Check out my 71 Gen3 build:

https://youtu.be/XSDAWczXoZw

2015 Tri-State Stock/Superstock Champion
2017 Monster Mopar Weekend Sunday Pro Winner
2018 Monster Mopar Weekend Friday No Box Winner and 11.50 R/U

dodgemania

cudamadd

Yep a complete car to start with .These cars are so popular around the world and getting harder to get. But welcome to the best place for our beloved ebody .  :australia:

rdf

:welcome:

Welcome!!  As most others have already suggested, I'd get the most decent car for the money that you can afford.  If you have a bodyshop or mechanic shop at your disposal, then taking on a car that needs a little more help may be worth it to you but that's all up to you.   :wrenching:

I'm doing the same with my 73 'Cuda and just replacing old parts with new ones (not necessarily factory or NOS) and it's gotten quite expensive....but, it's worth it because you'll have a nice ride in the end.

Good luck on your hunt for your car and be sure to start a project thread so we can all follow!!
If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes...so tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

anlauto

You'll pay more up front for a finished car vs a rolling shell, but once finished you'll have way more money into building your dream car.

They both have advantages and dis advantages.

Buying a finished car will cost less in the end, but you don't know what you're getting and because you want a "resto-mod" it might not be 100% modified to your liking.
Building your dream car, you'll get exactly what you want, but quickly learn how expensive things are, and it takes a lot longer. :alan2cents:
I've taught you everything you know....but I haven't taught you everything I know....
Check out my web site ....  Alan Gallant Automotive Restoration

JS29

R/T's 4 R/P

Welcome.
Being in Panama, part availability is likely more difficult than in the states. Just guessing.
Another reason for buying a completed car.

If you do decide to dive in yourself, please don't 'destroy' an otherwise valuable collector car.  Start with a 6 cylinder or 318 car.

After having friends work on restomods, you are essentially making a streetrod.  Even in this world where people have done it, there are so many differences. Electronics and mating everything to an old chassis is a lot of work if you want it to work well.  I would venture to say that anyone who says they spent XX time or $$ is probably off by 50%.  Then there is the overall balance and vehicle dynamics that few people seem to think is important.  The auto industry spends a lot of time, money and testing on making sure a car is stable at speed, or stops in a certain distance.  Many people seem to think as long as it moves and stops is good enough.
70 R/T 440 6 Pack
70 T/A
70 SE R/T 383
2015 SRT

RUNCHARGER

Sheldon

CudaMoparRay

:welcome: from Riverside California

RT999

Dakota

My car didn't need much in the way of body work, but I did get it stripped and repainted... then "mission creep" set in and the long list of parts I ended up replacing instead of re-using started to get filled out.   I'm on year 8, and just got my engine started for the first time 2 days ago.  It can be a long process depending on how much work you're going to take on.   A dismantled car can take up a lot of room, so plan accordingly for possible long term storage.